2 TKR 10 yrs later

Posted , 3 users are following.

I listen to a Prolotherapy MD every weekend on the radio and heard him today and the people who call in with their joint issues and some other issues often....

All his work is with joint regeneration:  works to save people from surgeries...and tries to HELP those who already did the surgeries including replacements.....

A 74 yr old man called in and said he had both knees replaced at the same time 10 yrs ago and no pain but major stiffness after all these years...I'm beginning to realize this is the NORM,,,left with stiffness...

The doc then said he gets patients in his office with hardly any "bend"...after the replacements.

Now, I'm wondering do any of you consider collagen replacement supplements or silica for the stiffness or would NOTHING help after all the  foreign parts are in the knees.

Or injections of WD40 to loosen things up!!!!!

I'm gonna keep bending, take my supplements including collagen and still consider the Prolozone injection(s) to save my original parts...

The hip replacement outcome was ENOUGH to last me a lifetime.....J 

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Joy

im actually awaiting a tkr in Jan but found your post very interesting love the wd40 part ha ha can I ask what supplements you take please and did you take them pre op as well? Not a great bend seems to be very much the norm with what im reading kinda hoping I dont struggle with it too.Speak soon Tina x

• Posted

Tina, I have a real problem OA knee and I'm 76 but it bends good but creeks a lot since I was 57 this is called crepitus...I hear most docs call it bone on bone....that deadly bone on bone dx....as long as  one can bend, there is cartlidge there....

I'vre taken supps off and on for many years but ramped them up since the narley hip replacement which made my knee even worse....body out of alignment.

So daily I take

1440mg Turmeric

1500mg glucosamine, there are two forms and I take both

ligament/tendon supp

systemic enzymes

digestive enzymes

I use topicals 3-4 times daily and wear a knee support

I have not tried the wd40 but you can find info online about this but I just don't know if a human should use it.

Personally I know probably 3 people who have knee replacements....a cousin back East in the US here has every joint replaced, she started these when she hit 65 when medicare kicked in for her....she's 80something.

I live in so calif so much warmer year round, so that probably helps me a lot.  I have access to alternatives too to help save myself from surgery:  Prolotherapy and Prolozone (the less costly one) which is oxygen based and vitamins injected into joints.

Stiffness seems to be the chronic side effect but I can't say as I've not done a knee job and doing all I can to not....I deal with OA and FM and surgery is a trauma no matter what and dealing with FM too only causes more stress to the nervous system.     If I think of more I'll add...

I take 4 ibuprofen per day and pain rx tablets in between and I get thru my day, good thing I'm old and had a long full life....I have no great desires to set the world on fire anymore....  I still peddle my recumbent bike and know it helps the knee as I can walk better after I peddle.  J  

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the product name as we do not allow repeated posting of product names in the forums. If users wish to exchange details please use the Private Message service .

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

Tina, I'm sorry if my comments don't get printed, I spent time giving you info and then get moderated.....why I try to help and then get moderated??????    Don't have energy to keep this up....J 
    • Posted

Emis:  thanks for posting my info....it takes energy to try to help others and then to have it deleted....I seem to see a lot of drug names posted but not supps!!!????

Anyway, for Tina too, I also trust that the deglycerrized licorice (dgl) protects my stomach lining due to pain meds....  we need all the help we can give ourselves and it's taken me a lot of time and research to get to where I am today..... 

• Posted

Hi Joy , Aw I dont know why they would do that perhaps its my fault asking what you take but surely its all to help each other and we all know to check what we take firstly ourselves im quite new to the forums so havent seen this before do they just not print your post and do they tell you why its being checked?I find it takes ages to type and post things so if they were not all posted I can see how frustrating this would be .Thank you for taking the time to answer me hopefully your post will apoear soon smile Thanks again Tina x

• Posted

Hi Joy , Aw I dont know why they would do that perhaps its my fault asking what you take but surely its all to help each other and we all know to check what we take firstly ourselves im quite new to the forums so havent seen this before do they just not print your post and do they tell you why its being checked?I find it takes ages to type and post things so if they were not all posted I can see how frustrating this would be .Thank you for taking the time to answer me hopefully your post will apoear soon smile Thanks again Tina x

Just wondering if you posted me alink and thats why they moderated it thank you for trying to help anyway x

• Posted

No I didn't post a link as I found that out early on when I joined.....so many odd rules than other boards I've been a member of.

What I seem to observe, drugs can be talked about without issues but supps,,,,good grief.....We have a lot of good info on the Alternative Group here......

