16 months out of sigmoid removal - still sometimes tough in adjusting.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Had surgery to remove my sigmoid colon in October 2018. I have good days and others, not so much. I have for the most part, eaten "clean" forsaking beef, pork and bottom feeding fish and seafood. My food choices include fresh vegetables and fruits, and free range chicken, and wild caught fish. With all the good changes though, I still battle IBS-C, and experience alot of pain in my abdomen and around where the sigmoid used to be. My B/Ms are often times small and stringy, no big a round than my forefinger. It often times feels like I still have waste trapped or stuck in my rectal area. Sometimes I'll take a good dose of Milk of Magnesia to get things moving, with a short lived degree of relief. I gave up on Linzess, as it seemed I've developed a dependency on it. rendering it ineffective.

My Gastro Doc did a colonoscopy on December 30th and reports to me there is no constricting around the juncture of the two cuts ends, but he advised that I still had evidence of diverticulosis. Gastro Doc says its impossible to get dependent on laxatives. But, I think different.

Anyone else that had DD related sigmoidectomy experiencing the same things? Also, should I be worried about the size of my B/Ms if it isn't what it used to appear to be?

Outside of being worried, I am also very depressed about it all. I've resolved not to use the Gastro doc that I've been going to on and off for the last ten years. I'd rather find a new one to go to in the future, than to see that one again. Even before I had surgery, he had very little good advise, except to go home and use laxatives to a nauseating degree.

I just want to be restored and use the bathroom like an adult again with little help from laxatives, if I can.

Anyone else?

Thanks,

Gio

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I'm confused? You had the surgery but, you got new DD? Or, was it there when you cut the worst bits out🤔?

The more I read it sounds as if nobody really gets loads better😥.

• Edited

I also have IBS - C - and had surgery almost 3 months ago for DD. My surgeon confirmed that I still have diverticuli in a couple areas of my colon that were not removed, but the chance of it turning into diverticulitis were slim. I still watch my diet in that I don't eat any seeds, popcorn, corn or nuts just as a precaution. As far as the constipation, which I do suffer from some, I take a small dose of magnesium citrate (100 mg capsule) - a lot of people take more. The thing I have found works best for me when I am constipated is a glycerin suppository. It works quickly and helps me get moving. Unlike stimulant laxatives, which I think are widely recognized as possibly causing a dependency, I have read that you can use the suppositories daily without it being a problem. I usually use once or twice a week, sometimes not that often. I would definitely get a second opinion from another GI - too many doctors out there to put up with one you don't have confidence in and your personalities don't mesh.

• Edited

I'm going on 2 years since my open cut surgery. I did have a couple mild attacks last year (due to stress, my #1 trigger). Depending on your situation, because everyone is different, what you're experiencing is normal. Remember the surgery is a major operation, sometimes will take 2 years or more to recover. I have to take milk of magnesium every morning, BMs will never be the same, it's my new norm. I eat pretty much what I want, in small portions and chew well. I too was scared to eat anything at first, did stay on the soft bland diet the first 2 months then slowly rediscovered the world of food.

• Edited

Jacob, yes for sure. Just because the damaged colon is removed it is no guarantee that the disease will not return. I was advised by my surgeon that he got all of the bad part out. The Gastro doc that performed the most recent colonoscopy told me that he located some more pockets. But like others on this great site, I try to minimize the possibilities by living clean and eating clean as much as possible. Stress at the job is a BIG part of my life, and of course I try to "cook it off" positively with excercise and positive thinking. I must also mention most importantly, that while I know most of this is up to me, I pray much of the time and lean heavily on GOD. I pray for you all as well.

Glenda, dee and all the rest - thank you for your encouragement, and kind support. I've been with you all now for just over 2 years, and this site has been a great help to me.

Love you all.

• Edited

I had a small chicken finger(not fried) with mashed potatoes for dinner. Bloody praying it settles well. My stomach makes the weirdest noises after every meal.

• Edited

That's your new norm. Your abdomen and stomach has been through hell. You basically have to teach yourself how to digest again. 2 years later my stomach still does that.

