17 with pinworms, 2nd time

Posted , 4 users are following.

So a few months ago I realised i had worms and went to straight to the pharmacist. They gave me Ovex which seemed to work perfectly. I also changed my bedsheets and cleaned the bathroom. However, I didn't tell anyone in my family out of sheer embarassment. Few months later and I'm pretty sure I've got them again. I'm so upset/embarassed/frustrated. I'm going to go to the doctor's for another prescription but I know the only way I can 100% eradicate them is by telling my family. I'm 90% certain I got the infection from my 12 year old brother as he has absolutely terrible hygeine. He never washes his hands after he goes to the toilet and then touches door knobs and other things around the house. I've already told my dad about how uncomfortable I am with this but nothing has changed. There is no way on Earth I am admitting to my dad that I have worms. None. What can I do?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

hi there, threadworm is very common but people just do not talk about it. I had it when i was about 10 yrs old had medicine and as far as i know never had again until 2017 age 39 almost 30 years later! I was horrified im certain i caught from my 5 year old, anyway it is very important to treat everyone in the home as is it is easily spread and the cycle could go on if somebody else has it at home. threadworms can go unnoticed in some people so they may not even know they have it. dont be embarressed its just one of those horrible things we can catch like nits.

• Posted

Its possible that everyone in your family is suffering and all too embarrassed to tell one another. There is no shame in telling your Dad. He may be suffering and wondering what to do about it. Bring the subject into the open so that all your family can be treated.

Can you talk to your brother casually and confidentially and bring up the subject of worms and the symptoms of itchiness. He may be grateful for your help if he has this and is also too embarrassed to ask.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.