The REALITY of a TKR Recovery...In One Picture

Posted , 30 users are following.

Yeah...this one says it all.  Wanna post it on your fridge?

- Click on the picture...it expands. 

- Put your cursor inside the picture and RIGHT-CLICK. 

- Select "Save As..." and save it to your pictures folder. 

- Use any photo printing software you have to expand the picture to fill the page so it's nice and big.

Tech support out... 

19 likes, 54 replies

54 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Saw the picture. So is an Osteotomy better?
    • Posted

Pros and cons.  From a knee site...

"Knee osteotomy has three goals:

To transfer weight from the arthritic part of the knee to a healthier area

To correct poor knee alignment

To prolong the life span of the knee joint

One advantage of the procedure is that, by preserving your own knee anatomy, a successful osteotomy may delay the need for a joint replacement for several years. Another advantage is that there are no restrictions on physical activities after an osteotomy—you will be able to participate in your favorite activities, even high-impact exercise.

Osteotomy does have disadvantages. For example, pain relief is not as predictable after osteotomy compared with a partial or total knee replacement. And recovery from osteotomy is typically longer and more difficult because you may not be able to bear weight on your operated knee right away.

In some cases, having had an osteotomy can make later knee replacement surgery more challenging.

Because results from total knee replacement and partial knee replacement have been so successful, knee osteotomy has become less common. Nevertheless, it remains an option for many patients."

• Posted

It’s going to be a difficult one for me I think. 
  • Posted

‘If a picture paints a thousand words’ then the bike was ditched at the first dip, just emerging to rope cling. Keep the flag flying, Chico.
  • Posted

Love the picture Chico and so true! I just want to put this out to any one still considering a knee replacement. A friend of mine just had it done robotically and minimally invasive (no cutting of the quadricep). She had it done right before Thanksgiving needed hardly no pain meds, no walker, no cane and came out of the hospital the following day. She goes to physical therapy & started driving not long after surgery. She is Christmas shopping & walking in the malls. If I ever need my other knee done that is the route I am going. There are doctors trained in robotic surgery you just have to look for them.

• Posted

REALLY??????  I'm gonna look into this for knee #2 next year.  Thanks so much!!!

• Posted

Good for her but I think she may just be very lucky.  I also had the robotic TKR 6 weeks ago.  My surgeon is a miracle worker - literally - patches people together after crushed bones, detached feet, shark attacks etc. My ROM is and was excellent from the start but I have had to deal with mega pain, which morphed to discomfort at about 4 weeks, persistent insomnia and a very tight feeling knee.  I walk without anything but still awkwardly because of a weakened quad.  I also hear pops from time to time.  

Not sure where that came from.  Had a level III PCL / ACL / MCL knee injury after a horrible fall 2 years ago.   Fell down an incline walking my dog and bent my leg at the knee totally backward - heel into my glute.  POP!!!  They refused to do reconstruction at the time because of my advanced age of 64 (at the time).

I think the Robotic TKR is the future because the computer aided custom fit maximizes the knee fit to .1mm tolerance and cuts down on chances of osteolysis.

The only bright spots I have found post op are the cryo cuff icing machine and the CBD oil recommended to me on this site.  Hubby won’t let me behind the wheel, tho I seem to think I could do it.  The biggest disappointment is that there doesn’t  seem to be hydrotherapy on my island and having moved here, we no longer own a pool and a spa.....

• Posted

I looked into that before mine , but the part I was told that they use wasn’t as good , I don’t know I think people just vary a lot with the pain , I was also told by a surgeon that if you are older you have less pain.  A friend had it in her 70’ s had little pain , I had a lot for a good 8 wks and still at 11 very uncomfortable 
  • Posted

Boy, Chico Marx, I wish I'd had this to put on my fridge when I had my TKR (left knee) 3 years ago!!! If I have to have my right knee done, I'll have it to put on my fridge and hopefully I won't get so discouraged. You have great information for us TKRers.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.