15week problem

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi Everyone.Im back looking for a bit of advice please.

I am now at 15weeks post tkr.Apart from the usual problems with pain,nerve pain,tightness and bit of infection in part of the scar I seemed to be doing really well.I had my op on 26 Oct and I saw my surgeon and pt at beginning of December.They were both pleased with my extension and my knee bend which was 95deg.When I saw my pt ten days later the bend was at 110.Four weeks ago it was 120deg.so she said she didn't need to see me again as I was doing so well.I was able to get upstairs normally from week 7(with a bit of pain)and coming down a few weeks ago.I still had a fair bit of swelling above the knee on the left and under the knee on the inside.3 weeks ago I started getting pain going upstairs again and I'm having to hold on again.I have a lot of discomfort all around my knee.I started driving again but it's a small town so not much.I just noticed some of the hardness on the left side of my knee seems to be softening a bit and it's a bit more sensitive to touch again.

Im sorry this is such a long story but I wonder if anyone has any ideas.Thankyou and good luck to everyone.By the way I am 67

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Sounds like you're doing really well! I had three of the "absorbable" stitches come out through one section of my incision and it it looked like white pus with redness, then the stitch just rose to the surface and was removed with sterile tweezers. Now, 9 months post LTKR that part of the scar has a small amount of scar tissue which I am massaging with castor oil or magnesium lotion. Watch for the signs of General infection the doctor should have given you. As I am doing more, I get new pains because muscles that have not been used or are healing are waking up. I had numbness on the outside of my knee which has lessened over time. Pain is a way my body lets me know I need to slow down. Many people who have posted say recovery takes an average of a year, sometimes longer. Good luck with your continued recovery! I'm 67 too and delaying the RTKR hopefully until next year!

• Posted

PS- leg warmers that cover my knees, Epsom salt soaking baths and sitting in front of a portable heater make it easier for me to do my range of motion exercises. When I miss a day, I feel my leg stiffen up.
  • Posted

The healing will ebb and flow. You will make progress and then slip back. Do not despair or get discouraged. TKR (as you know) is hugely invasive and takes a long time to recover. Slowly but surely the setbacks will fade and it will be all down hill. You've come a long ways and it gets easier not by the day but by the month.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.