12 cm dermoid cyst could it be cancerous

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi

i have been ttc for 3.5 years to no success so i have been referred to the fertility clinic. Upon this referral i have been told i have a 12 cm dermoid on my right ovary and will need surgery to remove it (12 week waiting list) I may possibly lose the ovary and tube.

I am soooo worried because at the age 23 i was diagnosed with 1a1 cervical cancer (adenocarcinoma cancer of mucus glands)

I have now convinced myself that this cyst could be cancerous too.

I get a dull back ache, sharpe stomach pains , groin and thigh pain. I cant sleep and worry all day.

Has anybody been treated at St . Marys manchester ?

Thanx

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Stacey and Sylvia

So please you have both had some positive newsbiggrin

I was diagnosed with a 10 cm Dermoid Cysts two weeks ago, and like you both, can't help but think on the negative side, they initially told me it was an uncomplicated fluid filled cyst (this was the sonographer) but once I saw the consultant, he carried out the very un flattering "internal", he confirmed a Dermoid and that I would need open surgery due to the size, not keyhole sad said I would hopefully have surgery in the next 6 weeks. 

They then sent me for a pre-assessment on the same day - but on the way out the nurse gave me a "Macmillan" business/contact card and said if I have any worries or questions to contact her - talk about put the fear of god in you eek. So patiently waiting now for the system to fit me in and put me out of my misery.

• Posted

Hi Hazel- what is routine to hospitals can be terrifying for us. At my first gynae visit(Dec 17th)  I heard the words operation,scar,biopsy and chemo ! it was only the day after an cystitis scan where they had found a "pelvic mass". Until then I was fit and healthy. I know they have to tell you everything that COULD happen but they did that anyway when I signed the consent form on Jan 12th 2015,meanwhile it ruined my Xmas and New year! and like you I thought only the worst. You will probably be benign too ( they are not rushing you into hospital) as more people are than not so try to enjoy as many 'normal' days before your op as I finally did in Jan. My op was Jan 27th and I'm feeling good. Hope you have good news soon. Keep in touch xx
    • Posted

Look at my post earlier on in this thread, this helpline is for both those who have and those who fear it may be cancer.

It was they who told me that the chance of a Dermoid cyst being cancerous is 1-2%

• Posted

Hi hazel

Please don't panic, when i was diagnosed with cervical cancer everything happened so fast. I was diagnosed, operated on and home on the mend within 10 days, and i was only stage 1a1.

If u are worrying please contact them, they can answer any questions or even explain the next steps.

please keep us updated xx

• Posted

Hi Sylvia

I know what you mean about the hospital routine, and I understand that they can't get to emotionally involved, but you're right, as they deal with it all the time, I think they do forget that the slightest little doubt they put in your mind, you are only human and are bound to go home and stew on it and imagine the worse case scenario. 

But you're right, you need to keep positive and I do forget every now and then, and that's lovely. But then it creeps back, normally middle of the night so you can't get back to sleep frown

I will keep you posted, and I've found this forum helps to hear other ladies thoughts, experiences and comments. Thank you xx

• Posted

Thank you, I Will get in touch, any reassurance will help xx
    • Posted

Thanks Stacey, your experience sounds really scary and I'm so happy for you to be in a position now to start fertility treatment, good luck x 

I will let you know how I get on xx

• Posted

Thank you hazel,

You've got to positive, i know its easy to say when its someone else it that position and i used to hate it when people would say " u'll b fine, don't worry" !! I'd think, what do u know, ur not the one who's waiting about for answers.

But please don't get yourself in state about it. I ended up with panic attacks and serious anxiety all because i didnt talk to anyone and just sat at home worrying my life away.

We are all here for u, even if you just want to get some feelings out, we understand you. Xxx

• Posted

Hi Hazel- what did your blood test say? Were you tested for CA 125 in your blood? Mine was 27 and normal is 35. It doesn't tell the whole story but helped me.Also have you had a CT scan- I had one on Xmas eve and got the result Jan 5th to say there was no fluid in my abdomen and no sign of anything in rest of body,which reassured me to a great extent.Keep us posted xx
    • Posted

Hi, my CA 125 was 20 kU/L so that is normal, so that's positive biggrin they have not mentioned any further scans, just waiting for the mini laparotomy and unilateral salpingo-oophorectomy  (Mass, ovary and tube removal in English) lol

just so uncomfortable with lower back ache and pressure in my abdomen. More freaking about the thought of surgery, not good with things like that x

• Posted

Hi Hazel- That's a good CA125 reading. The surgery isn't half as bad as the waiting and worrying in the weeks before. I feel good-this is day 16 after a full hysterectomy and omentum removal- that's one huge organ! but it's where cancer cells are attracted to so surgeon removed it.I've never been so well looked after- you get all the pain relief you need.  I've been to seaside,local market twice and have done bits of shopping,but I don't lift anything as I won't risk having a prolapse. I was out yesterday so will rest today and tomorrow,apart from hairdressers for a colour!I don't drive yet- my husband has been great throughout. Best of all the biopsy results came back on Tuesday- 2 weeks after op and were benign ! So relieved. Take care. x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.