2 days to go....

Posted , 16 users are following.

Hello everyone. Just wanted to say a huge thank you to all of you, the support and kindness on here is phenomenal.

Any suggestions on GA versus epidural? I am scared of both for different reasons. An preparation in the home for sleeping once i am back. I went to the red cross yesterday to collect the 'aids' which was a low point, but at least I have them now. I have turned my house into a granny quarters. Have hired a car as advised on here, and now trying to stem the sick feeling every time I think of Friday. Did you feel terribly sick? I keep waking up with cold sweats in the night...

1 like, 49 replies

49 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Rose,

Warm hugs to you and your family.

Do try not to worry because it will all be fine. Let the professionals take care of you. They are well used to scared patients (like me).

This op will be a turning point for you and your family. You will come out of it stronger and fitter than ever. 

Best wishes,

shirley

• Posted

It is definitely a turning point. I am really hoping to return to full fitness soon. I am everything but at the moment, and can not wait to walk my dogs again!
  • Posted

Hi Rose

The surgery has come around so soon! I think the worst is the anxiety of waiting, not knowing what would happen in my happen. Once I was in there I was on a path and the competent staff told me what to do next. I was able to surrender to them. And the pain afterwards, though it hurt, was not nearly as bad as the anxiety.

For the spinal anaesthetist sat me bent over on the side of the bed. The needle is very thin, not much thicker than a hair and this is one of the differences between an epidural and a spinal. It's more like an acupuncture needle. Because the needle is so thin I didn't really feel it go in. Then they laid me down and gave me sedation. I opted for heavy sedation because I didn't want to hear or be aware of anything. Next thing I was in recovery and being transferred to the ward! I had no pain the first night.

The second day was painful but I asked a nurse what was the maximum amount of pain killers I could have and realised I could ask for a lot more. After that it was pretty plain sailing.

I found the week before leading up to the unknown was so much worse than the actual event. I'm sure you'll be relieved by Saturday and looking forward to being in Switzerland with the girls. What a lovely picture!

Please let us know how you go.

We'll be thinking of you

Keena

• Posted

I did everything one could think of to prepare for this surgery. Researched everything. I did a spinal, because last time I had a general my throat hurt so bad for over a week and I was so groggy for days. The spinal isn't bad, you just don't have any movement for a couple of hours afterwards. Which was no big deal, since I wasn't going anywhere!

The one thing you can't prepare for is day 5, I h

heard about day 5-8 can be difficult. That's an understatement! I wish I had prepared in my mind how bad it was going to be, so when it happened, maybe it wouldn't have been so bad. Everyone is different though, maybe it won't be as bad for you. You will get through this, but it won't happen overnight!! Will pray for you.

• Posted

Carla please tell me what happened on day 5-8? I could really do with knowing what to expect....abit like day 3 after a baby when your milk arrives and your emotions are tipped upside down, it is good to know in advance. 

I think the preparation only takes you so far! The rest is down to the luck of the gods, sheer detemination and possibly courage you didn't know you had. 

Would be happy to just get home at this stage, but have no idea what awaits...am looking at my stairs and wondering how on earth I will make it up them??

So hope you are better place now Carla. How long ago was your op? Big hugs, it sounds like the worst is over for you (I hope so) xxx

• Posted

dear Rose -

okay, there will be some things you can not really be prepared for - one of them is the emotional roller coaster and that too is very individual - the exprience you had with day 3 after delivery you can use - 

I am not sure what Carla is referring to re: day 5-8 ... maybe it is the emotional part - 

I had General Aneasthesia and had no problems what so ever ... no numbness, or drain or even sickness and would chose it again over spinal - my personal choice - 

I know you will do great - I already see a big change in you, sweetheart ..

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

My hip and thigh was pumped full of novicane and the dr said it was going to get worse before it gets better (after the novicane wore off) oh my goodness, he was right!! I woke up on day 5 and could barely move or walk. Never felt so much pain. Maybe not every Dr uses novicane, so not everyone has that experience. But it did only last a day, which I was thankful for!!!
    • Posted

oh Carla,  I am so sorry .. that must have felt awful ... like when you had novocaine when a tooth is pulled and then the novocaine wears off but then so much worse, I imagine ...

I know that pain  medication was injected in the wound after surgery (not sure if this is the right description) and yes, my surgeon told me that  on day 2, the day after surgery, I will experience some wound pain.  And I did ... Just didn't know that it could take 5-8 days to wear off -

was it injected after surgery ?  apologies for my ignorance -

warm hug

renee

• Posted

Had a epidural with a sedation gas which only puts you to sleep as if you are a sleep in your bed at home only advice I would give ask for some morphine after a couple of hours after op as when I came out of theatre I was ringing all my family saying it was the easiest thing ever never felt a thing after a few hours the epidural wore off and the pain started had some morphine and all good was home on the 3rd day and seem to be getting better and better hope it goes this well for you like your self was very worried no looking back thinking what I was worried about

Good luck

• Posted

Thank you Alhajasif for your message! That sounds great, and I will be sure to ask for everything going! Thanks for the heads up re morphine. I hope your recovery continues and you are feeling well ~ 

• Posted

Thanks and good luck I'm glad I found this site really helped lots of love to all of you!!!
  • Posted

Hi rose, I would go for the epidural every time both my knees were "done", 8 years ago my right hip just over 3weeks ago all with epidural + a sedative I didn,t feel or hear a thing and was back in my room half an hour after the op. I did feel sick after the epidural wore off but this was down to the morphine they gave me. I know it's easy to say Don,t be scared it's a normal reaction but I,m sure you will be fine, just think of the pain free days to look forward to in the future. Good luck with your op hope all goes well x susybobs

• Posted

I will look forward to getting in my car without howling in pain and embarassing my children! Thank you for your message, I am definitely going to choose the epidural and sedative if I have the choice (I may not)

If all I feel is sick then I can definitely live with that! Thank you so much for your message Suzy ~ I hope your own recovery is going well?

• Posted

Thankyou you rose keep in touch on this wonderful site,it's so informative &friendly x susy
  • Posted

Hi Rose,,I had my right hip done in March with epidural and maximum sedation. Heard, saw and felt nothing at all.  Was still frozen for a couple of hours after operation and then on pain killers and blood thinner.  Also a compression pump "stocking" on operated leg.  They kept that on for a couple of days.  I go 3 weeks from today for the second hip and wonder why I have such anxiety after the good experience last time.  I guess I am worried that something will go wrong this time.  It will be good to get both operations over in the same year and as a treat will go at the 6 month point (May) for 2 weeks at an all inclusive resort in Cuba.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.