15 days post ORIF-ankle itching...is this normal?

Posted , 4 users are following.

So I am 15 days out from emergency ORIF surgery to fix 3 broken bones in my left ankle, which was also dislocated as well. Had my staples removed 2 days ago and cast off and have a boot now. Surgeon said I can remove it to shower but so far I'm too scared to do anything other than rest it on pillows with the boot open but still on. I noticed my ankle is getting itchy. Is this normal? Also, I start physio next week. What should I expect?

0 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Ooh yes the itchiness can be hell! Try not to scratch though, if you have had a cast on the top layer of skin to your ankle is effectively dead. You can do a bit of damage to the surrounding tissue.

Maybe try some antihistamine tablets they have done the trick for me this time and over the course of my 7 ankle ops. Or I have used a cold compress too.

I had second and third degree burns 4mths ago and the burns clinic give them to you on prescription for this very reason.

Hope the itchiness settles soon.

• Posted

Thanks! I'll try an antihistamine. It's weird that it itches since it's an ankle bone. I didn't know bones itched when they healed I thought just cuts did. Funny thing is that my incision is less itchy than my ankle! I had the cast on it for 2 weeks and just had it removed 2 days ago and a boot put on. Hate the boot

sorey to hear about all the surgeries to your ankle. Were they all to fix the same thing or different injuries?

• Posted

Yeah I hate my boot too, it always comes off at night and gets half thrown across the bedroom so I feel you pain!

I fracrured my ankle when I was a kid but they missed the x2 fractures from the X-ray. Then had a hole in my ankle which progressed to 2 and then 3 holes. Finally the inner part of my ankle has crumbled, with extra bone growths and stress fractures. Hence the ankle fusion back in may! Onwards and upwards though. Xx

• Posted

Wow! That all just sounds awful!! I'm so sorry you've had to go through all of That! On the other hand, you obviously were able to walk again afyer each injury so that makes me feel better. I cry all the time because I'm so scared I'll never be able to walk again. May sound stupid but I've never broken a bone in my life so this has been super scary for me. I dont know what to wxpect or what I can and can't do. I'm still too afraid to take my boot off, even for a shower. I'm terrified of hurting the healing process.

• Posted

Just be kind to yourself, take pain meds when you need too, rest when you need to and don't be pressured into doing too much too soon.

I'm proof that you can get back to 'normal' even though this surgery has been painful, ive had kids so I'm ok ?? I've have a very busy job...on my feet all day, have 2 little ones and dogs who I usually walk too. Just take your time, there is honestly no rush. Let us know how you get on. Xx

• Posted

I know where your coming from when you say about throwing the boot across the roof. I hated mine even the sound of the velcro got to me. Every time having to put that bloody thing on just to go to the loo early hours of the morning. It's now been thrown into the back of the cupboard!! Next to go are the crutches.... They are getting to me now, but still can't walk without 1 crutch because I shuffle because of the pain I'm still getting. This had been the hardest thing I've ever been through. Sx

• Posted

Sorry your going through this Melissa, it is very frightening not knowing what you can do or not do. I cried floods of tears and still do on days. I'm 15weeks since my fall and still not able to walk without help from 1 crutch. It's not an easy journey and still have a long way to go. But can see improvements every week but just not enough for my liking. Instead of you feeling uneasy about taking. Shower without the boot, if you gave a walk in shower then place a plastic chair in there, if your shower is over the bath. Like mine, I bought a bath seat which goes from one side of the bath to the other. Still use it and feel very safe. Even put the plug into the bath so feet get a soak too. Try it and happy showering. Sx

• Posted

We bought a chair for the shower and had a removable shower head installed. Is this fear normal about the boot? I'm so scared. I tried to take the boot off today but as soon as I started to feel a little bit of ache in my ankle I chickened out and stopped. I can't seem to move past the psychological aspect of this.i want to take it off and put an ice pak on my incision and just try and relax with it out but I'm terrified. I don't want to hurt it. I realistically know that the bones aren't going anywhere with all the plates and screws but I can't get passed it. Is this a normal feeling? When the nurse put the boot on after the staples were removed she was moving my ankle around and it hurt really bad. She said it was my ligaments being tense but it really hurt...mow I'm scared to go through that again.

• Posted

Is normal to be afraid. I was scared to even let the nurse touch it. Try taking the boot off for a while and rest yr foot on a few pillows. No movement, just to get the feeling of having the boot off. You could also leave the lining of the boot on and just remove the hard cast of the boot. Do it in stages and build upto the next step each time. I'm sure you will get there, you will be fine. Deep breath and good luck. Sx

• Posted

I hardly wear mine indoors now, I'm allowed to PWB but I use the crutches all the time.

I've never worn a boot before and gosh they are awful things! My last 2 ops a persuaded my consultant to let me have just a bangage round it but not this time as I have a new consultant.

I've still got another 24days before my next lot of X-rays and consultant appointment...by then I may have thrown it out of the window! ??

• Posted

That's bad that they missed your breaks. Now suffering for their mistakes. I hope you your recovery goes well. Sx

• Posted

I did it! I took the boot off!! It was sooo scary at first. I then wiggled my toes to start, which are pretty stiff. I then tried to move my ankle and got it to move a little bit. I let my husband touch my foot and ankle as well. I feel so accomplished!!!!
    • Posted

It's funny how something we took for granted bwfore becomes such a gift. I cried I was so happy when I could move my ankle a little. It wasn't much but just that little bit made me feel better.

Holy cow though, my calf looks pretty small now...weird

• Posted

Lol your time with physio will start to build your calf muscle back up. Mine was sml and all floppy. Horrible!! But now nearly back to normal. Good on you well done sx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.