2 Weeks After Ankle Surgery

Posted , 7 users are following.

I recently broke my fibia and dislocate my tibia on the 6/5/2017 running during kickball ): On 6/13/2017, I had surgery and they put in 1 plate and 9 pins. After surgery, it hurted a lot and I had to take medicine every few hours. After about 5 days, I stopped taking the meds because it wasn't hurting anymore. I am able to walk around on crutches without much pain. 

Does anyone have a recovery or injury story similar to mine? I really want to know when I will be able to walk again without needing crutches? It is really tough to stay home and sit in one place all the time. Tomorrow is my 2 week check up. I am hoping that I get put into a boot. Is it possible to be PWB within 2 weeks? 

I also have a trip to hawaii at the tail end of August. What are the likely chances that I should be able to walk normally by then?

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi

I broke my fibula and had surgery on 31st May, 1 plate, 6 screws. Haven't had pain medication as I was fine. I am now 13 weeks post surgery and walk in my shoes. 

At 2 weeks appointment, usually the stitches are removed and you will be put in a fibreglass cast or boot for another 4 weeks. Normally PWB starts at 6 weeks post surgery, but depends on your surgeon. I was NWB for the first 6 weeks, PWB in a boot up to week 12 and FWB afterwards. At 12 weeks, when the boot came off, I started walking in my shoes and I walk now well. 

Your recovery depends on how strong you are mentally. I had a wheelchair in the first weeks and used it for cooking, vacuuming, etc. I was very active even in a cast. Eat well, drink lots of water and be strong. The most important thing is to don't rush things. I believe that you will be fine for your holiday in August. You hear so many bad stories about recovery after an ankle surgery. Everybody is different, but you keep a blind eye to those stories, be focused and want to heal. And you will faster than you think now! Good luck with your healing.

Brigitte

• Posted

Fabulous positive advice Bridg, I am 9 weeks post spiral fracture of fibula and pwb now still with crutches.  I am very tiny so the boot has been a burden, bought the evenup for good foot so better although still not balanced!  2 weeks back I had another xray and doctor said it is healing well so I can now sleep without boot and start bearing weight!  I feel like I will never be off the crutches as my balance is bad and my poor injured leg looks so withered and no muscle!  Please give me some positive feedback, I a so down!  
    • Posted

Hi roz, im 12 weeks in and in a boot with PWB and still using this horrid crutches. Have next appt on Friday and hoping for good news about starting to do some walking in shoes. My leg looked awful when i came out of the cast, my calf just seemed to hang there. Ive started physio 2 weeks ago, they havent given my much to do, but even with the small exercises given, which i do about 4 times a day, have now started to make a big difference to my calf muscel. I too have good and bad days where im down on some and better on others. long boring haul. and cant wait to get out and about.....and drive!!!  good luck with your recovery. sx
    • Posted

Hi! In just a few more weeks you'll get rid of your boot and start walking. When my surgeon said, a week ago at my 12 weeks appointment, to go home and start walking in my shoes I thought the guy was crazy. Came home, put my shoes on and walked with crutches.... very badly. The next morning walked with crutches better and by the evening walked unaided. Muscles have memory and it is easier than you think now. Start doing leg raises in bed to work your muscles. Also knee raises whilst you sit on a chair. And don't worry about the balance. It will come back when you drop your boot. Good luck with your recovery and remember that there is no competition. Some people walk faster, others need more time. At the end of the day we all get there. However, be the one wants badly to have a normal life!

Brigitte

• Posted

You are a star Bridgitte, thanks so much - my friends really think I have been a big baby so it is lovely to hear your comments and I do not feel so bad!!! I must say is is the worse experience I have ever had and I am such an independent person so has been a struggle!!  Onwards and upwards, I cannot wait to start physio.  Bless you for your positiveness! xxxx
    • Posted

Thanks Sandra, I also cannot wait to get out and about and hope I have not forgotten how to drive!!!!!  Good luck with your recovery too my dear, it has been a long haul for me - been a big baby and really scared to get rid of crutches!  I will get there and looking forward to physio and getting this poor, thin leg ok again!!! Thanks for your comment xxxx
  • Posted

Hey sorry to hear about your ankle. I suffered a trimalleolar fracture of my ankle with a dislocation 2 weeks ago in a co-ed volleyball game. Then had surgery last week so I'm sort of in the same boat as you. I had a plate and 10 screws inserted into my leg/ankle last week. With the type of injuries we had and the amount of hardware that was put in weight bearing is probably not an option anytime soon. Hope your doctor visit goes well tomorrow. I have mine next week. I'm oddly curious to see what my leg looks like and the incision that was made. Stay positive and be patient. Best wishes!

• Posted

When I saw my ankle, I was so shocked. It was more swollen then I originally thought. Hard to tell from a splint. Good luck next week 😊

• Posted

Hi. sorry to here about your accident. Im 12 weeks in having broke my ankle with screws and plates to both sides.  Im now in a boot with only PWB. I have my next appt on Friday where im hoping they tell me I can now start to do some walking in shoes while im home. Physio has told me that i will most probably still have to wear the boot while out and about!!  I was in casts for 8 weeks before the boot, so may be early days for you? But everyone is different. Fingers Xsd for you with your trip. But do know that your not allowed to fly while still wearing a cast. I would suggest letting your consultant know about your trip and he may get you into a boot a little sooner if your healing goes well.  Hope it goes well for you sx
  • Posted

I am very surprised you are allowed to put weight on It already. 2 weeks is very soon as well, I know it's hard to be patient but you don't want things to go wrong and then you end up with more surgery.

• Posted

Hey guys,

I just got back from the doctors and thought I would give an update. They removed the splint today and took out all the stitches. I also got an X-ray done.

My ankle felt pretty weak and I was really scared when they took it out. My ankle felt weak and fragile and it’s still pretty swollen. The doctor says it may look pretty bad but it’s actually healing pretty well.

They put me in a walking boot and the doctor said I can start doing PWB. He also gave me a band to start working out my ankle within the next 3-5 days when my ankle is feeling better. I am going to be in a walking boot for the next 4 weeks and will be going back for another check up 8/2/2017. He says that by then I should be able to start physical therapy and should be ready for Hawaii.

I took the boot off when I got home and trying to take a nap, but it feels really strange. I’m so scared that something might happen to it when I sleep. How do you guys sleep without the boot? I’m scared it might break or something when I sleep.

• Posted

Brilliant news. You may find easier to try elevate during sleep too. Don't be afraid to turn. It won't break. Don't overdo it with PWB. Pain is the measure of how much weight you can put on your injured leg. 

Brigitte

• Posted

Thank you so much for the advice. I haven't even tried PWB yet.. Too scared to at the moment. I might wait a few days before trying. I been lifting my leg up and down when sitting to try to rebuild some muscle. I can't seem to flex my foot outward or inward though as it hurts too much. Was the pain similar for you as well?

• Posted

For me PWB started at 6 weeks post surgery. I haven't been in much pain in my boot

• Posted

Great news. I would just say follow your pain and go over just a little more each time. I too find the ankle exercise where you have to turn ankle onwards and outwards. My brain just won't hook up!!! Lol. Mine aches more some days more than others plus feels more stiff on days. But once I push and do the exercises it helps. Great news about your trip, bet you can't wait. Good luck with it all sx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.