15 weeks post op and still stiff!!!

Posted , 14 users are following.

Well am now 15 weeks post op and stiffness is still a big problem inspite of exercise ice and elevation still have no improvement! Have managed to get back to work standing for 6 hrs but it's a real struggle

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Jennifer l am now 18 wks post op l am sorry to say l have the same in the morning my leg hardly bends then l do exercises before l go to work and the bend is better, but l am afraid l think the stiffness is there for the long haul, today l worked11 hrs leg very sore, have iced and will elevate later it will feel better then after a little rest it will stiffen up, l think it's because we have not yet healed l am sure once a year has passed the healing will have taken place and hopefully the stiffness will go, don't give up . I am in my 6 wk bk to work it is a struggle.
    • Posted

Hi blingbling I think your right about the long haul I suppose we should be grateful that we can at least manage to walk and get to work! Have tried everything to loosen up this stiffness but it just doesn't happen sorry your in the same position I wish you well and improvement very soon
  • Posted

Jenni,  I am 14 weeks po and same.  I do my stretches in the morning or ride my bike to loose up.  I agree  with bling bling I believe it is because we still have lots of internal healing to do.  I know my muscles are not fully healed...and I also returned to work 2 weeks ago..I clean homes.  I am very achy by the time I get home, unload the car and get my shower.  The heat seems to help loosen me more now....yes I have to ice and elevate to get the swelling down, but I have also started using heat later.

pam

• Posted

Hi, I'm 11 mths post left tkr and still have some stiffness,but I'm now starting to own my knee as part of me!!!! Up till now it's been literally like a spare part and subconsciously I've probably walked to compensate for it which has meant stiffness and aching. When I forget about it which is now starting to happen I have a good day, so I'm down to it being a bit of a head job!!!! My right knee is being replaced on 8 th June so it's here we go again, tears, pain,bruising, but at least I know what's coming at me this time,hopefully I will cope better
  • Posted

Jenni im 14 wks and still very stiff. Its good to read that others are the same! Iv struggled with walking so am not back at work until a wk on mon! Its the stiffness that is hindering me! We are all the same! It really is a test of patience! We will win our battle! Im sure time is the answer! For the healing etc! Keep up the exercises!
  • Posted

Hello I am 12 weeks post op' I have no stiffness and just a bit of operative pain,I walk 2-3 miles a day and found going to the gym once or twice a week has really helped my GPs practice set up the gym sessions via the nhs a course of 12 half hour sessions. typical session is 10 mins on a bike, some simple squats no weights, two lots of twelve leg lifts 15kg ,10 mins treadmill at 2.2mph. You have to get blood circulating around the knee to help the healing process, I found using deep heat cream helps, physiotherapist advised that ice packs are of no benefit in terms of reducing swelling, I was in the same position as jenni, and I am not saying it is easy but you have to get the joint moving.  Another tip is to maximise your pain relief so you can exercise.
    • Posted

Hi there reading your post I have some questions. I am about 12 days out and my major pain is the stiffness and the knee feels so tight. It has put me into tears at night and deep depression as I feel it is my fault that the stiffness is there. Now reading you say ice really don't help with swelling and you use deep heat cream? What is that? I am pulling my hair out trying to get through this.

I find myself playing catch up with meds as I don't like pain meds. I have had alot of very nice people on here say they are going thru the samething and their advice has been great, but always looking for more. I am still using a walker to get around, can't do a leg raise, heel slids are somewhat there. But the pain and stiffness is killing me. I try to stretch it out but then end up in tears for the whole night. So please any help words of wisdom will go a long way

Thanks Tom

• Posted

Hi Tom, deep heat is muscle rub like for sport injuries, are you seeing a physio? I would go back to your GP to advise on pain killers, as to heel slides I put a baking tray on the floor which aids  movement, when sat on a chair,12 days is very early I was still using crutches at that time.

• Posted

Hi Jenni!

I have stiffness if I am in one position for too long, if it is rainy or snowy, or if I overdo it by walking too much or being on my feet too much working outside.

For some reason the biggest predictor of stiffness for me is the weather. Rain and snow really do a number on my joints as well as my new knees.

As a rule I try to keep moving. At night I often get up and just walk around a bit. This helps a lot.

TKRs June and October 2015

• Posted

you should all share your stories with your surgeons. Therr are ways to fix this by removing scar tissue &/or manipulation. don't wait until your next appointment
    • Posted

Hi that's easier said than done can't get an appointment to see surgeon until July!!!
    • Posted

i just saw my surgeon almost 2 montys before i was supposed go. turns out i have to have another surgery. I'm not sure how booked up your surgeon is, but try really complaining and stressing that you can't do much with your knee. from walking long periods to whatever else you can't do
  • Posted

Hi Jenni,

I am now 6 month po and still suffer with painful stiffness after sitting / driving etc. I think it seems that this will go on for a little while yet (sadly).

interestingly though . . . .    although my knee is stiff, I was able to ski at 15 weeks. I had and still ahve a limp, but could ski as if I'd never had surgery . . . .  but incredibly stiff afterwards!

• Posted

Hi Tricia and thanks for your message, that's very interesting that you were able to ski well done you! I've had a bad weekend with stiffness and pain also can't explain why though the pain side of things had subsided but apparently not the stiffness seems to get worse everyday no matter what I do! Knee feels very heavy and when I walk it feels as if it's pulling downwards, keep telling myself it must get better got another 6 weeks before I see Consultant again, hope your improvement continues, Jenni

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.