12 days post PKR a bit dissapointed

Posted , 10 users are following.

So I'm 12 days post op with my PKR I can walk around the house minus crutches, go for a walk outside and lift my leg, just been for my first physio and have come away feeling a bit dissapointed as they said I should be at 90• bend and I'm currently 75• I've come home after them manipulating it and am in agony - I know it's necessary but just feel as though I'm never going to get there. So frustrating as I thought I was on track. I now know to get on track it is going to be an excruciating process. How did everyone else feel at this stage ? 😔

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I felt awful for weeks. Then one day I felt much better. Just do the work and hopefully you will be happy with the results. Time is what you need to experience a full recovery. The surgery is brutal and major. Be patient. Take the pain medication. You cannot hope to get through the exercises without medication. Do the work! Very early days yet. Good luck. x
  • Posted

Personally, I would listen to what is said on here  and enjoy the empathy but don't try to compare yourself to others including me. EVERY one is different. Just compare me to the previous post. I had the spinal and local anaesthetic and lots of pain killers for the first two weeks. I was a severe case of OA, couldn't bend, couldn't straighten, lot of pain and very bandy. In the first two weeks i had just one painful night and still slept. I didn't have much pain thereafter and virtually none now except when it reaches maximum bend at 90deg. it is lovely and straight but as I said won't bend so can't cycle and going down stairs is still on to each step.

All I will say is that it will definitely get better than it is now.

Good luck,

Dave

• Posted

I am almost 5 weeks post op for a TKR and this forum has been a blessing to me. I know at 12 days (2 weeks even! ) I was so immersed in my recovery that I could barely focus on anything else! It was through my struggles that I stumbled upon this forum while desperate to know if I was 'normal.' What I discovered is that everyone is different and that it was ok for me to make progress in my own way and time. So while the ups and downs are both rewarding and frustrating, I diligently attend PT and do my exercises and I accept that my journey will be an individual experience. You would think I would have known this as I had my other knee done 8 years ago but this recovery is so much different- and more difficult. Hang in there, the sitter, and for your open and honest post. Thanks to you all for your encouragement and to you, the sitter, for giving me the courage to join the conversation.

• Posted

You have discovered one of the most important things about recovery . That is EVERYONE is different , can't compare one persons recovery with anothers . Even the same person can have completly different results with each knee . One may be fine , the other may be a nightmare . Nobody knows what the results will be until after the op . It's important not to go for the surgery with a feeling of doom and gloom . Try to be positive and hope for a good outcome . It is important to do as much physio as you can , but don't over do it . Use pain relief , ice and moisturise the scar area . It takes time don't try to rush things . It's 19½ years since my first knee 17½ since the other , and I have had no problems with either knee since .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.