15 days post ORIF-ankle itching...is this normal?

Posted , 4 users are following.

So I am 15 days out from emergency ORIF surgery to fix 3 broken bones in my left ankle, which was also dislocated as well. Had my staples removed 2 days ago and cast off and have a boot now. Surgeon said I can remove it to shower but so far I'm too scared to do anything other than rest it on pillows with the boot open but still on. I noticed my ankle is getting itchy. Is this normal? Also, I start physio next week. What should I expect?

0 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

As far as physio goes. On my first one all she got me to do was take foot side to side without moving leg/knee. I found it hard, but she wasn't too concerned, also bring foot up as straight as I could then taking toes back down. All to stretch the hell and feel it in my calf. All were gentle and only there for around 20mins. That was my homework for the week. Each week I had to do a little more, all gentle. Now at the gym every week where she had me on the bike and treadmill, small trampoline trying to tiptoe. No way was that happening PAIN!!! I've now had 6 sessions with 3if them being in the gym. I just make sure I take my meds before hand because I still have a lot of pain daily and physio does make it worse. But and a big but, every one is different, and we all have different pain thresholds plus age is a big factor. I'm 60 but 30 at heart. Lol. Sx

• Posted

Aww I'm so sorry you're feeling so much pain! That's terrible. One day at a time I guess. I hope it gets better for you.

My ankle is a bit achy right now but nothing major. Not really painful just a bit of an ache which I expected since it hasn't been moved at all in 2 and a half weeks. Baby steps.

• Posted

And I'm hopeful that me being 32 will make a difference in the healing process lol

• Posted

Hi. I used a well worn green scourer soaked in goats milk cream and used it to gently exfoliate and moisturise foot ankle and leg. Omg it was amazing just be very careful to not touch wound.  Now that my wound has healed go over it as well but very gently. And make sure you use a levelling shoe when walking in boot. 
    • Posted

Is it good for the skin or does it help with inflammation etc?

I'm finding the top of the boot signs in to the bone on the top of my foot and it really hurts.keeos me up all night. Do I need to sleep in the boot?

• Posted

Hi melissa, I would say it sounds as if your doing the boot up too tight over the top of your foot. Just release the velcro a little, thats what i did when the nurse did mine up, as it hurt like hell. If its a air boot then then pump on each side will give you support. I didnt sleep with mine on.But if your worried about it aphone call wouldnt go a miss to ask if you can sleep without the boot. good luck  sx
    • Posted

Thanks Sandra. I loosened the top a lot but I have a bone on the too of my foot that sticks out a little and no matter what I do having the boot on presses on it. I have always had a hard time with shoes rubbing the bone and stuff and it gets painful. I hate this boot to be honest. When I'm not moving around I just keep the boot open so that it doesn't rub the bone but I'm in need of a good night's sleep at this point.

• Posted

Melissa can you pad the boot out a bit? Maybe wear a sock? I have really boney feet so I have started wearing a sock underneath it and feels so much better! Xx
    • Posted

For me was good for skin and I didn't have boot on for long. Hurt like hell. And most don't sleep in boot but some people prefer it for security. 

• Posted

I'll try the sick thing and see if that helps. Don t know if I'm brave enough to sleep without the boot yet.

Just took my son to get his 4 month needles and while trying to get into the chair in the waiting room I lost my balance and put my bad foot down and put some weight on it for a sec. It didn't hurt but it scared me. Could I have damaged my ankle?

• Posted

I'm sure you haven't, those plates/screws etc that they put into ankles are pretty strong. I would have though you would have needed a really hard knock to the ankle to do and actual damage.

Hope you little one is ok after the injections too! Xx

• Posted

Thank you. It doesn't hurt and it doesn't hurt to wiggle my toes or anything but I'm so worried. I'm assuming that if I did do something to it I would feel a lot of pain wouldn't I?

• Posted

I would like to think so. If you are really worried can you contact your dr/nurse and get some advice, just to try and put your mind at rest. Xx
    • Posted

Oh poor you. Melissa it's like me all over again. I worried about everything. It really mad me ill. Every new niggle I would think something wasn't right. It must be so hard for you having a little one to care for with Al this going on. I'm sure all is well, would have to be a fair bang /fall for any damage to take place. If I were you I would definitely sleep with just the soft inside of the boot, it nay give you the feeling of a bit of security while in bed. Personally I can't see how anyone would be able to sleep in the air boot, so a call to the clinic may put your mind at rest, as you may get told that if can be taken off while resting and sleeping, as I was. Mine was never on while resting just needed to put it on as soon as I needed to walk anywhere. Just make that call to put your mind to rest. Hope baby is OK after jabs. Sx

• Posted

He's pretty good. Had a nice long nap but all is ok.

