14 Days Post Op - Doing Well

Posted , 8 users are following.

I know it's early days but I feel so much better than I thought I would at this stage. I have to keep reminding myself not to do things as I'm tempted to do so much more (I won't!) 

Pottering about at home, light dusting etc. Getting the occasional twinge in my pelvis to remind me but no actual pain at all.  Hoping to start short walks outside from tomorrow.  Feeling more positive than I have for a long time. 

3 likes, 40 replies

40 Replies

Next
  • Posted

So pleased you are feeling well. As you said you will be very careful. I hope the fresh air feels nice . I too am 14 days. I have less energy than I expected but otherwise seem to be doing ok.

Keep up the good recovery and take care. Have s good weekend .

• Posted

HI I am also 14 days post op and was doing ok but feel constipated feel like I may of damaged myself I had a feel and poke wrong bit they seem to have cut my perineum area not sure why but inside feels so lumpy really strange. 

No one in my family is that sympathetic t hey have never had kids or any issues downstairs so hard to talk about it. 

Group has been a saviour xx

• Posted

Honey, call your nurse. See if it would be ok to have a warm sitz bath. That’s what i would do!
    • Posted

You can probably feel the stitching, it takes ages to settle down. Don't poke about down there you could give yourself an infection. If you are worried speak to your doctor, you should have a post op check up at 6-8 weeks. If not then I would request one just to put your mind at rest. Good luck. 

• Posted

Hi Jennifer

I had my op two weeks ago and my perineum has been cut and reinforced stotching. My stitches are very bumpy at the moment as tissues swell. I had a look with the mirror so I presume that internally is the same. I agree not to feel internally due to risk of infection or catching delicate tissue with your nail.

I think sometimes things look and feel worse before they feel better! Hang on in there and take it slowly. I had a wobble day yesterday and felt thoroughly sorry for myself but feel ok today. I guess it happens 💕

• Posted

NOOOOOOO. Baths are bad bad idea and never usually recommended. That is SO old fashioned and long ago was found to be the cause of lots of infections. Any sutures anywhere should be kept as dry as possible. You just do not want to be sitting in water that your anus is also soaking in and bugs will have a field day. They just love soggy stitches and will track up the threads and deep inside. Hence why new mothers having given birth and sutured don't do this archaic sitting in water thing. Showering only is the advice for first 6wks. As for feeling around and fingers going around let alone in, is NO NO NO. Just don't do it. Infection risk again plus you could penetrate delicate tissues that haven't had time to heal yet. Just PLEASE leave it all alone and DO NOT soak in any water!! Short showering only. 

• Posted

My surgeon encourages the salt bath. It’s probably best to check with the doctor. 

It’s strange how different hospitals and practices around the world have polar opposite recommendations. That says to me that the doctors just don’t know enough about this type of recovery and what’s best for their patients yet. Blows my mind!

• Posted

I'm in the UK & I queried the bath question with her before I left the hospital. She said to shower for the first week then bathing is ok.  No bubble bath or oil though. She's a well respected urogynaecologist. 

• Posted

My advice after both repairs was showering using ph balanced and gynecologically tested products only and patting dry.

Years ago when I had my first child I ripped and was cut at samd instance at back end/perineum, So had large messy limos of stitching, the stitches used were disdolving and like cat-gut, very tight and uncomfortable. I was told to have daily baths and used normal soap like palmolive or fairy but also was told to add a little savalon to the bath. Didn't have any after problems except jaggy discomfort. Can remember my hubby having a look and desperate to have them out.

But I think they now use different kind of stitching sometimes and think maybe the different stitches used fof different repairs can maybe mean different advice so important to follow hospital advice.

I'm sure I remember matron saying to go with your own hospital advice as they know what kind of material used for stitching.

Hooe this helps some.

Phyl x

• Posted

Sorry about predictive text!

Meant 'messy lump of stitching'

• Posted

I agree Phyl. 

I remember after having my son (20+ years ago) I was cut  & had a nasty internal tear which meant a hasty trip to theatre! Salt baths were the thing then. I certainly wouldn't have a hot bath or a long soak now but I must admit that first quick bath was heaven! X 

• Posted

So right! A long hot soak was bliss!

I couldn't wait for stitches to disolve, not sure which was worse sitting on stitches during breastfeeding sessions or the cracked nipped when you first latch baby on. But I don't remember being told to rest or not lift anything heavy or not walk about too much. I must have been 19 and I healed very quickly. Wish I were test young again and able to recover so quick and easy.

X

• Posted

Predictive text meant 'nipple'

• Posted

Oh dear. Your Surgeon must be the only one in the world that recommends that. It's just so bad for putting you at risk of infection. The bugs don't give a damn what suture material is used. They will track up any stitches to get into warm moist inner tissues and have a field day. Is the surgeon really old, or at least very old fashioned? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.