11 weeks on citalopram

Posted , 7 users are following.

I am almost 12 weeks on 10 mg citalopram. The first few weeks I felt quite chilled out if not quite spaced out. My anxiety was very bad before I took it. I have had a few moments of feeling more relaxed but the last month or so it doesmt seem to have improved any. Im not sleeping which also ismt helping at all. My anxiety feels like its just as bad as before I started taking it. Im gathering there is no room for improvement?? Although im not crying anymore it hasnt done much for the anxiety. Im looking for some reassurance from people who take it that it will get better.... Ive tried other antidepressants and just cant tolerate any at all!

0 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Just keep takng it.... It may take months.... But it will work....
    • Posted

Hi alison yes im on citalopram 10mg , im on week 12 , morning anxiety is unnoticeable , feeling slight progress every week, compare 2 mos ago i am completely different now. Not depressed minimal anxiety...

It worked for me before i took it 1 year and and i became very normal... When i weened off after 6 mos anxiety came back so im planning to take for a longer period in minimal dose 10mg....

My advice is stick with tye meds,, just keep yourself busy, i know its hard but you will feel better

Just keep posting or asking question here, katecogs and everyone is very helpful ,,, im always looking for reasuurance like you and they always help me

I think im 90% back to myself, hopefully the end of november im fully back to myself

• Posted

Hi john.

Well I seen my psychiatrist yesterday and she wants me to increase to 20 mg. Im so nervous about doing it but at the same time just want to feel like me again!

How are you doing?

• Posted

I hope you stay a little longer with 10mg, cause maybe its working but a little longer because its a low dose....but we have different response i guess, cause its working for me and katecogs,

Can you give it a few more weeks then if you see no to little progress then thats the time to increase the dose

Its my personal choice to maintain at 10mg so that if the time comes i need to wthdraw from the meds it will not be difficult....

Just keep taking your meds and i know in fee weeks time youll be better and close to your normal self

Be with your relative and friends... Watch your favorite movie. Listen to your fav song... Happy song pls hehehe....

• Posted

I agreed to the increase bcus of how bad my anxiety is. Ive been unwell with anxiety and depression for almost 4 years.

I took 20 mg yesterday and tody feel awful. Headachey, funny tummy, feel sick and very woozy headed. Im not sure whether this is normal as the psychiatrist told me I wouldnt get side effects??? Im glad the 10 mg is working for you :-)

• Posted

Sorry to butt in, but just wanted to say that after 15 years being ill and taking many different types of anti depressants and counselling, I was out onto these meds and recovered on 20mg.

It always amazes me that some doctors say 'you won't get any side effects' .... I wish they'd try them and see for themselves.  They're meant to be triained in this.

Yes that is the side effects you're feeling, and it's quite normal.  Just keep persevering as what you're feeling will ease in time.

K x

• Posted

So do the increase if you think you really need to... I dont know the feeling but i guess you will experience the side effect of the drug again but hopefully in a minimum way...

• Posted

Hey john Vince how long did it take for your tablets to kick in I'm on day 23 x
    • Posted

Hi sparkly, i started to noticed the big difference between 11 weeks to 12 weeks, im on my 13 week @ 10mg, feeling better compare two months ago...so dont be discourage it may take few more weeks for you but it will work....

Take care always

Just buzz me anytime and i will answer as soon as i can

Goodnight everyone Godbless

• Posted

Hi everyone.... First of all let me say this forum was my life for the first 2 weeks I was on the meds... I for a split second looked at the whole packet on day 9 and wanted to take the lot... Not to die but feel better!!!!

Any way I'm on week 13 and last 6 weeks have been amazing... Working again, going out again and taking my daughter out.... Until yesterday!!!

Driving her to child care the only way I can describe it was like a wave of cold water through my body and then needing the loo...this then paniced me and then I felt over whelming anxiety I carried on driving and was ok but now I'm scared it will happen again....

Anyone else xx

• Posted

Hi Emma

'Blips' are expected throughout recovery - feeling well / not well comes in waves - often you start getting better, feel great for weeks and then out of the blue a wave of panic or anxiety can hit you, or you can wake feeling anxious.  It is quite normal (though really annoying and frustrating).

You did the right thing by carrying on.  Letting that feeling wash over you, letting it be there, relax and letting it pass by is the best thing (I know its not easy either), and just carry on with what you're doing (as best as possible in a relaxed way).  Tensing up against it, running from it only reinforces it.  Nothing will happen to you, and as unpleasant as it is, it really is only a physical feeling, and one that will pass.

It's only temporary.

The medicine is working well for you, and your body is still adjusting.  You won't feel like that as time moves on.

Do let your doctor know though - its always best to report everything to him.

K xx

• Posted

Hi

Thank you so much....I've been continuing to push myself out

The other thing I thought it maybe was a change in brand of citlrapram

Em xxx

• Posted

A lot of people have noticed a change when they have a different brand of meds.  Apparently the outer shell can be different, but the active ingredients are the same (inside).  Worth checking out though.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.