The REALITY of a TKR Recovery...In One Picture

Posted , 30 users are following.

Yeah...this one says it all.  Wanna post it on your fridge?

- Click on the picture...it expands. 

- Put your cursor inside the picture and RIGHT-CLICK. 

- Select "Save As..." and save it to your pictures folder. 

- Use any photo printing software you have to expand the picture to fill the page so it's nice and big.

Tech support out... 

19 likes, 54 replies

54 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Okay, so I'm guessing from the pic it's a roller coaster ride and to be patient and there are no cardio excercises that can be done 🙁

• Posted

My fridge won't go through the printer anywAy but horizontal. Any suggestions. I have e others to help me het it in place but the formAtting seems to be the problem.😂

• Posted

My fridge won't go through the printer anywAy but horizontal. Any suggestions. I have 3 others to help me get it in place but the formatting seems to be the problem.😂

• Posted

You're missing the correct printer driver for your fridge.  I think there's a web site called "Fridgeydrivers" or something like that.  Yeah...tough angle to get right...

• Posted

I agree with this. I am now 5 months I had three weeks of no night pain, then bingo, started back two nights ago, is there a reason for this??? I've been a little slack on the exercises, could that be it. Thanks for any advice Chico.

• Posted

None of us are ever prepared by the docs for how difficult this recovery actually is.  The whole thing usually takes a year and the pain is up and down, though typically decreasingly so, for the first six months...the worst being the first three.  There are advances, setbacks and plateaus...all three. 

If your pain is stiffness and tightness related and you have not been doing your exercises, yes, that could be a factor.  If your ROM is not at least 0 / +120, you can try these...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/tkr-rom-work-at-home-620053

If your ROM is good, you need to rebuild the strength in your atrophied quads, glutes and core to support the knee.  If the muscles are weak, all the pressure stays on the knee.  Gotta regain that strength...takes a few months...at least...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/post-tkr-exercising-565527

By now, you should be off the heavy duty opioids.  The transitional drug to plain OTC Ibuprofen is called Tramadol (Ultram).  That could help.  Docs will sometimes add a muscle relaxer like Flexeril to help.  There is also Voltaren Gel (RX in the US) that is a GREAT topical anti-inflammatory and pain killer.  The trick is also to get some good sleep.  Here are some tips...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/trouble-sleeping-post-tkr--539591

After hearing from some people 3+ years post-op, it seems that this will be a lifelong recovery.  Stop the exercise and the stiffness returns.  Gulp...  

• Posted

I’m now 31/2 months post op and been getting lower back pain , especially at night and when I get up . Don’t know if connected to knee , didn’t have it before op .  Anyone else get it ? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.