13 weeks and sharp pains down shins now.

Posted , 10 users are following.

I just went to the doctor who was very happy with my flexion and bending. He told me I don't even need PT any longer and to keep walking, swimming and doing whatever it is I've been doing. The last time I was measured I was about 120-122 in both knees. I had double knee replacement. My gait is good. I do not limp. This last week I have walked, stood and climbed steps more and at night have really paid the price. I had two nights where I really was unable to sleep because of the aching and pains going down the shins from the knees. I've iced and used heat but unhappy about this. The next day was difficult to walk. I'm feeling like one step forward two steps back. My husband says this is just "part of the healing process" and to just keep going. It's depressing, though. I'm tired of being in pain and want to move on with my life and be aboe to walk 1-2 miles without being incapacitated the next day. I was also told that I would just need Tylenol or Aleve at this point for pain but.....doesn't put a dent in the night pain. Anyone else experienced this?

1 like, 35 replies

35 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Think your at the stage that you think your knee will burst open if you bend too far. That will pass shortly for you. Just all the mad aches and shooting pains will remain as the nerves try to repair themselves.  Most of the time I just have 'log leg' now. Reckon I'm gonna have that for quite a while to come. confused
  • Posted

3 months is still early days.  You have just had an operation where both your legs were broken and put back together again, and now you want to run a marathon!!!!!! You may not need PT but you still have to take it easy.  Yes, you can do all the things you are doing, but in moderation.  Yes, you can walk miles, but NOT all in one go!  Mentally you are in the right place, but physically your knees are not.  It is nothing to do with physical therapy, it is to do with healing, and your knees has a ways to go.  In reality you need your give yourself another 3 months minimum before you are “back to normal”.  Don’t be in a rush otherwise you will get depressed and fed up.

Nobody likes being in pain, but it is your knees telling you you have over done things.  Slow down just a tad.  If you go on a walk, don’t go so far (even if you feel great), take the next day off and perhaps the next time extend the distance by a small margin, then a day off.  You will find you heal better; you will feel a greater sense of achievement at each milestone.

• Posted

Thank you. I think this is exactly what I need to be reminded of. Yes, I'm at that point where I "feel better and have reached a point that I no longer need to GO TO PT" but I'm not completely healed either. There lies the "body/mind" confusion. I will keep your advice close to heart because it makes the most sense. 
    • Posted

Don’t worry, we have all been there.  We all lose our BFF Patience now and then, especially on those days that are warm, the sun is shining and we are feeling great, or are just gagging for fresh air!!  You will get there. Always remember what happens with babies and children; whenever they reach an achievement, we tell them well done, cuddle, reward.  Do the same to yourself.  Buy a flower, have that glass of wine/cup of tea. Whatever takes your fancy, or just pat yourself on the back.  Yes, it is like a house chore; needs doing, if you don’t it soon piles up.  Don’t let anyone push you, or tell you you should be doing this, that or the other, pain is invisible, just because you can “walk” doesn’t mean you are pain free. It can also be divisive. Friends and family can appear aloof and unsympathetic because they cannot read the invisible signs of you being in agony and think you are making it up or playing for sympathy. Don’t give up.  You will get there.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.