2 Weeks After Ankle Surgery

Posted , 7 users are following.

I recently broke my fibia and dislocate my tibia on the 6/5/2017 running during kickball ): On 6/13/2017, I had surgery and they put in 1 plate and 9 pins. After surgery, it hurted a lot and I had to take medicine every few hours. After about 5 days, I stopped taking the meds because it wasn't hurting anymore. I am able to walk around on crutches without much pain. 

Does anyone have a recovery or injury story similar to mine? I really want to know when I will be able to walk again without needing crutches? It is really tough to stay home and sit in one place all the time. Tomorrow is my 2 week check up. I am hoping that I get put into a boot. Is it possible to be PWB within 2 weeks? 

I also have a trip to hawaii at the tail end of August. What are the likely chances that I should be able to walk normally by then?

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I also felt scared to sleep without the boot so just put a crepe bandage around the break and it is fine!! Much better than sleeping with the boot.  I have to work on walking in my boot without crutches, my hubby does not understand my fear but hopefully after physiotherapy I will get the courage to lose the crutches!  I do not think anyone understands our fear of further damage if they have not gone through the same experience!  My hubby even put on my boot to walk around with it and he was absolutely fine!!!! Makes me sick!!!! Roll on Physiotherapy!!!!
    • Posted

roz. its hard . I felt the same once i was told i could slep without the boot. Felt uneasy as didnt have supoort there. But get easiier i dont even tik about it now. Im ont LWB at the mo, so cant do anything without crutches for support. 12 weekssince my fall. its ok for the hubbies to show us how easy it is to walk in the boot. They havent the fear of tripping/falling and doing damage toan already damaged foot/ankle.so will be easy for them. I.ve had 2 sessions of physio but only lasted for 10mins as cant do much as im not FWB. Have appt tomoz so hoping to be told i can do some walking with shoes. Keep going, we WILL get there.  sx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.