14 Days Post Op - Doing Well

Posted , 8 users are following.

I know it's early days but I feel so much better than I thought I would at this stage. I have to keep reminding myself not to do things as I'm tempted to do so much more (I won't!) 

Pottering about at home, light dusting etc. Getting the occasional twinge in my pelvis to remind me but no actual pain at all.  Hoping to start short walks outside from tomorrow.  Feeling more positive than I have for a long time. 

3 likes, 40 replies

40 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

What kind of repairs did you have? I had a rectocele repair yesterday and feel god awful. I am worried because i cant quite distinguish the feeling of needing to have a bowel movement and just intense pressure from the repairs. Because of this i find myself on the toilet every hour or so using a squatty potty and nothinh comes out but then i fear perhaps its too soon to be trying to go and im perhaps undoing something.
    • Posted

Hi your body will not have recovered from the anysthetic as yet. It usual takes about 3-5 days before you manage bm.

Meanwhile try not to strain.

Have they given you something to help aid this like lactulose or movical?

X

• Posted

I had a rectoenterocele repair, sacrospinous fixation & perineal repair.  I didn't have a BM until day 4, I was quite worried but it was ok.  It didn't hurt. I know exactly what you mean I couldn't really tell if I needed to go but you need to wait for your body to wake up.  I had 2 nights in hospital and they were not expecting me to have a BM before going home. Take a gentle laxative to help things along. Try not to worry. X 

• Posted

Jenex this is extremely early for you. Take your pain meds and relax as much as possible. You will know when you get the urge to have a BM. I hope you were prescribed a softener. I was worried and went at day. Three as it was the easiest and most normal and comfortable for years! Wishing you to feel more comfy very soon and and onwards a great recovery 
    • Posted

You need to get into a good routine of regular pain medication. Get a pad and pen and keep track so you are taking them before worse pain sets in. They work best at stopping pain occurring rather than fixing it once it's there. What meds were you given? If it's paracetamol and the likes of Ibuprofen then panadol is 3-4hrly and antiflam 6hrly. Do it like clockwork. You don't need to be in that much pain. But I don't know what meds you were sent home with. 

• Posted

You know i had so many quesions qued up about the surgery i asssumed
    • Posted

....that post op i would be bob
    • Posted

Bombarded with info to go home with but that was not the case and i was too sick from the anaesthesia to realize it.im sorry my phone and laptop are having a terrible time with replying to anything on this site. Not sure why. My apologies.
    • Posted

Iwas sent home with 30 pills hydrocodone recommended 2 pills every 4 hours

and motrin 800mg. My husband says they have cracked down on narcotics (im in the u.s) and theres no way they will give me a refill so to use them sparingly. When i take a half dose i feel as though the stitches are ripping like a sensatiom of a papercut. I cant figure out if its better to be aware so i dont overdo it or if its just gonna freak me out needlessly.

• Posted

Thank you. Unfortunatelu the urge is strong but nothing

Ive taken stool softeners, laxatives, coffee and fiber supplements... i wouldnt mind waiting so mucj if i didnt think it was all backed up in there ripping my stitches apart.

• Posted

I wish i had a 2 night hospital stay. I cant help but feel guilty that ive put all my duties on my husbands shoulders. And that i got a crazy puppy 2 months ago whos going crazy in the backyard.
    • Posted

No i didnt get either of those medicines

I did purchase collace, ex lax, and fiber supplements over the counter though. Im also breastfeeding so certain medications arent appropreate for me

• Posted

Hi jenex,

Please try not to worry too much, things will sort themselves out in time, you just need to try and rest as much as you can and let your body heal.

I know it all seem so overwhelming and isolating but things will get better.

12 weeks in comparison to the rest of your life is not that long. I'm sure your hubby will survive; think about how much us women cope with and that's all the time.

You may not feel to different from day to day but as the weeks go on and you compare week by week progress you will see the difference.

Matron always use to say that if your in pain your not healing so take your painkillers regularly and rest.

