12 days post op - Lifting?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi,

Just wondered what light household duties anyone did around 11 days post op? I had abdominal sub total hysterectomy.

Obviously, I'm not looking to cart washing loads or hoover or do anything silly like that but I thought boiling the kettle with a little water and loading the dishwasher with light stuff should be ok now?

I'm doing light washing up and wiping the table, preparing breakfast and lunch etc.

Your advices would be appreciated, as always😀

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes washing up and dusting should be ok and cooking but no heavy saucepans and casserole dishex
    • Posted

I'll leave the dusting haha! Never a fan of that anyway 😉Just wanted to check a light kettle and water jug is ok really...

• Posted

I was loading the dishwasher the day I got out of hospital, no-one else to do it, I did buy myself a lightweight hoover (more an electric sweeper) as you have to be careful pushing/pulling/tugging, kettles you can do straight away, the rule of thumb being not to lift anything heavier than a kettle with water in, dusting's ok as well, just take things slowly and if you need to sit down then sit down the dust will wait, I have 2 very hairy dogs so I had to keep things up to date or I may have disappeared under a mountain of dog hair never to be seen again LOL!

Listen to your body.

Good luck

Take care

Phoebe.

• Posted

Thanks Phoebe! I'm in no rush to dust or hoover, will let hubby do that😉

My thing is sweeping the floors, I can't stand seeing bits everywhere but I have stayed chilled out about it so far, as it'll wait and I know I'll do a big clean at some point. Hubby is brill but never does it how I like it haha...

I won't fret about the kettle from now on but will only boil little amounts as it's heavy.

Thanks again.

• Posted

Your so right they never do it like you like it like bits left in sink after washing up I hate that always check behind him I would say just do what you feel comfortable doing and when you need to sit sit luckily when I had mine in 2015 my hubby was brilliant
    • Posted

Yes hooray for great hubbies. Mine can cook too thankfully 👍

• Posted

That's such a good question! There is not a lot of good advice. Or else I have not found it!

What is light housework or light lifting? 

Everyone's interpretation is going to be slightly different.

For me, I can help empty the dishwasher a couple of plates at a time. My milk is decanted into small bottles,  I can wipe sinks etc.

I am just trying to find easy ways of doing things which don't involve lifting much more than a couple of mugs at a time. I can hang the washing on the drier of someone has actually emptied the machine for me.

So good luck.

Catherine 

• Posted

Yeah I know Catherine!

I've been loading the dishwasher with cups and plates but being careful not to bend too much. I tend to lower myself in a squat rather than bend and thankfully my legs and core are strong from Pilates.

I did the kettle and water jug for the first time this morn. I read that nothing heavier than 1 litre is ok.

I've learnt to wipe the tops without actually engaging my tummy so a very light upper arm motion haha! You never realise how much you use your tummy muscles for things like that....

• Posted

Have loved reading all your comments! X
    • Posted

😘This forum has kept me sane the last week and stopped me driving my hubby mad with my worry wot comments haha....

• Posted

Hi..youre definitely doing more than i could at 11 or 12 days.lol. I did dishes and light cooking. But i still couldn't bend or anything like that. If you feel comfortable enough to do the light stuff but don't vacuum or carry anything heavy

• Posted

Hi,

I was advised not to lift anything heavier than a milk carton for 6 weeks.  Then, after I had my post op appointment, my activities were still restricted.  What you're doing sounds fine.  

If you're over doing it your body will give you little "clues." You'll get tired, or hurt.  Just remember to rest so that your outside and insides can heal!

Please let me know how you get on! xx

• Posted

So glad you asked this question! I am waiting for a full abdominal hysterectomy - and I know what a fidget I am! I was worried I might have to sit on my hands post op! I'm already thinking what I can do to help my hubby out when I come home! Some of the comments made me giggle - dusting isn't my favourite - but I will trade it for my husband - he'll have to do the cat's litter tray for quite a long time cheesygrin not that I'm upset about that one! I will be doing what cooking I can too - love doing it. Already thought of ways I can make things without lots of lifting! 

• Posted

Good for you Glennie😉Well I'm already ssoo bored so who knows I may find a new found love of light dusting around the house!!

I've got a 6yr old son to look after so he keeps me busy but is also being a complete star, fetching and bending down for me 👍

My mother in law and sister leave tomorrow so I'll be home alone and I'm planning on getting into some box sets😀Wish I'd sorted out some art stuff so I could try painting again...

Going to try and make the most of the next few weeks peace and quiet as I'll soon be back to school runs, after school clubs and work.....

When do you think your op will happen then?

• Posted

I have my pre-op on Friday - after this is done I can ring the department and ask for a date - that's how it works in my area. Hopefully sooner rather than later - although strangely my envelope came first class marked urgent - so they may have a date in mind already (hope so)! You will have you hands full with a 6 year old - my daughter  is 26 and would be a great help - but she lives 150 miles away now! I do have a very good hubby though - he's pretty good at housework and very capable of cooking a nice meal as long as I don't interfere biggrin  Really hoping I will be all done by end of April - I would love to able to go on holiday at some point. We cancelled our original holiday booking for June this year.

• Posted

Thats good then I had mine done on the NHS in a private hospital as we have book and choose here as I'd had him before and knew the doctor was good

• Posted

Sounds like you're all sorted then Glennie with a good hubby on hand😉

I would've thought your op would be soon after your pre-op? I had my pre-op on the Thurs then my op on the Tuesday.

Ended up paying privately as the NHS waiting list was over 5months and I didn't want to wait and put up with my fibroid causing so many issues. I had to stop exercising a few months ago which was horrid as I love my gym classes.

We've also put holidays on hold, which I hate. I love having things to look forward to....

Fingers x your date is very soon. X

• Posted

Had an operation in same hospital 2 years ago. Op was 8 weeks after pre-op - but it was classed as minor surgery. I'm easy either way as long as I have pain relief and laxatives I am ok!!! Would prefer sooner rather than later. They tend to do bloods on the operation day.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.