11 weeks post right TKR ... update and moving ahead

Posted , 13 users are following.

Dear fellow TKRs

It is almost 12 weeks since my TKR and at last I have really turned the corner and am feeling way better.  Like everybody else, it has been a rollercoaster of pain, heat, swelling, lack of sleep, nasty drugs and occasional bouts of self-pity and depression.  BUT, it is a new year and I walk with no pain, the swelling is well on the way out though there is still some, some heat but much less, still take painkillers like paracetomol or co proxamol up to four times a day .... but no more really nasty stuff.

I generally sleep ok now, though for a while I found a pillow between the knees good, then gave it up and have now gone back to it. If I wake and the knee is hot, it is not hot enough to bother icing it.  Occasionally I use an ice pack during the evening while I watch tv.

I have had some complications with my back; I had a two level lumbar fusion back in February and the knee/back combination has been difficult at times but I think things will settle as I walk better and with better posture.

The TKR was supposed to be a doddle compared to my back op. but as you all know, the reality of TKR is a hard, painful, emotional slog.  I pray to goodness the other knee does not catch up as I hope I don't ever have to go through it again.  On the other hand ......... take 10 to 12 weeks out of your whole life and come out of it with a less painful knee, even if it feels 'odd' ... it is worth it in the end.

This next bit of recuperation must be to get fitter, lose some weight and use my new mobility to best advantage.  I have a 115 degree bend, can walk around quite well now, cooked Christmas Day lunch and did not have to retreat to bed for a couple of days afterwards to recuperate.

To everybody out there suffering, afraid, despairing etc .... hang in there as there IS light at the end of the tunnel!

HAPPY NEW YEAR

3 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Wow. So needed to hear this today! I am 18 days post op, have gone off the drugs that were making me so sick and impeding my progress. Just today I was wishing for a fast forward button to just get this over with. Thanks for the encouragement, I really needed to hear it today!

Best of luck to you as you journey forward!

• Posted

Good to read this.  Perhaps there is a light at the end of the tunnel.  I am now 10 weeks post op and still have significant leg pain, down the shin to the foot.  Recently I've been having sharp shooting pains in different areas around the knee and down the leg.  I have now been on Lyrica for nerve pain for 5 weeks with no improvement.  I am at 108 degrees bend.  I've been told by therapist that the goal is 110.  I still need a cane when I'm out in unfamiliar places.  I, too, hope to never have the other knee done!
  • Posted

Brilliant, it is good to see there is light at the end of the tunnel, I'm half way there, well done you and thank you for sharing the joy, good luck and Happy New Year to you too.
  • Posted

Thank you everybody for your 'congrats' and encouragement.  You make me sound more positive than I am in real life!  I still cannot make my leg and brain connect coming downstairs ... I am walking for longer ... have GOT to be more disciplined about the exercises if I am to maximise movement and stamina ... Monday I call a trainer who does back rehab and Pilates ...and the diet starts too!
  • Posted

Your input very welcome. I considered myself a vet on TKR having had my left knee replaced in 2011 and sailed through it. Full bend and back to cycling 80+ miles a week within three months. This time right knee and a nightmare! Discharged after 5 days with about 60 degrees bend.and 10 degrees short of a straight leg. Using my previous experience I began self Physio and have managed to increase the bend to 90  and reduce the other to 2. This some 8 weeks after op. My problems are stiffness after sitting or standing too long and getting the bend beyond 90. Saw my consultant 8 days ago and told I should be better than this. I exercise 4 times daily, about all I can bear, and most of that on a mini cycle.  My road bike is on a turbo trainer but I cannot as yet do a complete revolution. I seem to have reached an impasse and cannot get through the pain. There also seems to be a blocking sensation. Any suggestions to improve would help. Medication helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.