12 weeks

Posted , 7 users are following.

HI, so its 12 weeks tomorrow, 2 on 10, 6 0n 20 & 4 on 30, ive had some times during this time of great days, but last week, or so feel like ive gone backwards, waking up anxious & starting to feel low again, if im still struggling is it time to accept im not going to get better on citalipram, it seems other people are better by now. im feeling so fed up of this constant struggle & not knowing whats in store

0 likes, 35 replies

35 Replies

Next
  • Posted

hi chrissy, basically everytime you change dose you get start up symptoms, youve only been on your last dose for 4 weeks, a lot of people take 3 months plus to settle x

• Posted

so do you think that i still might improve, im not as bad as i was, but still very up & down & when i read it takes 4-6 weeks to recover, it starts my anxiety about how long its taking, i was signed off cbt a few weeks ago, as i had made good progress x

• Posted

remember you are only technically on 4 weeks because you've been on your latest dose 4 weeks.

if you've had some days or a week where you felt better that means they are slowly starting to work x

you will most likely find that if you switch to something else you will have the exact same with the new med like you are now.

improvement then feeling like you are going backwards x and it would be a shame to stop and have to start from the beginning.

it's not 12 weeks in total its 12 weeks altogether on one dose.

if you get to 12 weeks on your current dose and still feel the same that's when you increase or switch x honestly you are doing really well but blips and setbacks are completely normal.

I'm six weeks into sertraline on 50mg and only now thinking about increasing due to lack of progress x so stick with it!!

• Posted

is that true about a new dose meaning starting from scratch? if thats true then obviously i have longer to make progress, that makes me feel a bit better, my doctor never explained this x

• Posted

yeah it's because your body and mind need to readjust everytime you change dose x doctors just go by what the standard is and everyone is so different so they think that increasing is always the way to go. each dose does need 12 weeks to become maximum effective

my good pal lois will tell you that each change in dose means resetting the clock again. thats who opened my eyes to all of this x ❤ doesn't mean you will get worse in the meantime just means it needs a long time to become effective x

10mg might work for you but you might need more.

some people do well on 10mg but I never got better on citalopram until I increased to 20mg x

• Posted

can you tell us why the constant d large dose changes in such a short amount of time.what issues are/where you having for such large dose changes.just curious.

• Posted

i have had bad anxiety & intrusive thoughts, ive just followed g.p instructions to up doses, as years ago i was on 40 mg, not sure if they are going to work this time x

• Posted

Anxiety doesnt get any worse than what mine was. im on 10mg. your dose sounds too high for anxiety. Too high dose will cause as many problems or more

• Posted

absolutely. i also suffer from high anxiety and 10mg did the trick for me.

• Posted

just because years ago you where on forty .that really doesnt mean you should be on 40 again.well at least not that fast .it should be at least 12 weeks for each dose.at least according to my phychiatrist.

• Posted

and only stay on your dose if you notice improvements.if you dont notice improvements then up the dose .which will start the process all over again from zero.

• Posted

Thanks for that information , ive been musinformed by my doctor, ive has relief at 20 & 30, but not 10, so will give it at least 12 weeks on 30, you seem to know a lot, so can you offer any advice on getting through a setback & anything that you find helps anxiety. i know my preocupation in how i feel constantly is feeding the anxiety.

• Posted

the best thing you can do in a blip is keep busy x

plenty of fresh air.

go for walks

exercise if you can

rest when you need too

drink plenty of water

keep a diary of your symptoms and progress so you can see improvement. write down what positives you've noticed since starting the meds as it helps you keep a positive mindset x

if you can manage make sure you eat when you can x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.