Take care,

Phyl x

• Posted

Hi Jenex,

Think your OK to still take paracetamol while breastfeeding.

Phyl x

• Posted

Jenex,

I see you've mentioned you are breastfeeding too! How old is your baby? You poor thing your body has been through a lot. Please don't feel guilty about asking for help. Accept any offers to cook, clean etc. We are told not to lift anything over 5 lbs (hopeless if you have a baby I know) so try and avoid lifting as much as possible. Try and rest as much as possible just potter about every now and again to keep your circulation going. Keep well hydrated and try not to worry.  X

• Posted

You say you are taking "hydrocodone" I didn't know what that was (as my name suggests I'm not a doctor!) so I looked it up. It's quite a strong painkiller that can cause constipation. Maybe your husband could speak to the doctor/pharmacy and get you an alternative that is less constipating? If you are in pain don't stop taking them until you have spoken to someone and have an alternative. Hope you feel better soon. X 

• Posted

jenex, 

I’m also in the US. I had to get 2 refills of the Percocet. So I rolled through 90 pills in no time. And honestly, i probably could have used another 30. But yes, the opioid crisis here in America has changed how these types of medications are prescribed. 

As hope, I can tell you that I’m 4 weeks out and much better. Pooping is still different. I take Colace every morning and Miralax every night to keep everything moving through painlessly. I got one of those handle bar things that go on/around the toilet and that really helped me to not put so much pressure down there. I almost stood up to poop at first at the recommendation of a family member who underwent similar surgery in the spring.

I’m not nervous about going to the bathroom anymore. It is still uncomfortable but not painful. Try to stay as positive as you can. It is going to get better. And if you need medicine for pain, ask for it directly. The worst that can happen is to hear a “no.”

• Posted

Yes its working nicely to keep the pain away. I tried to cut the dose to see if it would help. I habe taken stool softeners and 2 doses of laxatives and managed to have an incomplete bowel movement that took a lot of restraint on my part to not push through, my stomach muscles just kept tensing up! They were not soft but hard pebble kind that i spent weeks eating soft foods to avoid. But i would breath through it and i made it out alive. Now i only wish i knew how things are holding up in there. I realize the pain meds may be to blame, i was told as much at the hospital but Im off my pain meds at the moment and not in any significiant pain. Or any all really as long as im not trying to putter about. Im so afraid of ruining the repair i might have to go to a mental hospital before 12 weeks. Joking of course, but only half way.

I am breastfeeding... my daughter just turned 18 months! Shes my second. My first is 6 years old now and i breastfed her for 19 months and quit cold turky when my sister kept her overnight one night because she would nurse frantically around the clock and it was draining for the both of us. Now my current little one does the same but im not feeling so overwhelmed by it, its easier to cherish it with the second one imo.

How old is your boobie monster? smile

• Posted

tmi: ive been wanting to purchase one of those bars from the pharmacy! I really got a hold on things with my rectocele when i started squatting to have BMs. I know ppl who purchase the squatty potty but i literally just put my feet on the toilet seat and squat above it. Hover i suppose. I hold onto the towel bar but i wanted my 6 year old to start squatting and thought maybe she could if she wasnt afraid of falling in the bowl bc shed have the bars. Im definitely going to be the weird mom passing along all my vagina wisdom.

• Posted

Ha, ha my monsters are way past all that sort of thing they are both in their 20's! I'm 54 I don't know how I would have coped if my children were small. My eldest was an emergency c section, I don't think I was built for giving birth as I ended up back in theatre after having my second naturally to have many, many stitches. So I think it may be his fault I'm in this mess now! Seriously though he's been great, he still lives at home and has done most of the cooking as my husband works long hours & was away last week. 

It sounds like you are a great Mum, they are lucky to have you. Keep in touch. X 

• Posted

Have you looked up the South Tees info on here. It's full of advice. Go to Genitourinary homepage. Click on Useful Resources. Scroll down to South Tees. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.