The mental part of this is worse than the actual injury!! I have my first physio tomorrow afternoon though. Nervous and excited at the same time.

I'm guessing my ankle is ok. There isn't any pain, just a mild ache which is normal for me when I've been up and around. It's not swollen more or anything. I figure if there was something wrong I'd have a lot of pain in my ankle. I called the surgeons office but he's on vacay and the receotiin8at thinks it should be ok since there's no pain etc. But she's going to call him and call me back anyway. I also asked her to ask him if it's ok to sleep with the boot off.

• Posted

Great. Let's hope it the news you want. But all sounds good. Meeting on the other hand, I'm in so much pain when walking and gave been from day one out of boot. Physio had told me that it's normal for some and she has no concerns. But this week I will ask if she thinks I need to go back to see consultant or to get some xrays done. But it may be my age that's against me. 60 😔. Glad the little one is fine. Sx

• Posted

Oh Sandra it's awful that you're having such a hard time!!! I really hope your recovery starts to get better soon. I can't imagine your frustration.

I was actually surprised that when I put my foot down accidentally today there wasn't any pain. I assumed there would. But it makes me optimistic that i won't have a lot of pain when I can't weight bear again. I'd have to day my only complaint now is the numbness and tingling on the side of my foot. Like the whole side. It's quite annoying actually

• Posted

I still get tingling on my toes some days they feel as if they are burning. But a little massage with moisturiser cream and it goes away. Physio had told me it's nerve damage and everything know regenerating again. I don't know if its because my break on the right side of my foot was really bad. The consultant told me that once they opened up it was much worse than what they saw on xrays, so hard job pinning it all back. Plus my age 60 all I know is this recovery is not easy and taking far too long for my liking. I've had enough. 15weeks of hell 😢 😢 😢. Sx

• Posted

Oh I feel for you. Do you have a lot of help? That's a long time. I'm only 2.5 weeks in and I'm already frustrated and ready for it to be over. I couldn't imagine 15 weeks and still suffering. I really hope things look up for you soon. That's so h a long time to have to go through this.

• Posted

I don't get much help. My 2 daughters live 27mileaway and both have busy lives with their family. My husband just works around the clock (sore point) my son was great in the beginning but as I've been able to do more now just seems to let me get on with it. Until I ask for help, but then it's only done in HIS time which by then I've either struggled and done it myself or say don't bother!!! Not a happy house at the moment. 😔 😔 😔. I'm very. Very independent and never ask for help unless I really have to, so this has been hell for me. More down days than up ones. Never knew 15 weeks could feel so long and hard and still feel I have a long way to go with being able to just walk!!! Really need to get out to the sea side for some calm in my life as I LOVE the sound of the sea. But no way could I walk on sand or my favourite place of all is all large pebbles. 😢 😢. So they are out. Moan over. Lol. Sx

• Posted

It's good to complain sometimes. Yesterday was the first time since this happened that I haven't been bawling all the time lol it's so tough to get through this. I wish your family would help more. It's hard to rely on others for this. My husband has to do everything with me, the kids and the house and my guilt is through the roof for it.

• Posted

great to hear your hubby is helping. My house is falling apart in front of me, as I do all the DIY. he cant even change  plug.(Why didnt i fall for someonenlike my dad who could do anything)..lol  My dad taught me well thank goodness. Just after my fall the washroon loo broke its a job i can do but need to be able to move around a lot as the space is small, so cant fix that at the mo, my livingroom door hinge needs replacing as the screws are now not stayinf in place, door holding on JUST. But i need to chizzel out door and frame to move the hinge, thats out... the fence atg the side has moved so needs new uprights and holes dug and cemented in..thats out. Yes hubby could do it under suppevision but hes never here!!!  grrrrrr  whats next...sad  sx
    • Posted

Don't feel guilty honey. This is what family do. We would do the same for our husbands and I know I have had to care for my husband many times during our 41 years together when he has been ill.  Ive cared for our children throughout good and bad times. I've also worked most of those 41 years so I do not feel any guilt. I may have when he grumbled about something but got over that quick. We women are a bit silly to ourselves. We forget what we give and feel guilt when we receive. Accept all the help you can get with a smile and a thank you. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.