• Posted

I'm 8 days post-OP, 9 if you count the day of the procedure. Here's what I find odd...

The sensation to take a poo is very different, I go more often, but small handfuls if that makes sense? And, what's more bizarre is the miralax seems to only produce a bit more poo with my first bm in the morning, whereas prior to surgery I usually had one large bm every morning and that was it. So odd.

How long after surgery did you incorporate salads? Will I ever be able to have chips and guacamole again? What about tacos and nachos? Chili, or a proper steak? I don't care about deserts as the foods I just mentioned were my cheats meals after a week of eating very healthy. Sunday was always my cheat day.

I read all the horror stories on here, but are there folks on here who have this surgery and live a pretty normal life food wise?

Heres a question I'm going to ask my surgeon: The research seems to indicate that most diverticuli form on the sigmoid and lower part of descending colon...if true why not always preform a hemi colectomy? That way you up one's chances of staying disease free. Any and all advice appreciated.

PS: I plan to mostly eradicate red meat from my diet, but I sure would enjoy a steak again, but not if that mean a world of pain.

Are tuna fish sandwiches okay? So many questions...

• Posted

As everyone is different and their tolerance level it's a hit and miss when it comes to food. My situation is I also had sepsis which inflamed all of my organs from the heart down. Between the antibiotics and disease, it did a number on my stomach lining. Always keep in mind the surgery only removed the damaged tissue, not the disease. After 8 weeks I SLOWLY started introducing foods that I hadn't eaten in years, and in moderation. I had ground beef broken up, salad (no tomatoes), ground Turkey. Careful on the salads and red meat, hard for your stomach to digest. I can almost eat what I want now with the exception of salsa, NO tomato seeds. Still working on fresh vegetables. As for the BM I too was once a day, no more. Remember, they took some of your colon out so frequent poos are normal. I will always take milk of magnesium every morning. If I don't, I get constipated which can cause another attack on top of making you miserable. It took me over a year to even try gassy vegetables like broccoli cauliflower bell peppers, etc.

• Posted

I was so much like you the first month or so after surgery. I closely monitored my bowel movements and panicked when I thought they were too little or too much! I found that only time made me somewhat normal again - as it is said I think I found my new normal and I don't stress over it as much. Still have a tendency toward constipation, so I try to not let that get ahead of me. In a couple months you will look back and see that it was just a slow progression. I eat most everything except the seeds, corn, nuts, and spicy and tomato stuff. No big meals! I think you will find you can eat most of what you are yearning for as long as you don't overdue and don't eat it constantly. I have to watch myself on that b/c I feel well enough to eat everything that I am going back to some bad habits (too many chips and sweet stuff). Just thankful for everyday that I feel better - and you WILL get there!

• Edited

Jacob, sorry for the lengthy delay in response. Reference the spirits question. I'm with the others on waiting a minimum of 8 full weeks post OP before hitting any booze.

The fizzy drinks for me are a no-no, and the same generally goes for beer. I've completely given up whiskey and bourbon.

I enjoy a good brand of pinot noir one, or two evenings per week; one glass, or two with supper. Pinot noir is said to have the highest concentration of resveratrol and is good as an aid for digestion.

My suggestion would be to heal up, follow the docs orders and be cautious.

• Posted

Haven't had any alcohol for close to a month. What's another month lol. I just want a good vodka martini to be honest🍸👍🏻.

• Posted

I'm sorry I forgot to ask about spirits. How long after surgery did you have a glass of wine, a cocktail, or a beer? I don't intend in indulging until I'm at minimum a month out. Thoughts? Cheers--Jacob

• Posted

That would depend on your situation and tolerance. Before you imbibe in spirits I would consult with your doctor. I'm not a wine drinker, would have a mix drink once in a great while. With a shortened colon you'll find that it doesn't mix well with carbonated drinks. My stomach instantly bleats and I get extremely gassy...lol. My poor boyfriend..lol..so I personally stay away from beer or soda.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.