2 mos post op right total knee replacement

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am 2 mos post op a total knee replacement. doing great !! my knee can bend all the way , but still is slightly swollen and numb from the nerve block. told all this can last for a year ! I do have some platellar noise , but no pain . I am stiff in the AM , stiff is sit too long or drive a long time . But I did the physical therapy from day one and still do excercises . this I think is the best !! ambulating free of walker and cane for 1 month now !!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Literally EVERYTHING you are saying is totally normal.  Yes, a full recovery usually takes a year.  People report feeling more like "their old selves" in the 9-10 month range and throw a one-year anniversary party.  Although it's not a linear recovery...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/the-reality-of-a-tkr-recovery-in-one-picture-626038

...you can truly measure how much better you become on a month to month basis.  All very common.  Some minor symptoms like some tightness, clunking sounds, etc. can last 12-18 months.  The numb area around the incision will likely reduce in size over time but I don't think it will ever completely go away.  You can also expect some nerve tingling when you kneel on it.  AVOID HARD SURFACES!!!!  You can't hurt the knee but the nerve sensation is unpleasant.  At almost 22 months p/o, I use 4" foam pads indoors and padded tactical knee pads for outside work.  "Old timers" say this reduces eventually...I don't believe it.  Small price to pay...

• Posted

yep all very normal...thank you !! My doc said no kneeling for a year ! I already have the foam from when I was bone on bone. thanks for letting me know that too and telling about the noise and the tingling . all very nice of you !!
  • Posted

You are blessed! We are all different!! But my opinion is that one must not have surgery unless you are in top notch health! Our bodies don't like surgery!

See o happy for you!!!

• Posted

I am 66 years old . I had the surgery 2 mos ago at age 65. I guess I am in pretty good health . I have hypertension ( high blood pressure ) high cholesterol , anxiety since age 40 , GERD ( reflux ) and I retired after 40 years as being a bedside , staff nurse . Take my medications regularly . No , as humans , it is a blow to your body and psyche to have surgery , any kind . even a simple filling . In my case, I did the physical therapy as ordered and followed all orders from the doc. I feel that after 2 mos I am doing well, and yes blessed ! I am very independent , always have been , and going in to the surgery , I told myself to keep my chin up. Maybe too , that is just me and luckily I faced no problems . sometimes it is a mental process that keeps one going !

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.