16 days post op

Posted , 11 users are following.

I have never been so excited in my whole life. I am a 60 year old runner and have been completely up front with my Dr & PT that I will run again.

My PT has told me that he has never seen recovery like this and how quickly it has happened. I have complete range of motion and am absolutely pain free with no hip or leg rerstriction.

I work in the running industry and was told I would be out of work 4-6 weeks. Well I have been cleared to work but with no lifting or deep bending. I am riding a bike and doing stretching without any difficulity. ZI am a hard worker who does not take no for an answer but I do listen closely to my body. 

I am NOT going to run until a full 60 days is up in order for a complete healing of the joint and stem. I'm motivated but not stupid but I also know what I can do.

My advice to everyone and I know everyone is different but keep that hip moving and do the exercises and walk walk walk and get off those damm meds. Its always been my belief that the meds are only a band aide when it comes with pain. I dealt with it and it was soon over. For me I had zero pain meds after the first day. I like dealing with reality.

Be POSITIVE and yes listen to your doctor but more so listen to your body. Get out there and do exactly what you did prior to your hip replacement

I wish everyone all my best,

Billy

5 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Billy , 

Wow is all can say !!!!   I like the way you express your self and how considered you are - chosing the right words of encouragement - 

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Hi Billy

Im not as fit as you but I keep trying. I'm 69 years old and after the hip replacement 14 weeks ago I've had plantar fasciitis in the foot of he operated leg.  I'm a member of the ramblers society and love walking but this problem is affecting my walking.

Brenda X 

• Posted

I love rambling too and am hoping to get back to long countryside walks over the summer . Also going kayaking in Scotland at end of August , although I think I may need help getting in and out of it ! It is a lovely feeling getting back to normal - 10 years ago I was fit , a member of the RNLI crew , and went to the gym every day - now I,m overweight , post 3 different hip replacements and as unfit as I,ve ever been ! Am determined to get back to how I was although I,m taking it slowly and carefully - my consultant and I have agreed not to see each other for the next 20 years and I,m going to do my best to make sure I don't need to 😀, lovely though he is ! Billy- Good luck in the championships - I don't do running but admire anyone with your drive and determination xx

• Posted

Hi

Im not as fit as you have been.  When I joined the ramblers 16 years ago I found I could walk and enjoy it. My claim to fame was our local round walk of 25 miles, it nearly killed me but I completed it.  I love dancing too I'm 69 years old and hope to get back into these activities

• Posted

Well sounds like you are doing pretty well - 25 mile walk is a good goal - I'm managing about 3-4 with lots of stops but way better than what I could do pre op ! Just trying to build it up slowly , and increase core strength and stamina - will take time . Dancing is always good - can't wait to get back to that 😀Xx
  • Posted

Hi the 25 miles was about 15 years ago. Pre op I had to stop walking because it caused pail. I sometimes met the ramblers and did the last couple of miles but that was 12 months ago. Now I have to settle for short one around towns where there is plenty of seats.

Hope to get back into it soon

Brenda

• Posted

Well done. Im 20 and cant even lift my leg up yet and im 16 days too. Although I know my surgery was a lot different to the normal and im non weightbaring haha.

But im glad to hear your recovery is going so well

• Posted

That's positive thinking lol, well done Billy.

I walk up to 5 1/2 mile a day at the moment but might try a bit longer from tomorrow. I do still use a stick when needed though, mainly when going up the steep hills or I feel it pulling and don't want to limp badly.  Had a posterior.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.