14 Weeks in after tkr can anyone tell me when they went back to work

Posted , 12 users are following.

I have been ok so far not so tired anymore but due to start work in next couple of weeks .I am a bit unsure as to whether my knee will b ok as I will b on my feet for 7 hrs

2 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Wow June ! I'm still on crutches and had my operation on 8th April! I think it depends on how much wear and tear there will be on your knee? If u try standing or run (sic) around for day you will know how much ,if any swelling or aggravation you will get from a work day ?

I know the more u stand or walk ..the next day it's vwry stiff and very swollen !!! And back to square one ! Best wishes Yasmin x

• Posted

Hi thanks for your input. Your right next day will b on the couch I think but I am desperate to get back to work but also don't want to do any damage to my new knee

• Posted

I didn't have that concern.  If i had've been facing that from my first TKR, I wouldn't have been able to go back to work.  From this TKR I'm 8 weeks in and 14 would work for me.  You'll have to work out ways you can sit a bit.  Good luck

• Posted

Thanks hoping its not too soon don't want to go back the way.

• Posted

What type of work do you do?

Can you do half time initially to see how it goes may be?

• Posted

June, I returned to work part time at 15 weeks.  I clean houses, so am on my feet also.  Had lots of swelling on work days, but it felt good to be tired.  Would come home, shower, rest, ice and elevate.  I did rise early each work day and do my exercises, work, rest, exercise, rest, ice and elevate.  Worked well for me.  We are all different.  Good luck!

i am now 16 month post TKR.

pam

• Posted

My Doctor gave me four months he felt that you need time time. To heel ...you dont want to take any chances....especially if you stand all day
  • Posted

With my first tkr I went back to work at 4 months. My recovery was very good at that time but then I was younger too! The only thing that kept me from going back to work was the weak muscles in my leg that caused my knee to buckle occasionally. Even then I had a job that allowed me to sit often and they were very accommodating. This time, I am at 8 weeks post op and I'm not certain that I would be in any position to go back due to the stiffness and need to rest often. I fatigue easily and don't seem to have the stamina. Hard to tell yet, (but now I am retired). Could you possibly reevaluate as you get a little closer? Best wishes to you.

• Posted

Maybe not such a good idea...maybe.  After reading "billions and billions" (Carl Sagan) of posts, here are some thoughts...

1. It's all very individual...some people can handle it at 4 months, most have problems.

2. Depends on the job.  Desk work, although difficult sitting in one position for hours, is doable but still painful.  Nurses running the hallways is near impossible.  "I will b on my feet for 7 hrs" puts you in the latter category.  Teachers have the same issue.  Construction and factory workers...not a chance...maybe...there are individual exceptions.

3. The mandatory requirements for returning to work are: 1. You are off the opioids; 2. You have done the PT to get your 0 / +120 ROM back; 3. You've done a significant amount of exercise to restrengthen your quads, core and glutes to support the new knee; 4. You are mentally strong enough to handle your workload.

4. Those who go back to work too early report a lot of problems with pain and especially swelling.  Their work pushes the knee beyond what it can take at that point in their recovery.  So they report waking up, going to work, having increasing pain and swelling throughout the day, getting home in a lot of pain, icing and elevating as best they can and then having trouble sleeping because of the pain.  THEN, they wake up the next day and have to repeat the cycle all over again.  Not a pretty picture. 

5. The majority of people report returning to work around six months, some a bit sooner.  At that point, pain and swelling don't occur as frequently. 

Again...all individual.  We have had some people on the Forum who have gone back to work in the 3-4 month range, deal with their issues and get past it...they are not the majority who have tried it at that point in their recovery.

For you, be prepared for the worst and hope for the best.  I'd be exercising my butt off right now to be as strong as possible.

• Posted

Thanks for your help but I really hope it will b OK. My doctor asked me the recovery time. Everyone I ask keep saying its up to me. I haven't had any major problems so far but don't want to go back the way either

• Posted

Dear Chico

I'm now on oxycodone for 5mcg. .take when required ..percocet in USA..tramadol worked for me but in lost a ton of weight. And now my arthritic ankle on that leg is playing me up on weight bearing. .not been eating my raw ginger ..so it makes it difficult to get up and about. Or should I go back to tramadol ?

• Posted

The oxycodone is a lot more powerful than the Tramadol.  Listen to your body.  Take what you need only as long as you need to.
  • Posted

I had a fabulous housesitting job looking after a glorious pup and a garden and some light duties 4 months after my bilateral TKR's and I just only just coped. Soon after, I was offered a casual job standing for 12 hours for a lot of money and I knew it would have been too much for me. Trust your instincts.x

• Posted

Bilateral pkr back to work 4months 6hr days for 2wks. Then 8hr days for 2wks. On feet whole time. Definitely expect swelling and discomfort. Wear your TED hose/compression stockings no matter how hot they feel. After 5 weeks of full time 12+hrs, still swell-left more than right-but not as much and pretty back to normal by morning. The first 2weeks my left leg was a tree stump! I was wiped out and exhausted.

• Posted

That's a good idea get the stockings back on thanks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.