1st breakout and I'm miserable!

Posted , 39 users are following.

Hi, I'm new here. I'm 46 years old and I've been in a serious relationship for the past 3 years. My boyfriend has oral herpes from an encounter he had years ago. We've always been careful when he has outbreaks, or so we thought. It started with my hemmeroids acting up, so I went with my usual treatment for that. This past weekend, I noticed it was painful to not only to poop, but to pee also. I checked myself out with a mirror and saw a series of red painful bumps along with an open sore right by my urethra. I went to the Dr Monday morning and got tested. I haven't gotten the results yet, but we're pretty sure its herpes. I got a prescription for valcyclovir, which I've now been on since Monday night. I've been in so much pain that I have not been able to work all week. I can't function at work when I am in screaming pain every time I go to the bathroom. Theres nothing topical I can apply to my vagina and I can't exactly walk around work with an ice pack down my pants. Another thing is that I haven't been eating or drinking much, because I know it has to come out. I can't live like this. I want it to go away. I wish I could just numb that whole region of my body. I don't know what to do with myself!!!

0 likes, 44 replies

44 Replies

Next
  • Posted

So sorry you're going through this. We all know too well what it is like. I had 22 sores at one point externally and had sevwre neuropathy on my buttock and back of legs. I got lucky that my recutm never hurt and was just itchy, but I couldn't sit up for two weeks cause my neuropathy was so bad.

Keep in mind that this may not have come from oral sex and he could possibly be an asymptomatic carrier of hsv 1 or 2 on his genitals. Being it is a new infection and yiu didn't indicate if it was a blood test and/or a swab, that if it was a blood test, it will likely come back negative just like mine did. Infection is too new. The swab test is only 50% accurate, in that you have only a small window of being able to collect specimen from the sores, to have enough virus to show up on the rest. I tested 3 months later on my blood test for hsv 2, but I already knew that from my swab.

I hate to tell you this, but there is not a whole lot you can do during your first ob yo help w the pain. The only thing that helped me the most, was taking as many Epsom salt baths as possible. As far as going pee, take a shallow bath just to cover that part and pee. It will help ease the pain. Take 800mlgs of ibprofin every 4hrs, Vaseline on the sores to help w minimizing friction, ice packs at night for sleeping w paper towels wrapped around it.. But I lived in the tub for two weeks no lie.. Don't drink coffee either

• Posted

Thanks for the feedback, feelbroken. I had a swap test/cell sample done. At this point I really just want to go back to work. I can do all that stuff at home, but I need to be able to make it through a day of work. I'm telling everyone I have a bad uti and some sort of virus. Its not like I'm gonna go running into work telling everyone I got herpes. I'm angry that this happened. I'm not mad at my boyfriend. This is something he caught back in his 20s. 
    • Posted

I'd just say you Huey your back lifting, moving, exercising OE something.. Whatever you want to makeup... That's better than a uti.. Cause people are going to wonder how a uti could be that bad if they're ignorant and you also don't need something that personal pit there either.. Stick w pinched nerve
    • Posted

Defintely go with something not vagina related! You don't want the health of your vagina being the topic of discussion. If you are sitting at a personal desk where noone can see between your legs, get those tube like things that you freeze and go in water bottles to keep the drink cold, and put it between your legs at work. Get a few and you can alternate when one gets warm, you have one in the freezer. Be as creative as you have to! Be careful though. I thought it would be better with no hair cause I shave every time my pubic hair pokes my panties, and I cut a bump, and to make it worse, I was still having an outbreak when the hair started to poke back through the skin and was poking the other side and vise versa. It was hell in my vagina! It got better though. You will find your own ways to cope and make it easier and easier for yourself. You are strong, just stay positive!
    • Posted

If I have an ob.. I don't shave for quite awhile . not worth spreading it to other areas..
  • Edited

Hi Ryan85765-

I am just getting over my first OB too. I don't know if I would have made it this far without the help of the people on this site. It was excrutiating!

Some other things that helped me was to use Abreva cream twice a day on my sores. And I kept the area as dry as I could when I wasn't in an Epsom Salts bath. I researched a diet online low in Arginine and started taking Lysine, Vitamin B3 complex, and Propolis immediately. I am still on the couch trying to heal as as I type this, but it seemed as if I was never going to be able to Pee again. I finally found holding myself open to go helped keep the flow away from the worst sores. Once I started healing it came fast. Two days ago I was in misery. Today I can wear underwear. It's the small things.... I'm extremely happy I can wear underwear! Hang in there. It will turn the corner soon.

• Edited

I just finished with my first OB too and I am BEYOND relieved because it was hell! I wasn't about to go to work either. I was out for a week and a half. I told everyone I had a pulled groin and a skin infection.

I wonder if hemmoroids are linked to HSV2 bc I noticed I had a hemmoroid for a while but have not been able to get rid of it. It was extremely painful for me to pee and poo too. I also avoided food and drinking anything but you have to drink water and plenty of it bc if you don't drink anything you'll become dehydrated and you could also get an UTI which my nurse said would make it even worse so drink plenty of water even though it will hurt but it'll also dilute all the ammonia. Pee in the tub if you have to. And as for pooping, I didn't eat too much solid food. I just ate yogurt. It was still painful to poop but I honestly had to bite down on a sock when I had to. It still kinda hurts when I poo but not as nearly as painful during my OB.

Epsom salt baths were my only relief pretty much. I'd soak for about 40 mins sometimes longer 2-3 times a day. I also took my meds acyclovir religiously and I also took Lysine 1000mg 3x a day. I used 100% tea tree oil diluted with virgin Olive oil to put on my sores and that relieved it some. I was given 800mg ibuprofen for pain.

Try to get plenty of rest and remember it'll pass you just have to fight through it. I'm really sorry you have to feel this pain but it will be over with soon. Just take care of yourself the best that you can.

• Posted

when i had my first OB, my doctor gave me the valtrex and i took it religiously, then she also asked me to buy acyclovir cream, and xylocaine gel that i applied on the sores. smile The xylocaine gel( i re applied it minutes before i pee) I suggest, you Ask your doctor first, if you can do this also.
  • Edited

Good news! My OB has cleared up and I returned to work today. I did get my test results back and I do have HSV1. The valcylovir worked well for me, so, my Dr is going to continue to prescribe it for me. Once I finish the 10 days of meds, I only need to take it during breakouts. I'm not thrilled about this, but, its something I can live with. 
    • Posted

Awesome!! I am glad you are feeling better and back at life. Keep your head up!
    • Posted

So I'm still a little confused about HSV 1 and HSV 2. I know HSV 1 is oral and HSV 2 is genital, and there is a possibility of contracting genital and oral sores from both viruses.

My question is since you were diagnosed with HSV 1 is your probability of genital breakouts lower? Or could you still get genital OB with HSV 1?

• Posted

Hsv 1 orally does not guard against getting it on your genitals. Some immunity is provided, but not much.

Hsv 1 does not tend to be as active genitally

• Posted

How long did it take for yours to clear up? I'm on the third day of meds and am in so much pain!
    • Edited

mine took me a a lil over a week with valacyclovir.

i have hsv2 .

and it was my first ob.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.