13 weeks and sharp pains down shins now.

Posted , 10 users are following.

I just went to the doctor who was very happy with my flexion and bending. He told me I don't even need PT any longer and to keep walking, swimming and doing whatever it is I've been doing. The last time I was measured I was about 120-122 in both knees. I had double knee replacement. My gait is good. I do not limp. This last week I have walked, stood and climbed steps more and at night have really paid the price. I had two nights where I really was unable to sleep because of the aching and pains going down the shins from the knees. I've iced and used heat but unhappy about this. The next day was difficult to walk. I'm feeling like one step forward two steps back. My husband says this is just "part of the healing process" and to just keep going. It's depressing, though. I'm tired of being in pain and want to move on with my life and be aboe to walk 1-2 miles without being incapacitated the next day. I was also told that I would just need Tylenol or Aleve at this point for pain but.....doesn't put a dent in the night pain. Anyone else experienced this?

1 like, 35 replies

35 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I forgot to add that my sleep patterns have changed totally from life before surgery! Most mites I feel like an insomniac !!!😬😂
    • Posted

I can relate to that. I kind of TRY to relax and sleep but once I realize it is "not in the cards" , and I don't want to disturb my husband, I often get up and move to the couch and read for a while. Honestly, the nerve pain is more recent. Not sure if it is because I'm feeling I can "do " more or is just part of the process of nerve healing. My physical therapist believes it also has a lot to do with where the quads connect on the front. Today he did a lot of work to stretch the quads and then massaged the knee to shin area. Relief! Suggested I just take it easier for a few days and perhaps swim rather than do weight bearing activities. ....and STRETCH.
  • Posted

Mine too.

Total insomniac.

Do most of my exercising and walking in the middle of the night eek

• Posted

Do u have any idea , aside from pain, why this is happening to us?

BTW, I find that when I'm very uncomfortable , I raise my leg up on 2 very 

thick pillows. This works for me

• Posted

Lots of nerves and tissue are severly damaged both by cutting and disruption of of blood flow. Nerves are the slowest healing of all of the damage. As they heal they have to reconnect and its sort of like getting hit with an electrical shock when this happens. Unfortunately, just because you feel it once dosent mean its working and may have to go through this several times before it completely reconnect. In 1977 my wife had. Viral condition called Gilliaun- Bairrie syndro m which paralyzed her from the mid torso down to her feet. She had to completely be retrained to walk. It effects the body sort of like polio. She had to be hospitalized for about 8 weeks and had to be picked up on a gurney 2x's daily and wheeled to physical therapy for intensive work. After dismissal she had therapybat home twice a day while returning to out patient therapy for another 4 months. She still had nerves firing and going weak for about 2 years. Now she is in advanced stages of Parkinson's and research has show that over 70 % of GBS patients Are affected with Parkinson's later in life. The point of all this is any nerve damage can just wreck the system for some time.
    • Posted

Wishing all you fellow insomniacs lived closer and we could UNITE. Sometimes very lonely feeling when I WANT to sleep and all around are sleeping.

• Posted

Helps sometimes and others not. What helps me though is if I pull my leg up as high and straight as I can (like the therapist does) and hold that....or place my legs up on the wall. Stretching does seem to help.
    • Posted

Hi, thanks for the explanation. So sorry to hear of all ur wife's troubles. I wish both you and her my very best😀
    • Posted

Me too!! That's if we could get ourselves up and out!!😀LOL
  • Posted

I am 48 and on day 20 after bilateral total knee replacement.  I'm happy to have found this blog and appreciate everyone's feedback.  After reading comments I'm not sure if I am ahead of the game, behind where I should be or average.  Besides thunder and lightening pain as someone else so eloquently described I am in constant pain with the skin about 2 inches from the wounds. I don't believe the wounds are infected.  My docs medical assistant's advice was to be patient.  Wondering if anyone has a recommendation for this condition? I have extremely sensitive skin so it might be a reaction to the products used during surgery or possibly nerve ending pain.  I'm not sure if the skin pain is worse than the general ache I feel in both knees.  I have read many comments about pain meds and I wonder if I am hoarding my pills.  I expect week three to not be so dependent on them so have stopped using them during the day unless I have PT.  I start using them around 730pm each night and can't imagine a night without them.  I still toss and move around all night and have normal dreams but every dream I can feel the pain.  From  the PTs perspective I'm doing great and even other people that have seen my progress while they work out are my best cheerleaders.  I have shared my concerns mentioned above with my PT and another person I met that had one TKR the same day.  Unfortunately both have not been able to reassure me these issues will work out or when.  I'm impatient and am willing to do almost anything to drive faster/better results.  I would appreciate any tips to address my skin pain.  Massaging, icing, cetaphil lotion are all not helping.  Thanks
    • Posted

Use the meds.....that's why they are prescribed. Without them its hard to put as much into therapy as needed. Get a bottle of vitimin e oil. Its thick and theraputic. If all the scabs are gone, apply it to the entire area and massage it in with your thumbs as vigorously as you can handle. Do it a couple of times a day. You will soon start feeing the effects of the deep healing. Understanding the depth of the trauma this surgery causes is very important. In effect, you have had your leg cut off, modified, supplemented with a 3 pound foeign body and reattached internally and externally with thin string, metal staples and glue, depending on the surgeons choice. In the meantime, heroic efforts to prevent life threatening blood clots and dangerous infections were introduced all the while you are being dragged out of bed immediately, braced up by either crutches or a walker and commanded to move move,move.

Romantic, exhilarating, uplifting and emtionally fullfilling????HELL NO....NONE OF THE ABOVE.

Patience, rest and just taking things as they come realizing we are all so very different in so many ways but so similar in that one very important way.............resilience. With time and underdtanding, body and mind will persevere. Stay strong and keep reminding yourself that given time, you'll whip this thing just like the rest of the good folks on here world wide. Lots of rambling and words but same thought, we've all been through it and somehow in different ways we have or are gonna make it. Keep bringing up up your concerns and someone, somewhere this side of the moon will have a comforting message for you.

• Posted

OFG, this is, by a mile, the best and most succinct explanation of the surgery I have read!! The next time I say to someone that my knee is painful, and they give me "The Look" (The one that clearly says Jeez, you still going on about it, it was ages ago?!) This is SO getting quoted! I love it!

"Understanding the depth of the trauma this surgery causes is very important. In effect, you have had your leg cut off, modified, supplemented with a 3 pound foeign body and reattached internally and externally with thin string, metal staples and glue, depending on the surgeons choice. In the meantime, heroic efforts to prevent life threatening blood clots and dangerous infections were introduced all the while you are being dragged out of bed immediately, braced up by either crutches or a walker and commanded to move move,move."

Or I could just tie em to a chair and force them to watch the YouTube video of the surgery........

Thanks OFG, it's great! 😁

• Posted

Thank you for such a prompt and thorough response.  I will stop hoarding my pills and I am going to keep in perspective everything my legs have been through over the past few weeks.   To hear from those that have actually gone through the procedure is really helping me.  So happy I have found a great resource.  I was feeling a little sorry for myself earlier this week.  Time to put some extra effort into my mindset and to stop beating myself up.  I had asked my doctor when I could return to work and he said once I am off pain meds which is typically 2 weeks.  His statement made me feel like I am way behind where I should be.  Thanks again for your advice.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.