15 MG MIRTAZAPINE PLUS 150 VENLAFAXINE

Posted , 25 users are following.

I went to see a Psychatrist yesterday and she has prescribed 15 mg mirtazapine and 150 mg Venlafaxine.  I have been on both these drugs before - Venlafaxine for 10 years but it stopped working and 15 mg Mirtazapine which only worked for 2 months.

I was disappointed with this and said but both of these didn't work.   She said that that was singly but they are good in combination with each other.

Has anyone else had this combination and if so did it work?

Many thanks.

Pat

0 likes, 47 replies

47 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Pat,

I was diagnosed with MDD with psychosis last July. I am 68 years old now and had no previous history of depression. I'be been taking 300 mg of Effexor and 15 mg of Remeron (California rocket fuel) since last July and it works great for me. I'm happier than I've been in years and I sleep better too. My only real concern is increased cholesterol is a side effect for me. I hope this helps. If you think of anything you would like to ask me, just send me a message.

Phyl

• Posted

Hi Phillis I'm more or less in the same boat as yourself I'm 66 and I've been suffering depression and anxiety most of my life but it seems to have got worse lately so my g p has upped my mirtazapine to 30,I was on 15 I'm taking Vensir 150 as well so I hope there's an improvement soon, hope you're feeling much better.

• Posted

Hi Phyllis

spoke a while ago with you.

i am trying to get off mirtaz and down below 7.5 now but feeling awful., nausea and insomnia kicked in.

i want to ask my psych for your combination but I dont know if he will let me due to the warfarin.

• Posted

Hi everyone I know this is a pretty old thread but I am on Vensir sr 150 with mirtazapine 15 mgs for about a year but alas my depression and anxiety are back, however my Gp has upped the mirt to 30mgs so I'm really hoping for an improvement I'd appreciate any input folks,thanks.

• Posted

Hi April  I was on 150 mg Ven. and 15 mg Mirt.  They worked great but only for a year!.  I was then upped to 225 Vensir and stil 15 mg Mirt.  That only worked for a few months.  I didn't want to go back to the psychiatrist as he would only up them again. 

When I first started with depression,  nearly 15 years ago, I used to stay in bed and when I got up I would lie on the settee for the rest of the day.

I was determined not to do that now.  I have read a lot of books on self help and I think it has helped.  For the last two weeks I have felt a bit off in bed and getting up but then I'm back to normal for the rest of the day and night and I really feel great.  I belong to a gym and I go to the classes 5 times a week and I think it is that that is working.  This morning the bad feeling was hardly anything so I think I am on the road to recovery.

• Posted

I'm am currently on 75mg of venlafaxine and having a really rotten time. Grown man with three daughters sobbing to GP. I felt awful. She said I was brave for coming to see her. My GP suggested I take 15mg of mirtazapine at night to help me sleep. I am wary of side effects... any reassurance would really put my mind at ease. Thank you all. Reading through these accounts in quite inspiring. First day off with sick leave.

• Posted

Don't despair Jon,I was on 150mgs of Venlanafaxine 12 months ago,actually I started on 75 but it didn't help much. Anyway when I was increased to 150mgs I thought it would do the trick,To be honest it did make me feel better but again I still wasn't myself.One night I was at home and I felt totally overwhelmed and I ended up in A n E where I saw a psychiatrist who added 15mgs of Mirtazapine. I started feeling better after about 4 to five days I can't believe how good this combo is.great nights sleep and waking up without the dreaded "feeling" The only side effect I found is I put on a bit of weight but that was because the mirtazapine increased my appetite,however I've lost the excess weight now just by eating healthy. Stick with the combo Jon you'll soon feel better Promise!

• Posted

Venlafaxine is another name for Effexor do take the Mirtazapine as well it really works only side effects are increased appetite but if you Stuff your mouth with Low call Low fat healthy food you won't gain weight Good Luck Mate!

• Posted

Hi all,

Just like to share that I'm on 300mg effexor and 15mg mirtazapine and it's working very well for me. Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks

Paul

• Posted

Hi Paul,I'm on 150 Effexor and 15 Mirtz,and find it's working for me as well it's actually called California Rocket Fuel! It's one of the best combos out there as far as I'm concerned, Great 2 hear you're doing well 🌻

• Posted

That's awesome April great to hear you're doing well! People like yourself and others that have shared their possitive experiences have helped me tremendously during dark times so I thought the least I could do is to share my possitive experience. Stay well and always know that you're never alone in this journey smile

• Posted

Hi Paul. I hope you can put my mind at rest. I am off work with anxiety/depression. I was on Ven 75mg for two years since my last bad flare up. Anyway 3 weeks ago I started to feel off like I did last time......felt like I was in a bubble. No memory or concentration and couldn't process what was being said. Doc doubled ven  to 150mg and a week later introduced 15mg of mirt. That wasn't working so last week doubled it to 30mg. I'm still heavy headed with all same symptoms apart from fact I'm sleeping better and appetite has come back a little. The symptoms that I have are scary and I'm emotionally flat. Please tell me I'll get better. Have 5 fantastic grown up kids and amazing husband. Sorry for long post

• Posted

Hi guys, I've been on venlafaxine for years but I'm not doing so well anymore, probably coz my mum died a year ago and my daughter has been struggling with MH problems for nrly 3 years now and has been out of school for two years. Everything's been super hard and I just cry all the time and hate myself. The psychiatrist today said take mirtazapine on top of venlafaxine 225 but I'm just terrified to take it! I feel so low and alone and so scared! I read all your replies and it sounds like maybe it works well... I'm still scared though!

• Posted

It seems perfectly okay to be scared. However it is a pretty tried and tested combination. Psychiatrists are really familiar with it. At 15mg it helps people to sleep better and improves appetite. It also manages annoying levels of anxiety. So if you find your getting more hungry try to do more exercise (walking three times a week for at least half an hour is recommended for all of us) or eat fruit. You may well feel a little odd the first week on the medication but the side effects tend to wear off. The other thing I've noticed is my dreams are quite vivid with mirtazapine. No nightmares but I have had some very strange dreams, so you have that to look forward to! It's so important you share your worries with your GP or psychiatrist. They are there to help you get through this period. And you will!

• Posted

I was on lexapro 30mg when I first started mirtazapine 15mg. I remember feeling a bit zonked for the first few days but not in a bay way, I could still function. I would probably start at 7.5 for the first few days. I then went up to 30mg but not much change especially with sleep so I decided to take the plunge with my psychiatrist and try venlafaxine. Long story short, at 30mg mirt and 225 ven I was putting on way to much weight which sucked as a 29yo single guy. 300mg ven and 15mg mirt seemed to counteract each others side effects - no more uncontrollable night time munchies . Also if you suffer from sleep issues like I do the most important thing to do is to go to bed and wake up around the same time every day no matter how tired you think u are (unless u fall asleep on the couch of course) For my schedule it's usually 2-9am and get a solid sleep. Sleep along with exercise which I don't do enough of atm is so important to your mh. I suffered from me and family issues for most of my adult life but I never lost hope that things will get better and they are. You can do this smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.