15 weeks on citalopram

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone.....I'm now on 15 weeks of Citalopram, I've not posted for a couple of months as I've tried to keep busy, mostly decorating to keep my mind busy. I'm still struggling with anxiety, depression, panic attacks, isolation and not thinking clear at all, I do try to get out at least once a day and if I do that then for me it's an achievement. I've told myself I will give the meds 6 months before stopping and not have AD's. I have felt like quitting from the first week but I'm still going but at a struggle. Does anyone know When to know if the medication is working? I just don't remember having good days there more like bad days but can get better bad days if that makes sense. Feeling confused as I thought I might be feeling a lot better by now.

Any advice would be grateful.

Thank you all

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Brye

What dose are you taking?

• Posted

Hi raj

im taking 20mg, I don't want to up or lower my dose as I understand it's like starting the cycle again. I have only taken antidepressants for a year and a half but this is the longest I've stayed on an Ssri, the doctors tried me on about 6 last year and every time I changed dose or changed med I would go into meltdown, I've lost 2 jobs because of this as I just couldn't function and made mistakes.

• Posted

It took me 8months to recover but at around 4 months I started feeling little spikes of relief...and iam only on ten..and recover ..and still on them...hold on
  • Posted

Hi brye i have been on it for 14 weeks now and still suffer from anxiety Im glad i found your post because i thought i was the only one in this time frame heres hoping it gets better for both of us soon cheers...jeff
  • Posted

hi brye

what symptoms are you getting with your anxiety?

i can understand that you dont want to increase your tablets, 

have you noticed any changes?

• Posted

Hi raj

The symptoms I'm getting is feeling a lot of panic and confusion, can't concentrate on anything including watching the tv. Even when I'm alone i feel so tense my wont stop racing going from one thought to the next. I've not worked for 6months now, longest I havn't worked, I've worked since aged 13 now I'm 40 and no sign of me ever working again that's how I feel. I also feel incredibly tired all the time, does this happen to you?

• Posted

Hi Brye

I was off work for 7 months, I have only just returned on reduced hours.

I am so fed up of it. My symptoms are my right side if my face is numb including my ear.. its getting me down.

• Posted

Thanks Lois i've spoken to you before and I know it took you 8 months to recover and that's what keeps me goin hoping there is light at the end of this dark tunnel. Can I ask lois how did you know when you started feeling better and how you knew you had recovered after 8 months?

• Posted

I started feeling little spikes of good feelings around 4 months..my main symptoms of anxiety prior to ssris where... paresthesia in the head..heart palpitations.migrane with aura.. uncontrollable adrenaline.and fatigue.i felt this symptoms deminishing at four months..all though they where still there along with what the celexa inhanse..they finally all disappeared within 8months..at 8 months I no longer felt medicated..my anxiety was completely gone..I was able to go outside without fear..I guess my worst anxiety symptom that I wanted to go away was my scalp paresthesia..and it did.. anxiety symptoms are so strange it can drive some one to insanity...never in a million years I thought that all that I felt was anxiety..but IAM here to say that till this day I feel little tiny bits of inprovements..but IAM recovered..I no longer suffer those dreadful feelings of pain and mental instability..
    • Posted

Bless you for coming through such a difficult experience, your right with what you say about anxiety and how it can drive someone insane.There are so many symptoms to deal with and each person experiences different ones. I hope by 8 months that I can be recovered and at least feel some kind of good feeling towards anything. I'm quite ambitious and want to do things but this illness has stopped me in my tracks and my thoughts. I used to have a great passion for football and golf and I havnt felt any natural feelling towards these 2 sports or anything else to be honest. I would love to have these feelings back especially the golf because its a form of getting exercise and being outdoors. Thanks for being honest and it gives me abit of hope I can my life back together.

• Posted

Can I ask Lois if you struggled with memory and forgetting things a lot of the time?
    • Posted

Yes the memory issues are all too common..so many times I stuck my house keys in the refrigerator..lol.and took me hours to find them...or forget my code to the house alarm...
    • Posted

Hahaha...made me chuckle with the keys in the fridge. Did these ease as you recovered? As I have been decorating the amount of times I have left a tool somewhere and not been able to find it is so frustrating, I can go into 1 room to go and say put wooden floor down then completely forget and go to the bathroom and start painting, I think I'm losing my mind at times when this happens. Would you say this is down to anxiety?

• Posted

Absolutely... inhansed by celexa...
    • Posted

Yes and all those anxiety's ease.. slowly ..also the blips come out of the blue..so don't ever think the meds aren't working...alot of folks feel a blip for a week and automatically think the meds aren't working...

• Posted

Hi Lois

Im still not noticing any positive results yet with celexa?? 

• Posted

I feel abit better that its just the side effects from the anxiety, I thought I was going crazy recently. This last week or so it had felt I had gone back to week 1 again. I have just started a program called "The Lindon method" to help my recovery with people like yourself and this forum I can get well again.

• Posted

You will ..just trust the celexa it will help you in the long run..celexa is a tool..so along with other therapys you will come out the other side...I know the celexa magnifies the anxiety all ready there..plus it also gives you anxiety..it's dreadful but you will get well..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.