12 Days To Go Before My Mid Ankle Fusion

Posted , 6 users are following.

... and I am so excited rolleyes 

I appreciate that I will be homebound and doing a lot of loafing around and am asking if any of you have any tips on any helpful  aids I will need at home... A bath/shower stool is a must .... Any advice welcome. 

By the way I bought a Nintendo Switch a few months back when my family stayed here and I thoroughly recommend Super Mario Odyssey for immersing yourself in modern day puzzle solving with action figures. It is brilliant and taken me five weeks to get only part way along the game. 

pst! I'm almost 67

Any other tips??? David 

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

hi shortwavedave,

I used a rucksack to carry things from a to b and I agree with Suze 65 about getting raised toilet seat you seem to have most things coverd and I think good idea about wheelchair. My boys brought me a secondhand mobility scooter, it was so good to get out!!

I'm 19 weeks post op and walking without crutches in aircast boot outside but ordinary trainers indoors.

Hope all goes well for you

Alison.42577

• Posted

Hi everyone, I had my ankle fusion on June 18th and it's been quite a journey for the past two months. 

I rented a wheelchair and that is helping me a lot as I can get exercise and fresh air. We had a heatwave in the UK for a month and I couldn't go out as I didn't want the cast to get sweaty and itch.

The surgery itself was terrific and I had my first ever dose of Fentanyl... How on earth people get hooked on that I'll never know.  I have used the Nintendo Switch a lot and watched many Netflix and Amazon TV series. 

LOST WEIGHT!!! I lost 10lbs in weight !!  My wife has been taking care of me and doing all the cooking from scratch. I'm a vegetarian and have been eating lots of steamed vegetables with no sugary snacks except the very occasional bar of chocolate. 

I do worry about non union, just me I think. I can move my foot a little and have been doing wobble board exercises and stretching at every given moment. 

I have fallen over twice and really bruised myself quite a lot with one fall. I managed to avoid banging my ankle and foot though. 

The pain is not too bad. I get shooting pains every now and then which is more weird than painful.

I had my surgery in Plymouth, England. 

David   

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.