15cm Ovarian Cyst - Yikes!

Posted , 11 users are following.

I am 43 years old and recently diagnosed with a 15cm ovarian cyst.  My CA125 is normal.  No pain, was discovered through a catscan.  Doctor's said there might be a small solid area within the cyst/neoplasm.  They also said the chance of malignancy is 20%.  Anyone else have a situation like this?  I am having surgery next week to remove the left ovary, mass (cannot be done laproscopic due to size), and both falopian tubes.  I am SO nervous.  Anyone else have the surgery with hopefully positive outcome?  No female in my family has ever had cancer.  The doctor felt the fact that I feel good is a good sign and I have no abdominal bloating.  I would love to hear your thoughts.  Thank you!

2 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I am 50 and had both ovaries, both tubes a 7.5 cm cyst and a d&c done in August. I had the blood test and it came back fine. I was worried it was cancer but it was not! Mine was done laparoscopicly so I can't comment about that part. After surgery it was a week or so that I had to wait to see if it was cancerous and for me that was the worst part. Your chances seem pretty low so try to stay positive and not worry to much. I will say I have had lots of open surgeries, c section, tubal pregnancy and you will be sore the first couple of weeks but just stay on top of the pain by taking the meds as directed. Good luck to you, sending good thoughts your way!
    • Posted

Thank you for sharing your story, I appreciate it.  I am glad to hear that you were okay.  I find it amazing how these cysts grow and often times we don't feel them or know they are there.  Just like mamos I think a women hould have a scan every two years.  The doctors told me mine could burst and I could end up in a life or death situation.  Just crazy!
  • Posted

I was really similar I had my op about 6 months ago. Aged 31, 30cm complex cyst, no real symptoms. They didn't give me percentages just told me they suspected it was malignant so I was pretty stressed to say the least. Got my results two weeks after surgery it was borderline which means it's not cancer but they have to keep an eye on it with scans every 6 months so I'm ok with that. It was a great relief. I know you'll never entirely stop worrying but the odds are in your favour.

As for the surgery I had a laparotomy and they removed one ovary and tube too. It's not as bad as it seems. Take it easy and keep a pillow for car journeys.

Hope this helps I know what it's like constantly googling and worrying. Good luck x

• Posted

Thank you Sue.  I'm glad to hear you were okay.  AND, I appreciate the advice with not googling and worrying :>)
  • Posted

Hi rhonda26759

I had surgery 2 weeks ago to remove 2 tumours found in my pelvis about 2 months ago. I had lots of symptoms and after putting up with them for a while and being unsuccessful with falling pregannt after trying for number 3 for some time, I finally went to the GP.

My CA125 came back in the 100's as well as terribly low iron levels.

It's been an awful few months to say the least and we are awaiting the results. We get them next Wednesday which will be 3 weeks by then since surgery. Surgery however, did go very well. I was originally meant to have the two tumours removed as well as my left ovary and several chocolate cysts removed from my right ovary. Surgery went really well and I ended up having everything abnormal removed but both my ovaries still in tact and left behind so I was very happy!

Recovery was fine. The first 4 days id say were the worst for me. I spent 5 and half days in hospital and when I first got home, every day things were difficult and I was quite sore. But 2 weeks later I feel much more myself again now, I'm able to get about a lot, can pop to the shops with my husband (still not driving) and am able to get back to normality a bit by doing things around the house. My scar which runs from my belly button down to my pubic bone has healed really really well and isn't as horrific as I thought it would be.

Just crossing everything now for good results. 2 weeks ago, things weren't looking good - I'd convinced myself I had cancer and we were preparing for the worst but since the op and knowing that my gynecologist /surgeon decided not to remove my ovary and also chose not to do a frozen section during surgery but rather send biopsies off which have taken 3 weeks to discuss results (results were in last week but secretary left another week until appointment booked to discuss?), we are feeling a lot more optimistic and trying to remain positive!

Goodluck with surgery next week. You'll be fine. ... surgery was no where near as bad as I set myself up for. I was a nervous wreck and recovery certainly hasn't been as bad as I thought it would be. One tip, get lots of nighties as I literally lived in them for the first week or so as found it very uncomfortable to wear pj/jogging bottoms as they rubbed against my scar. I'm wearing lots of big knickers and leggings a lot now while it's healing.

Good luck! Try not to worry xxx

• Posted

hi, im dory age 29, i had surgery last july due to 17 cm dermoid cyst, it was open laparatomy and had my one ovary and tube removed,my ca125 is normal it was really nerve wrecking when waiting for the results and also the biopsy which made my anxiety sky rocketed. Recovery was a little bit hard for the first 3 days due to the incision which was above my pubic bone and below my belly button, i was so sore, it was really not fun at all... today i am 15 weeks pregnant with no.3, again im shock i thought i will get pregnant again...anyway hoping and praying for the best of you. be strong...take care.
    • Posted

i mean i thought i will never get pregnant again...sorry for my grammar..please keep posted. hope everything goes well for you my dear. its not easy to have this kind of situation...rest after surgery, keep elbows and arms strong,thats the only thing you can use upon getting up on bed. take your pain relievers. take vitamin c for faster wound healing...
    • Posted

That's really reassuring to hear you're currently pregannt after everything. That's what I'm hoping, that's we will still be able to have number 3 after all this ends.

I take the your results were fine and nothing was malignant?? I get my results tomorrow after 3 weeks since op and I'm so nervous. Can't sleep. Can't eat. So scared. Xx

• Posted

yes thank god my biopsy was normal after all i went thru..goodluck and i pray that everything would go smoothly for you. i know how you feel...
  • Posted

I just left my Dr office and had a 15 cm mass. I need surgery as well. How did yours go?
  • Posted

Hello,

I was diagnosed 2 weeks ago with a 15 cm ovarian cyst. I feel fine other than it pressing on my bladder. I have an appointment Sept 28 but calling around to see if I can get in somewhere sooner. Good luck... please keep me posted 

• Posted

Hi Sarah,

I noticed that you posted this 7 months ago, and wanted to see how everything went. My wife and I found out today that she has a 15cm cyst on one of her ovaries, and the MRI showed that it was too large to tell what ovary it was growing on.. Her stomach really started to stick out about 1.5 weeks ago, and she felt pressure on her bladder, always needing to pee, which caused her to go get checked out. They said she will need the surgery like you ASAP. How did it go?

• Posted

Hey there,

I wish I had done it sooner but I wanted to take care of insurance issues first. My incision is very small and my Surgeon was absolutely amazing!!! She did

Such a great job and I feel good. When they told me I had it they said to wait a few months to see if it would shrink. Well mine wasn’t going away and the oncologist said that it’s best to get it out. The cyst latched on pretty good to my ovary so they had to take that and a tube out... I told her before she put me under that if she suspected cancer to take it all. Well my surgery was December 18th 2017 and nothing has changed. My periods are the same and I feel my body hasn’t changed either. Tell her to find a good oncologist that performs this surgery regularly. Good luck!! She will be fine and don’t stress... It’s very very common 

• Posted

Thanks Sara.  We are meeting with an oncologist this Tuesday morning, and they said he will decide on when / if they need to remove it..   By what the radiologist and Gyno said, it sounds Loke they are definitely removing it. She has been fine up until today, as she is starting to get cramps and feel more pressure.  Nothing bad enough to do anything about, but I’m worried that this thing can rupture. Did your Dr. tell you how fast these cyst can grow? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.