2 month long headache and b12 deficiency - driving me insane

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi,

I'm 19 and my constant tension headaches started around 2 months ago now. Sometimes it's just pressure and most of the time it is both pain and pressure around the whole of my head. I also get stabbing pains in random areas. My neck also hurts sometimes and feels like the nerves in my back, neck and head are almost being tickled?! I had some blood tests a few weeks ago and it revealed I have a b12 deficieny. My thyroid was also right on the borderline of being low but must not be something they're overly worried about since the doc didn't mention anything else about it apart from it might be making me even more anemic. I've had 5 b12 injections over 2 weeks and for a few days my headaches did for the most part FINALLY stop. However, I kept feeling a niggling at the back of my head that they were going to start again and sure enough they have. Every time I go to the doctors they just put it down to my anxiety and I honestly don't know what to do anymore. I'm obviously worried it's something more serious, or maybe I need more b12 injections or maybe I'm just a medical freak I don't know. But it's affecting my life - I keep having time off work and often have to cancel plans with friends because my head is so bad and I'm so tired. Anyone else in the same boat??

3 likes, 46 replies

46 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hey guys, I've been having a pretty sh*t time recently. Headaches have been worse and I've been ill because someone infected me with this coughing virus thing. My anxiety has been through the roof as well and I have my blood test on Monday and MRI on Tuesday which is both re assuring and scaring me. Do any of you have any tips on how to stay positive and not worry so much?? I've tried so much but I can't stop panicking that I have a tumour or I'm going to have an aneurism whenever I have a particularly bad pain etc. sad I know my anxiety is probably making all my symptoms worse but I can't seem to control it as well at the moment. Any help would be much appreciated x

• Posted

Hi Milliemaria,

Try doing something which interest you or have activities with your friends. 

Your anxiety might be magnifying the headaches. Try to do some light exercises too like swimming if possible.

• Posted

Hi guys, sorry I've been gone for a while. I wanted to wait until my results were back to make an update. Got the MRI results back today and it was all clear! Which is a great relief. I also got my blood test results back the other day and it turns out I have a vitamin D deficiency as well as my B12. Apparently your levels are supposed to be 50+, 30-50 to be deficient and mine were 15.5. So I've got some stronger dose pills for that to take twice a week for 7 weeks and then some other pills to take every day after that for the rest of my life the doc said. I have another blood test for near the end of February to check my B12 levels again and something else I can't remember. I'm wondering if they've tested my B3 at all. I suppose they would have if they found my b12 was low. I was reading how a b3 deficiency can cause you to have chronic headaches and dizziness and a range of other symtoms like sore gums that I have, so will ask when I have my next blood test. Hope you're all holding up okay smile

• Posted

That's wonderful new Milliemaria!  Now you can at least stop worrying you have something more serious.  You can also get on with your life better now as well.

So, good luck Milliemaria always here to chat and catch up.

Take care and best wishes

• Posted

Finally! Its good to hear that.

Didnt we already tell you not to worry. haha

• Posted

Yeeaaahhhh sorry about that, I think everyone at home is just glad I've shut up about it now as well haha

• Posted

You shouldnt think like that Miliemaria!  Your family care about you and knew you have been suffering, we care to which is why we kept saying let us know how you get on.  Its good to hear now you know at least nothing seriously wrong and things should improve for you now.

Take care and very best wishes.  Always here to chat

• Posted

Hello Milliemaria,

Just getting in touch to see how you are getting on?  Give me an update please.

Take care and best wishes

• Posted

Hi Milliemaria 😃 Just wondering if you ever got more specific findings about your illness. I wanted to write to say that it really sounds like either Chiari Malformation and/or possibly Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome. I have both (Chiari is because of EDS in my case) and the headaches are pressure/tension headaches and dizziness/balance issues are common; as are B12 and Vitamin D deficiencies. We're also very prone to low ferritin which isn't usually tested in CBC (complete blood count) bloodwork.

Do you seem to be more flexible than those around you? Or is your family (siblings and one parent) known to be more flexible than the typical person? Is your skin very, very soft (like your hands) without even using creams? If you pinch the skin on top of your hand, is it thin and easy to roll between your fingers? There are 3 types of EDS which are the mist common (with the "hypermobile type" being the most common by far) so there are many different signs one could have but these are quite common. EDS can also lead to Chiari Malformation or the same type of headaches from droopy, cerebro-spinal fluid fulled cisterns in the brain. Diamox can help a lot, as can Topamax so there is help. EDS is incredibly common in the UK or in those with ancestors from there.

Anyways, I highly doubt anyone will read this now and I really hope that means that your headaches have cleared up Milliemaria. If you would like more info about EDS or Chiari Malformation, please, don't hesitate to reply and I'll help you as much as I can. Happy Holidays!

Dani

• Posted

Hi

Did you ever get this resolved - I’m currently on day 33 of a constant pressure headache thus any advice is welcome !

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.