17 weeks post TKR

Posted , 12 users are following.

I just wanted to share this, it makes me.laugh people's comments who have not had a TKR. I'm 17 weeks post TKR, had a manipulation on 27th March. I had my back to work meeting today due to go back 4th June, my supervisor said " you've been off an awfully long time you must be well rested and fully recovered now, rareing to go "😁 that's all I could do was laugh at her!! My jobs very physical as I'm a housekeeper, after the walk in and what they've offered as my phase return I don't think I'm going to go back. Well rested lol I'm physically shattered x

3 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Not enough is said about thus operation. It is really invasive surgery and I never realised this yes did expect pain etc but not as much as this. My family now totally respect anyone who has gone through this surgery. Your employer or ex employer sounds a totally ignorant not bothered about their staff. Take care
  • Posted

I agree with everything you say. Those people haven't a clue regarding any health matters. Before I retired the occupational health person I had to see was unbelievably clueless, I had a foot problem which made very difficult and painful walking or driving, so he suggested I could return to work and do either a driving job, or security which meant I would be on my feet all day. Your knee will improve with time, mine are almost 20 and 18½ years old now and I have had no problems with them, since recovery.

• Posted

I'm a Sicilian from Brooklyn..ya know...Mafialand...  We hear people say that and we club them to within an inch of their lives with our cane.  No, people who have not gone through this have no clue.  Instruct them...you have our blessing...

• Posted

Haha, they think we just sit on our backsides all day watching daytime television
    • Posted

Yes I do sit on my backside a lot because my knee operation wrecked my back lol.I have one failed spinal fusion op which failed.I always have pain with that but 100 times worse since knee op.I would give anything to get my mobility back.
  • Posted

I used to get oh you don’t need those sticks and you should able to walk further than you do, yeah yeah yeah, I am in my 17th week and havonly been off my stick for 4 weeks.  People always think they know best, it’s a joke, as they haven’t been through the op so they sho7ld be making these comments.  I still tire easily. 

Good luck with your recovery.

• Posted

I have been through many major surgeries but nothing prepared me for a tkr.I am about 16 weeks now and for the first time I am relieved I am retired.I worked in healthcare in the community and was constantly in and out of the car ,up and down stairs etc which I enjoyed but there is no way I could do it now.

If you are in a position not to go back to your housekeeping job I wouldn’t.NOBODY understands what this operation is like unless they have had it.

• Posted

I've had 30 general anesthesia surgeries in the past 18 years.  Mostly minor stuff like 7 trigger fingers, 2 shoulder impingements, 1 carpal tunnel, 4 knee scopes.  But there's also been a hip replacement, two spine fusions and two spine laminectomies...  I rehabbed the hip in six weeks at the gym and therapy pool...5 hours a day, 6 days a week.  Thought I'd breeze through the knee.  WRONG!!!!!!!!

This is the most difficult recovery ever...EVER!!!  The pain, the time, the work...it takes a whole year.  And if anyone expects more out of you than you can give at any point in time, club them over the head...repeatedly...with your cane.

• Posted

im so sorry. it seems people have no knowledge of what TKR involves nor do they really care. I'm 6 wks post and just asked the doc for another 2 wks. I have a desk job but it is extremely stressful. I'm afraid that because I'm so sleep deprived I might just "LOOSE IT", Therefore jeopardizing my job. Hopefully God will bless you with a better more accommodating job. This knee replacement thing is no joke.

• Posted

Yes physically and even emotionally shattered is how you can feel after tkr. Some people are lucky and they are well quickly. I had bilateral tkr and I also had a manipulation just yesterday.  No pain but stiff and swollen. I can’t wait to get back to my life and it’s been slow going. I know we have to be positive, but some days it tough. Don’t rush back to work before you are ready. Unless you have gone through it yourself you don’t understand. Good luck!
    • Posted

Totally right.  And it's because none of us are prepared for the recovery.  Docs don't tell you about the insane ROM work or the muscle rebuild afterwards, that you will feel like crap for the better part of a year and that all the pain and stiffness goes away very, very gradually, and more...especially the NORMAL post-op depression.  They make it seem like it's a six week deal instead of 12 months.

I've been on here for over two years and have read over 4,000 posts.  You know those people who "are lucky and they are well quickly"?  I can count them on less than one hand.  It's a long road filled with advances, setbacks and plateaus.  None of it is easy.  Time, work and patience...those are your tools.  At 2+ years post-op, I can tell you that it's all worth it.  Just not looking forward to #2..........

• Posted

Hi Natalie, I'm fourteen wks post TKR. There is still A lot of swelling. Doc stopped at home therapy cause he said it was to aggressive. Gonna start therapy again. But what I'd like to know is, how was it after the MAU? How was the pain and how soon were you abel to bend your knee. I know that's next for me. You will so help ease my nerves. 

Thanks You

• Posted

Hi

I was able to bend my knee straight away , it felt very strange as I only got a bend of about 40 for a good 10 weeks, the pain was bad , just for about a week , it was just where I had been pulled about , pain in thigh, back hips etc, though I have come to realise through this horrendous journey I havnt got a very high pain threshold lol so you might be ok with pain , I am glad I had it done , I can't get the 130 that the surgeon got but I'm at 115 now . The MUA is over very quick I think I was only under for about 20 minutes. Good luck xx

• Posted

Chico maybe the leader of total amount of surgeries and it is a lot but unfortunately I might be the leader on knee surgeries so far 17 including 5 replacements on L knee with another surgery on the way hopefully in June and a scope on my right a torn meniscus. I can say for a fact knee surgeries are very painful. Until you get to experience a knee surgery you will never have a clue of how important your knees are. I thought the same with my first in 03 and have grown to hate everything about my knee. Anyone that thinks differently needs their head examined.
    • Posted

Yup...you claim the knee crown.  I had four scopes and the TKR.  But...  None of my list above includes the four kidney stones plus colonoscopies and endoscopies.  Pain and I are very old friends.  45+ years of hockey and I'm paying back every cent...every hit, check, split and kick save took its toll...

• Posted

Maybe we should contact Guinness Book of World Records we might be missing out on fame and fortune in spite of our pain and discomfort. What do you think??

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.