I have heard from some folks in the UK that supps are just catching on...don't know how long they are catching on.    J

• Posted

Hi Joy it is strange then I do hope they tell people why their post has been pulled so we know the reason too . Where abouts are you living ?I'm in England and we dont seem to use a lot of supplements in pain problems I dont think, I have tried a few and have taken some regularly over the years to me anything that is better for you than a drug is the way to go its just finding out the right ones for you I guess and that is through advice from others .Think the wd40 must be known world wide ha xx Tina x
    • Posted

Tina, I'm in the US and we use a lot of supplements here...could be due to the fact that we don't have govt health insurance for ALL so people work on their own healing as much as they can and pay for their helpers....I do for sure as do my friends for the most part....I have friend too who are very into conventional medicine and talked about some of the damage done to them....I've had my share years ago as has my daughter, trusted her doc and got really "hurt" with the drugs he was giving her....she is more awake to this world now, but deals with health issues done by the drugs....loss of hearing for one big one....I could scream about this issue....

Later, I will send you a private note on what I take for my joints, need to ice and heat my joints now....haven't done it yet and it's 1PM...

Some one said here the UK is slowly catching up on the supp world but I guess for many it's a hard thing to do, change minds.....J  

• Posted

Hi Joy, Your so right that for many change isnt welcome but I believe we all have to embrace change and learn about other ways not just the ones we get told are for the best were all individual and need to try other ways. I look forwards to recieving your message and advice I will certainly read into it what I can do to help myself .Sorry about your daughter she sounds like she's had a terrible ordeal especially the hearing loss we just take doctors word for it when they tell us something is safe sadly . Well its bonfire night in the uk so my poor dog is frightened to death of all the banging fireworks time to cuddle him up for the night need to let you get some icing and heat too thanks for taking the time to chat to me look forwards to your message when you have time Tina x
  • Posted

Oohh your posts arrived ill just have a read xxx
  • Posted

Hi Joy some very interesting supplements there I do take glucosamine and brufen and wear knee supports find them really helpful.As for the bone on bone thats what I have the noises are horrible especially on the stairs , I havent heard of Tumeric only as a ingredient in food is that a capsules? I certainly think the sun helps too i hate the cold will forever fear ice after my knee has been done scared of falling as it is now .The moderators have explained why your post was held back hope that helps too for the future.i havent heard of the injectikn wonder if we dont use them here? Its really good you use the bike thats prob the best exercise you can get for your knees my physio tells me im not aligned too "poor gait" she called it said that's with the problem with my back/knee's/hips. Nice chatting to you have learnt some new things to try today. TINA X
    • Posted

I take the turmeric capsules and also dump turmeric in my soups that I make....   If you can walk ok even with the crepitus (creeking), mine have creeked for 19 yrs.....why cut up your knee?   Reading these stories here make me cringe more and more....it's a long hard rehab, long and hard.  And then is the knee still stiff for years?   

Consume more oils too:  olive oil and coconut oils are the ones I use mostly....omega 3's too and evening primrose oil....

Oils are vital....

• Posted

Life can sure be full of coincidences...my good friend is having a knee issue and we exchange a LOT of  help for each other and this message just came in from her:

Hi Joy – My knee has been noticeably better, about half  as sore (or maybe even more) as it used to be and I’ve been thinking it was just the new cream I bought.   But I remembered this morning that I’ve been taking the evening primrose oil for maybe 6 weeks or so, am not sure, and my trusty muscle testing says that it’s really helping, as well as the cream.  Several weeks ago I knelt down on my bad knee and yelped, I could not put any weight on it – and now I can, carefully.

So just wanted to let you know, maybe encourage you to keep up with the EPO – I take 2 large softgels a day,

I take EPO and usually 2 softgels too...daily...some days 1 and some days 2..primrose is a omega 6 oil and one needs to keep a balance with omega 3 and 6....I take a good dosing of omega 3's daily....

• Posted

Hi Joy ill look to that I do take cod liver oil capsules my mum always gave us that for our skin nails and hair and I take primrose oil for breast lumps so I guess im half way there .I cant walk very far at all and havent really rarely left the house in two years which in itself gets you down I have always worked since 13 at school and miss it so im kinda hoping this will reduce the pain levels a lot so I can get back into work and have a social life again I did ask my surgeons opinion as I dont want to have it if I can hang on but he thinks I wouldnt even get another six months so if I have it done now im looking forwards to hopefully a better year Tina x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.