2 days to go....

Posted , 16 users are following.

Hello everyone. Just wanted to say a huge thank you to all of you, the support and kindness on here is phenomenal.

Any suggestions on GA versus epidural? I am scared of both for different reasons. An preparation in the home for sleeping once i am back. I went to the red cross yesterday to collect the 'aids' which was a low point, but at least I have them now. I have turned my house into a granny quarters. Have hired a car as advised on here, and now trying to stem the sick feeling every time I think of Friday. Did you feel terribly sick? I keep waking up with cold sweats in the night...

1 like, 49 replies

49 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Rose,

I was just the same as you, when I arrived at the hospital I wasn't given a choice it was a spinal block which I understand is a little different to an epidural. I have a needle phobia and started to hyperventerlate so the doctor said let's get this done she's getting ain a state, I didn't feel a thing when they injected me, they then gave me a something to relax me, next thing I was in thetre, I could hear and did stay awake for the whole op but couldn't feel a thing. Next thing I was being wheeled out a man ask if I was OK and would I like a cup of tea. It was so sereal as I had just had a major op and now I'm drinking tea. No sickness, no sore throat, no pain and no exhaustion. I am so proud of myself and I'm sure you will feel the same. It's easy for us to say you will be fine and don't worry but you will, just remember Friday evening it will all be over.

Good luck. Xx

• Posted

Cookie I have a needle phobia too, and am dreading more than anything. With my babies I was able to do the childbirth thing with ease, but could not cope with the needles. 

When you come round what was your pain level like? Out of ten.

I start to shake when I think of the theatre aspect. I am beginning to think I could manage hobbling around like this if only I didn't have to go through with this operation, which is clearly posssible but no way to live. The dread in my stomach is horrible.

• Posted

Hi Rose,

As I said I didn't have to come round I was totally awake with absolutely no pain. As you I also had my daughter without pain relief for exactly the same reason. I no its different for everyone and again like yourself I put off the op and tried everything in the book to not have it but I am so glad I did now (by the way I'm 4 weeks post) you will as I was be scared and panicky but I promise in my experience it was not at all necessary.

Xx

• Posted

How do you feel at 4 weeks cookie? Are you getting there? 
    • Posted

Try not to worry rose. The pain when you come out of theatre is none as you will have morphine or similar. Day 2 can be uncomfortable until they get the pain management right. You just need to get vocal if you are in pain. The rest of the week is uncomfortable as your leg will swell but already you will be feeling the benefit. Do the exercises and take the tablets and get as much rest as poss. Important to lie flat for 2 hours every afternoon tto let blood circulate and bring down swelling.

Week 2 and you feel a lot better. I think day 10 was the break through for me but we are all different. Stay positive and imagine life without hobbling around. You'll be ok and soon will be passing on your advice to other scared hippies

Take care

Kate x

• Posted

I unfortunately had my pelvis fractured during the op so have not been able to progress as quickly as I should but even with that I feel fantastic now and I am right now waiting for my lift for my first physio. I will catch up later and let you know how it went x
    • Posted

Thank you for taking the time to describe it to me Kate, it helps me prepare mentally, and all being well and it is how you describe it to me, I definitely could cope with that, so have a tiny bit more confidence now.

My brother went to a hip club (he is also due to have a THP) and they made it all sound so easy and effortless and he is asking me WHY I am worried, but I haven't had the benefit of this inspirational group meeting so am really in the dark about what to expect at my age.

It will be lovely to be on here next time with it all finished. Thank you so much for your support smile x

• Posted

Gosh cookie that is pretty rough, how did that happen? And you are so bave about it too, how did your physio go today? I hope you are feeling much better nowx
  • Posted

Hi rose

I had an epidural 3 months ago and although no pain I got into a real panic about 15 mins before the end. Going in again in next 2 weeks for hip 2 and will still opt for the epidural but will ask for a sedative this time.

Don't like the after effects of a g.a.

Take care

Kate x

• Posted

Kate, yes I remember your thread about that, and made a mental note to ask for heavy sedation after chatting to you ~ thank you so much for the info. It is so helpful to share these experiences, otherwise how do you know until you are in there! I think I would feel the same in your situation, the operation is quite long to remain completely calm, mindfulness and breathing exercises will only take you so far!
    • Posted

I also took my tablet with a playlist inc bruce Springsteen but he was only good for 30 minutes. Maybe a relaxation tape would have been better :-)
    • Posted

Maybe I should dig out an ipod and load it with relaxation and peaceful music? 
  • Posted

Actually there are 3 types of anesethic not two. I am petrified of GA so was over the moon when they said I would have a 'spinal block' instead I assumed this meant epidural. I have anther condition call PAF which means though my heart is spud and has nothing actually wrong witj it sometimes it goes into over drive becomes very rapid ( between 170-200 beats a min) but I have no symptoms o its of the te I am not away of it, it delaye my THR by 6 months as it was going bananas aty pre-op ME though I had been discharged by the cardio I had to go back and get full reports etc .

When it came to my surgery I thought I was having the epidural , however on the morning ( I was first down as seems to be normal if they have someone witj other conditions) the anethasist came in saying that because your BP drops during THR, the 'spinal block also reduces BP and if I have an episode of PAF which also reduces BP I would be in deep sh&t ( her words), but I could have a epidural and a GA ???

Obviously I queried this saying is a spinal block and epidural not tje se thing and it appears not, seems that epidural is not as deep as a spinal block which I why for this surgery you normally have a GA witj it. I actually opted for just the GA as though it terrifies me I didn't see the point of having both.

They seem to just use the term epidural for us most people know what that is and the both work in a similar way just one is much deeper

• Posted

It is quite confusing isn't it. I am glad you came through so well, are you on the road to recovery now? 
  • Posted

Hi Rose, best wishes for Friday. I was 100% sure I would take the GA until I spoke to the anaesthetist, my daughter ( trainee nurse ) and the great people on here. I opted for the spinal with a light sedation.

In the pre op room the anaesthetist sprayed an ice cold liquid on the bottom of my back first. He then gave me the spinal as I bent slightly forward, I didn't really feel it. After a few minutes I felt a pleasant warm sensation around my hip and leg area eventually feeling numb. I didn't think it was enough but he sprayed the cold spray again and I could hardly feel it. They then helped me onto my side in the foetal position and told me they would give me ' the champagne ' (sedation). The next I remember is waking in the recovery room and was back in my bed within 1/2 hour. I didn't feel groggy, sore or achy. The anaesthetist did say it has a better recovery rate and he was right. An hour later I had visitors and they couldn't believe how well I looked.

If it were me again I would opt for the spinal every time. Good luck in whatever decision you make. You will be fine and it will be the start of your new pain free life.

Best wishes 

Mark

• Posted

Mark thank you for walking me through, actually I feel a LOT better after reading your message. Now I know roughly what to expect I don't feel so worried. I can do that I am sure! I would love to feel as well as that, so really pray that mine goes as well as yours. Thank you so much for your message. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.