16 months out of sigmoid removal - still sometimes tough in adjusting.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Had surgery to remove my sigmoid colon in October 2018. I have good days and others, not so much. I have for the most part, eaten "clean" forsaking beef, pork and bottom feeding fish and seafood. My food choices include fresh vegetables and fruits, and free range chicken, and wild caught fish. With all the good changes though, I still battle IBS-C, and experience alot of pain in my abdomen and around where the sigmoid used to be. My B/Ms are often times small and stringy, no big a round than my forefinger. It often times feels like I still have waste trapped or stuck in my rectal area. Sometimes I'll take a good dose of Milk of Magnesia to get things moving, with a short lived degree of relief. I gave up on Linzess, as it seemed I've developed a dependency on it. rendering it ineffective.

My Gastro Doc did a colonoscopy on December 30th and reports to me there is no constricting around the juncture of the two cuts ends, but he advised that I still had evidence of diverticulosis. Gastro Doc says its impossible to get dependent on laxatives. But, I think different.

Anyone else that had DD related sigmoidectomy experiencing the same things? Also, should I be worried about the size of my B/Ms if it isn't what it used to appear to be?

Outside of being worried, I am also very depressed about it all. I've resolved not to use the Gastro doc that I've been going to on and off for the last ten years. I'd rather find a new one to go to in the future, than to see that one again. Even before I had surgery, he had very little good advise, except to go home and use laxatives to a nauseating degree.

I just want to be restored and use the bathroom like an adult again with little help from laxatives, if I can.

Anyone else?

Thanks,

Gio

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Edited

post op appointment today. Hopefully all goes well. Been complaining about a small bump under my lowest incision since the day I left hospital. My surgeon was sent pics a week ago. Hopefully it really is just a result of the swelling. If he has to do anything additional I'll be irate. Fingers crossed 🀞🏻🀞🏻🀞🏻🀞🏻.

• Edited

I have a bump caused by the stitches and scar tissue. Pretty common. Exercise is extremely important at this time (just walking ) to prevent scar lesions.

• Posted

My doc said it was a Seroma, which is a sterile build up of water under the incision. I'm to put a hotpad on it 3x a day for 15 minutes. Thank f**k it wasn't an incisional herniaπŸ™. I'm so exhausted every day, and the pain comes on late in the day. I'm only taking 2 1/2 pain tablets a day currently. Today the pain really sucks. Perhaps too much walking?

• Edited

I started out by walking around our house 4 times which is approximately 2 times around the hospital floor. Once I got comfortable then added more times around the house a little at a time. Don't push it, the surgery you had is MAJOR. Eventually the pain will start subsiding. I took 1 pill in the morning and 1 at night. Rarely took 1 in the lunchtime, only if I was really hurting.

• Posted

I don't think I can tolerate much dairy at all currently. Anyone else experience this??? I was not lactose intolerant prior to surgery. Odd this🧐.

• Posted

I rushed it yesterday. I had sashimi for lunch. Also had some low fat frozen yogurt which wrecked me. Live and learn.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.