12 cm endometrioma - laparoscopy or laparotomy?! Terrified!!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I’m new to the forum and would like some advice and to hear other's experience in terms of their surgical procedure. 

I found out in January that I have a 12x12x9 cm suspected to be endometrioma that needs to be removed. I also have elevated CA-125 level of 121 and the surgeon said she will try to remove it laparoscopically but there might be a possible conversion to a laparotomy. The gyn oncologist looked at my case and rejected saying it’s most likely not malignant.  

Surgery is scheduled in April and I am totally freaking out as I don’t want to wake up knowing they have given me a vertical incision (the surgeon mentioned she will be doing a vertical incision over a horizontal one)with more post operative pain. 

Can anyone share their experience of a cyst that large which have been removed using a laparoscopy? Thank you!!! 🙂🙂

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

The only reason they r removing it is cause it keeps on getting bigger and i am having pain on that side plus they don't want it to bust

• Posted

You will still have your other ovary and tube! If that is a concern, perhaps talk it out with your surgeon so you can be at ease. Let me know how it goes! 
  • Posted

I will but i had asked her about the other ovary being taking out at the same time and she told me no because of the estrogen in our body. I wanted the other one taking out cause i had some cysts on that one to but it went away i will keep u posted on how i am doing i get the surgery done on april9
    • Posted

Let me know and good luck! Hope you have a speedy recovery. I’m going in on April 13. And I am terrified since it is my first time going under the knife. I’ve been having insomnia and my inner fears are taking over my life for the past week. 
    • Posted

YES GIRL ! I have the same thing. I've only gotten like 6 hours of sleep in 3 days. Could this be related to our cysts/masses or is it an emotional thing ? I have no idea.

GOOD LUCK ON YOUR SURGERY ! I'm sure you'll do 100% fine.

• Posted

Thank you! I think it’s the anxiety of not knowing what’s going to happen. I’m so terrified of the surgical pain after. Can I ask how big your cyst is and are you scheduled for surgery sometime soon? 
  • Posted

U should be ok i went under the knife about 16 years ago when i had my tubes tied and everything is ok i will be praying for u i will let u know how everything went when i have mine done since i go in before u

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.