2 weeks of citalopram

Posted , 12 users are following.

3 months ago I was on top of the world, great job, amazing husband, lovely children, new home. 

It hit me like a wall of bricks, it came out of nowhere... now I  am struggling...depression, anxiety.

Been signed off sick for the past 2 months. Started citalopram 2 weeks ago. I feel like it will never end. I  don't know what to do with myself, I want my life back.  😢

0 likes, 49 replies

49 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Liana. I was also very happy with my life. Kids grown up and retired, not a worry in the world, very happy and like you bang. My doctor said that there is no rhyme of reason for it. She put me on Citalopram and I kept thinking these are not working then after about five weeks i started feeling better. From then on life got back to normal. I know the agony you are going through buy you will get better,
    • Posted

Thank you for your post.

I think it is the most horrible thing somebody can experience. 

I'm concerned, desperate and confused.

I don't know what to do with myself.  I think it will never end. Panicked, restless, frightened, worried, exhausted, lack of sleep. Lxx

• Posted

Hi Speroni1

I have 2 weeks of citalopram now, feeling worse. Can you tell me a bit about your journey on citalopram,  please?

How have you felt when you first started? Lxx

• Posted

Welcome to the Forum. I found it last week when I started another episode of acute anxiety and was prescribed Citalopram again. Each time I forget how horrible the side effects can be. Basically a worsening of the symptoms before they get better. Not in everyone but it seems common. Don't ever forget that most people that go through this tend to be strong, lovely people. We just reach a point when our body 'red lines' and kind of goes into shut down to protect us. As everyone says, push on through the first 2-3 weeks of the medication. I have just had my first 'fairly' normal day and I am on day 17 of the meds. Don't be surprised though if there is the odd fall backwards.  Its like having to learn to walk again, we may stumble but very soon you will be up walking and running and wonder what all the fuss was about.  NO one who has not been through this understands. Husbands, wives, family etc.  It is scary for them too as they don't know what to do either. I have had about 7 episodes over the last 20 years and each time I go through it, I have the same feelings that I will never be well again but after a bit of time, I get back to my normal fun, outgoing self, able to work and enjoy my family. Every day can seem like a huge challenge and every day sometimes feels like you just want to give up!! Don't. Do what you can do and congratulate yourself everytime you do something.  When I started I had to write lists like, brush my teeth, have a shower, make a tea. etc. As I achieved each of those I ticked them off and told myself well done. As time goes on, you will start to add things like 'go for a walk', make a phone call etc.  You can see we are all going through the same journey and I cant wait to hear more positive posts in the days to come as you improve. Which will happen !!!!! Take great care. PS  I mentioned it before, a great book called Depression, an illness of the strong' Look it up and get it. It really helps you understand that you are stronger than you think xxx

• Posted

Thank you so much for replying. 

I'm going through a horrible time. 

It seems like will never end.

• Posted

It feels like that yes. I know. Keep re reading all the posts on this forum. There is loads of help and support. Also if u can , do some research on citalopram. U will see the side effects and it helps u understand that this is a normal part of starting these things. I like others took diazepam from my dr. 5mg in the morning. It really does help.  Can u see a different GP ? Insomnia is also a side effect. I went on zopiclone tablets for a while which helped me sleep 7 hours a night. Or try extra strength sleeping tablets from Tesco. Take your citlopram in the mornings which may help sleep. I have just taken mine and I notice still a quickening of my heart rate and thoughts about 30 mins after taking it. This proves to me it is just the side effects. If your dr is not supporting , see a different dr or book in privately with a psychiatrist. You don't have to suffer as much. Diazepam really does help u get through the first couple of weeks if u can get it. Still thinking of you. Well done for getting through another day. U are one step closer to feeling better. Mark x

• Posted

I have been on citalopram for 16 days now, hardly can go through the day.

I can not have 5 minutes of peace.

I'm anxious and depressed. I need help. 

• Posted

We can do this, sounds like we have been on this med for the same amount of time, I started on 10mg for 8 days and the last 7 days went up to 20mg.  I still have horrible morning anxiety every morning and have to push myself to get up and get dressed and get to work all while in a constant panic, then as the day goes by it gets a little better then i'll get anxious again, my emotions go all over the place,  I dont sleep well maybe 2-3 hours sometimes a little more but I do know that these medications do take time because i was on them when I was 21 and took weeks, now 39 didnt think I would need them again but stress happened and here I am.  Some days im so irritable, or feel pain all over, get blurry vison trembles but something has got to give and praying all these side effects go away soon for us.  

• Posted

I would definitely see a different doctor if your struggling that much but you've done 2 weeks &2 days your nearly there, the meds have a lot more to offer you just wait and see, I know you think it won't and alot of what ifs,

Just remember everyone on this forum has been where you are now, it was the worst time of my life having these side effects, much love Chris x

• Posted

Sorry been off line for a while. Week 6 now and starting to feel more human. Still only sleeping 4 hours a night but that seems to be ok now I am not panicking about it. Liana, you are not going mad. Look at all the posts here. You are not alone. You WILL get through this and life will return. Focus on the good hours you will start to have soon and focus on those. Maybe even keep a diary each day as it will help to remember the good hours you have. Stick at it, you are coming through the worst of it now. Good Luck Mark xx
  • Posted

PS, I call myself stand up as when I made a list of things I needed to do when I first went on Cit, THe first thing I wrote on my list was to Standup xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.