12 Days To Go Before My Mid Ankle Fusion

Posted , 6 users are following.

... and I am so excited rolleyes 

I appreciate that I will be homebound and doing a lot of loafing around and am asking if any of you have any tips on any helpful  aids I will need at home... A bath/shower stool is a must .... Any advice welcome. 

By the way I bought a Nintendo Switch a few months back when my family stayed here and I thoroughly recommend Super Mario Odyssey for immersing yourself in modern day puzzle solving with action figures. It is brilliant and taken me five weeks to get only part way along the game. 

pst! I'm almost 67

Any other tips??? David 

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

If you have a normal shower a plastic garden chair and a black bin bag on your leg is a cheap alternative.  A flask of tea/coffee so you don’t need to keep getting up.
  • Posted

I put everything at bench height so I didn't have to do any reaching. A toilet seat isn't such a bad idea either. I bought lots of books before I was laid up that's if your a reader. 

• Posted

David if you can get an IPad or a Tablet.   In fact the Microsoft tablets are very nice and not so much money.    You can play any game you may want to download.   But you do need WiFi.   You can do some searching, reading, or learn how to make a cake or an airplane.    

This is a good way to spend the afternoon on your back with your foot up.   I have gotten so I looke forward to each afternoon .  First I do my stretches and leg exsercises then lie down and write , email or play a game.    I had to have something to look forward to every day or it would have driven me nuts  spending the days and weeks sitting around with having nothing accomplished but my bones fusing.   

• Posted

I splurged and got a cute little knee scooter to scoot around with.   It’s  much easier  then crutches.   I ordered it from amazon.

I have lots of pillows to use if I need them under my leg to hold my foot up. 

I don’t know what I would do without my grabber .......get one now.   It is a lifesaver.

• Posted

Thank you Kathy, As far as tablets go we have four in our home! We are totally hooked up. We own a Nintendo Switch which is great for playing games - as it stands I am hooked on Super Mario Odyssey which is full of puzzles and action.

I have to go out in the fresh air is what I need most!

• Posted

Did anyone use a wheelchair????  We may get one.
    • Posted

My insurance gave me a wheelchair to go,home with and I used it once.  

The problem with going outside is stepping off steps safely.  It’s a big jump with one foot and it scares me more than anything else.   If you have a wheelchair someone can get up and down those front steps.

you just need to think about the transfer from wheelchair to where ever you are going.   Transferring from one place to another with only one leg and a heavy cast on the other is very tricky indeed.

• Posted

I used a wheelchair the 1st few weeks, I didnt go anywhere or do anything but go to the doctor,I was afraid of doing anything. If i got tired of being in bed, I got in the wheelchair with the leg piece up for elevation, so I could be in other rooms with family. After I got used to the idea of one leg,I found it easier to use my walker, once I got to moving around. Tbh,I was happiest to have a bedside commode. I still use it 3 months post, I'm not always fast as I need to be.

• Posted

We may just get a wheelchair for me so I can strengthen my arms and at least when my friends ask me out I'll be able to get from A to B in comfort.  I dislike crutches with a vengeance as was forever falling over with them. 

• Posted

I am almost 3 months post triple ankle fusion. A knee scooter and raised potty seat is a must! I even went back to work with my scooter. Best of luck!
    • Posted

Hi Suze, We are thinking of a knee scooter and will probably get one - a raised potty seat? Oh my I hadn't thought of that one. Will investigate. Thank you.

• Posted

Hi Kathy, 😊 I went back to work after 6 weeks. I was going nuts at home!

• Posted

I will be more than ready to go back after 5 weeks.   I have no pain but I am  NWB and have a cast.   I am just starting my 4th week.im afraid Imwill have pain when I start putting weight on it.     I might use my scooter forever.   
    • Posted

Thank you - I am retired though so just fun to get back to wink 
    • Posted

I had a boot from week 2. It's been about 2 weeks that I am able to walk in my boot. It gets sore, but every day is progress! You'll be fine, just take it slow. Your body will tell you when you've had enough!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.