16 days post op

Posted , 11 users are following.

I have never been so excited in my whole life. I am a 60 year old runner and have been completely up front with my Dr & PT that I will run again.

My PT has told me that he has never seen recovery like this and how quickly it has happened. I have complete range of motion and am absolutely pain free with no hip or leg rerstriction.

I work in the running industry and was told I would be out of work 4-6 weeks. Well I have been cleared to work but with no lifting or deep bending. I am riding a bike and doing stretching without any difficulity. ZI am a hard worker who does not take no for an answer but I do listen closely to my body. 

I am NOT going to run until a full 60 days is up in order for a complete healing of the joint and stem. I'm motivated but not stupid but I also know what I can do.

My advice to everyone and I know everyone is different but keep that hip moving and do the exercises and walk walk walk and get off those damm meds. Its always been my belief that the meds are only a band aide when it comes with pain. I dealt with it and it was soon over. For me I had zero pain meds after the first day. I like dealing with reality.

Be POSITIVE and yes listen to your doctor but more so listen to your body. Get out there and do exactly what you did prior to your hip replacement

I wish everyone all my best,

Billy

5 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Great to hear Billy - as I'm keen to get back to my sporting life too. Echo debbi1949's question though - I'm guessing you had anterior approach?
    • Posted

Thank you very much. Yes anterior procedure. I had the best doctor in the world and his name is Dr James Hartford out of Stanford & PAMF
    • Posted

That's only 200 miles from me..... I'M seeing Dr. Brock Cummings in Chico. I wonder if they know each other?
    • Posted

I thought it must be anterior :-) Mine is tradiional posterior and  with all the determination in the world there was no way I could've achieved complete range of motion at 16 days - must be amazing! But I'll get there too - can't happen soon enough!
  • Posted

You,ve obviously done fantastically well , and well done to you for being so focused - i hope all continues as well for you. I would presume you were fairly superfit before the op which makes a difference in recovery . I,m now 7 weeks post op 3rd hip op and suffered a lot of muscle wastage prior so although I,m pleased to be cycling , swimming again at 7 weeks I , m still on morning painkillers which help me get going . Its not how we get there , it where we get to that counts - everyone has their own pathway and the journey is different for dofferent people . I,m listening to my body and its telling me I need analgesics to get going in the morning , I would hate for such a positive post such as yours to make others feel they are failing . And yes , I agree , walk walk walk is the way to go , my Consultant agreed and I,m doing my 10,000 steps each day (plus more ) and my 30 lengths in the pool, although I realise for some people getting to the end of the road and back is a major achievement  and something they havent been able to do for some time - so cheers for all of us hippies and our varying recoveries , but well done you in particular as thats a good role model for others xx

• Posted

I would never ever try and deflate anyone in any way, shape or form. As I said in my post, everyone is different, as I am. I am very detemined to not let this get in the way of my goals. 

Yes I had the anterior approach and was in great shape going in. I was still running up to 40 miles per week prior to surgery. Yes it was tough, very hard but the longer I could continue with my running the better off I would be after surgery.

Not to say I'm stubborn or stupid. Everyone needs to listen to their body. I have consulted the very best when it comes to the topic of running after hip replacement. There have been zero studies on this and I know of runners who are running ultra marathons after a hip replacement procedure. 

It's also my belief that mind over matter means more than anything else. I have a running blog of which I will update and place online to hopefull encourage people to run and be active after hip replacement surgery. 

From the bottom of my heart, I wish you all well

Billy

• Posted

Love that attitude Billy! Would be really interested in reading your running blog. Would you be able to private message me a link (I don't think the moderators allow links on the forum itself)? Thanks :-)
  • Posted

That sounds amazing, Billy. I've had an urge to run since my op, but haven't tried it. I am now cycling under my desk, thanks to a mini unit I ordered, so hope I will be brave enough to try a jog soon. I also listen to my body and it says "not yet"...
    • Posted

Your body will tell you when but DON'T be afraid. I know every doctor tells everyone not to run but I truly believe they are being cautious and helping to protect patients. My doctor knows I'm going to run and he is NOT telling not to run. 

I am scheduled to run in the Senior Cross Country Championships in Tallahasse in December and I will be there.

Good luck and DON'T be afraid

Billy

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.