2 month long headache and b12 deficiency - driving me insane

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi,

I'm 19 and my constant tension headaches started around 2 months ago now. Sometimes it's just pressure and most of the time it is both pain and pressure around the whole of my head. I also get stabbing pains in random areas. My neck also hurts sometimes and feels like the nerves in my back, neck and head are almost being tickled?! I had some blood tests a few weeks ago and it revealed I have a b12 deficieny. My thyroid was also right on the borderline of being low but must not be something they're overly worried about since the doc didn't mention anything else about it apart from it might be making me even more anemic. I've had 5 b12 injections over 2 weeks and for a few days my headaches did for the most part FINALLY stop. However, I kept feeling a niggling at the back of my head that they were going to start again and sure enough they have. Every time I go to the doctors they just put it down to my anxiety and I honestly don't know what to do anymore. I'm obviously worried it's something more serious, or maybe I need more b12 injections or maybe I'm just a medical freak I don't know. But it's affecting my life - I keep having time off work and often have to cancel plans with friends because my head is so bad and I'm so tired. Anyone else in the same boat??

3 likes, 46 replies

46 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi, just keeping you updated. Things are pretty much the same. Went back to my old doctors today though and I've finally been referred for a head scan and another blood test in 2 weeks. The doctor said she really doesn't think it's a tumour or anything serious but it's good to get one to rule out the possibility and stop the cycle of anxiety I've been getting. Also, been to the chiropractor and apparently have slight scoliosis of the spine, probably due to my injury as a child, which is making my neck ache as well as my back and they said could be contributing if not maybe causing my headaches. So things are looking slightly more hopeful but obviously I still have that nagging fear that it is a tumour in the forefront of my mind that won't go away until I know for sure. But fingers crossed life gets better soon. Hope you're all doing okay! Hang on in there x

• Posted

Hi Milliemaria,

Thanks for the update.

Good news they finally sending for scan, so this will be able to tell you if anything sinister going on.  I am sure life will get better soon after your scan.

What did the chiropractor say could be done about your spinal issues?  This would be a major contributor to headaches for sure

Yes we will all hang on in there together and keep our fingers crossed for you.

Do let us know how you get on and I will be looking forward to hearing that your anxiety has gone now since the scan.

The very best wishes Milliemaria and I will be looking out for your next post.

Take care and trully hope we ALL have a happy new year.

• Posted

The chiro just said it was part of me and they can't really do much about it in terms of fixing it. But I have very tense and knotted muscles in my back and neck which she is helping with massages and acupuncture atm. She also made a start on my lower back today because it's been causing me a lot of pain the last couple days again. But it was very sore to touch so she only did some compressions and stretches. Over the next few sessions she is going to work more on it though. When I first went a couple weeks ago she took one look she said "you are a very interesting case" and that I "have a lot going on there" 😂 But I think it must be somewhat linked to my back because after each session my headache is relieved a lot, if only for a few minutes. But I'll take what I can get! I'm just looking forward to finally getting this scan done. Thanks so much for all the support and I dearly hope everything gets better for us all soon!

• Posted

sounds like the chiropractor can do a lot to help you.  loosening the muscles will make a lot of difference.  Yes the scan I know is what you are waiting for.  Any idea how long you have to wait?  Keep in touch Milliemaria let us know how the session go.  I am sure you will feel more and more relaxed.  It will get better I am confident of that.  Support is always available,  Take care and best wishes
    • Posted

The doc said about 2-4 weeks to wait for the scan. And I'm having blood tests done in 2 weeks as well to check my thyroid and other stuff again. Yeah the sessions really do help me to relax. I'm so glad I finally went to the chiropractor, I've been meaning to go for years! Thanks so much, I'll keep you updated. Best wishes to you as well smile

• Posted

Thank you Milliemaria.  Its good to have this site to message others going through similar things.  Not too long to wait for the scan, thats good.

Finally they are starting to do tests for you!  We shouldnt have to nag them, but trust me its usually the way to get some action.  Anytime you want to send a message, even if you are feeling low, just do it, I at least will respond.

All the best

• Posted

Defiantly! And thanks so much. Same to you to, ever need to message, I'll reply smile

• Posted

Always good to know, thanks :-)  Happy New year, I guess like me with so many meds you cant even have anything alcoholic!  I have to be careful also about my sleep pattern, if I stay up too late, I suffer badly the next day, but I guess always someone worse off thats what I say
  • Posted

Hi, how are you feeling now?
    • Posted

Happy new year! I'm having good days and bad days. I had nearly a whole day without a headache a few days ago which was amazing. But other than that nothing much has changed. Still the same symptoms. I feel like my dizziness and ear ringing may be getting worse though. And my costonchondritis keeps playing up. I'm having a brain scan soon though and blood tests again so hopefully will get to the bottom of it soon. I'm just trying not to freak myself out about it being a tumour rolleyes how are you feeling??

• Posted

Good to hear you had almost a day headache free. I am having good and bad days too but I'm noticing more tinnitus at times recently.

Let us know how your scan was and all the best to you! Don't worry about the brain tumor as it's highly likely you don't have one.

• Posted

Hi Milliemaria,

Interesting you mention ear ringing as I get that too.  I have just gone through ear grommit surgery and then removal to try and deal with blocked eustachien tubes, now my ear ringing has got worse!  Didnt think of a connection with my headaches though.  For my costochodritis I have been prescribed Ketoprofen as my dr said I was taking enough tablets already, it has eased it I must say.

Really hope you get on ok with your tests Milliemaria, and you can then relax that nothing serious is wrong.

Take care

• Posted

Yeah it's weird we've got really similar symptoms! Hope you feel better soon and I will keep you updated smile

• Posted

Ah it's weird we all have pretty similar symptoms! Yeah I can deal the costonchondritis because it eventually goes away and I've always been able to cope with any pain, even when my back goes completely but I've never been good with headaches unfortunately. Thank you! I hope so too

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.