12 weeks

Posted , 7 users are following.

HI, so its 12 weeks tomorrow, 2 on 10, 6 0n 20 & 4 on 30, ive had some times during this time of great days, but last week, or so feel like ive gone backwards, waking up anxious & starting to feel low again, if im still struggling is it time to accept im not going to get better on citalipram, it seems other people are better by now. im feeling so fed up of this constant struggle & not knowing whats in store

0 likes, 35 replies

35 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I'm on week 12....5 weeks on 20, 3 weeks on 30 and now 4 weeks on 40mg and I feel shocking, i can honestly say I've had 3 good days where i felt like my old self...how are you feeling 3 weeks down the line?

• Posted

oh that's a shame , how some people are seeing improvement in the first few weeks beggars belief and is so frustrating...hope you soon improve

• Posted

no improvement for me chrissy...I had a breakdown 3 months ago and was put on citalopram (I was on this med 4 years ago and had very good results, but like many i made the mistake and believed i was well enough to come off) this time round from the very first tablet I have been plagued by intrusive/suicidal thoughts, my dr said to persist but it has been a very frightening time for me as I've just slipped further into depression, each time I was raised the next day I was 80% back to myself but this only lasts for 24 hours before I'm back to square one...I still have lots of side effects (insomnia,nausea,restless jumping legs etc etc) a part of me believes the meds are working as I've found myself smiling at times even though it's only for a few minutes but another part of me wants to come off of them as I feel after nearly 13 weeks I should of had a couple of good weeks...I think I'll give it another week or 2 then maybe look into changing

• Posted

Hi jonathan74341,

We note from a recent post which you have made to our forum that you may be experiencing thoughts around self-harm. If we have misinterpreted your comments then we apologise for contacting you directly. But if you are having such thoughts then please note that you are not alone in this, and there are people out there that can help.

If you are having these suicidal thoughts then we strongly recommend you speak to someone who may be able to help. The Samaritans offer a safe space where you can talk openly about what you are going through. They can help you explore your options, understand your problems better, or just be there to listen.

Their contact details are on our patient information leaflet here: https://patient.info/health/dealing-with-suicidal-thoughts, which also offers lots of other advice on how you can access the help you may need.

If you are having such thoughts then please do reach out to the team at the Samaritans (or the other people detailed in our leaflet) who will understand what you're going through and will be able to help.

If you are based outside of the UK.

The Samaritans is a UK based charity, but they also have suggestions for how you can access help in other countries.

Please have a look at this page https://www.befrienders.org/directory

Patient

• Posted

thank you for your reply , I'm working closely with the mental health team and have all the numbers around me (samaritans included) if I feel that I need to reach out for help. I'm hoping in the next couple of weeks the medication will kick in and lift my mood as I'd never had these thoughts/feelings before the first tablet of citalopram..I'm back seeing my councillor weekly who played a big part in my recovery when I lost my mother 4 years ago and we are confident that I can return to my jovial happy self soon

• Posted

i've been on 10mg citalopram for just over 5 weeks to help with 8 months awful withdrawal symptoms from zopiclone. like you seemed be feelinng bit better but last few days awful depression, anxiety, intrusive thoughts. does seem to take maybe 2- 3 months to really kick in it seems. like you wonder if I'll ever improve. it does seem to be case of up and down. i' m loathe to increase my dose as don't want to stay on it permanently and felt awful for first week or so initially. so will stick it out see how things go!

• Posted

your doctor put you on an ssri for sleeping tablet withdrawal?

• Posted

Was my choice, withdrawl symptoms from zops were awful anxiety, depression, horrible intrusive thoughts stuck it out for 7 months absolutely no let up. Tried CBT useless, also therapy, self help books you name it just got progressively worse had no quality of life . As withdrawal can seem take upwards of year had enough. Citalopram seem to help intrusive thoughts. My GP retired and new one made me stop zopiclone abruptly after 12 years as on low dose. Many people seem to have good results on citalopram and don't intend staying on it permanently, just until symptoms ease and have some sort of life again couldn't go on as I was!!!

• Posted

totally understand .cit save my life .and iam still on cit.i was on ziplicone for over one year i stop cold turkey and had no withdrawls so every one different i assume.

• Posted

You were very lucky not to have withdrawal symptoms they can ruin peoples lives. Good that cit works for you, what dose are you on and can you remember how long before you really noticed a difference? Think it is helping bit with anxiety, my worst symptom is intrusive thoughts. Not really helping much yet but had them for over year since started cutting down zops so guess will take time. Looked at past posts from lady called Katy who said can take up to 3 months. Seems not advisable to keep changing the dose from what I've read

• Posted

bless you im on zopiclone and reducing cit and withdrawals are hell, been on a reduced dose over a year and still have all the symptoms you describe plus others

• Posted

i take 10milli.and it took 8long months .because i was withdrawing from four other antid.that i went cold turkey from.

• Posted

zopiclone is an awful drug this been one of worst years of my life. if you do decide to ever stop zopiclone do it very slowly. i would never had taken it had I known was so addictive and hell to come off. Hopefully citalopram will eventually help and not be as bad to come off as not intending take it long term. good luck hope your symptoms improve.

• Posted

Wow that must have been really hard but good to know Citalopram helped you i know several people stopped it with no problems. i really think zopiclone should be banned i never had anything like this before i took it and only took 1/4 of a tablet. as 10 mg citalopram worked for you will try stay on that

• Posted

ive had steriod induced pychosis and can say citalopram withdrawal is far worse, but hopefully you wont get withdrawal, fingers crossed!

• Posted

Thanks know few people come off it no problems. least can do it at my own pace. doesn't seem as addictive. i've actually slept better after coming off zopiclone they do seem to cause anxiety I think as well. hope your symptoms improve . i'm hoping intrusive thoughts soon improve!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.