2 weeks post op

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi 

Its my first time posting on here and I would like to say how glad I am so many people have taken the time to share their journeys it's so helpful . I'm 2 wks post op after a P&A repair my issue is I've had a look down below and am shocked at how lumpy and ugly it looks. Ihave a small bump with a hole which is bleeding I rang the hospital and they said it's probably from where a stitch has come away and to rest and see what happens over next couple of days also I only have a follow up with surgeon 7 weeks post op this seems along time .. is this all normal ? I don't think they explain recovery expectations enough post op wish I'd looked for advice before the operation. Maybe I've to much time on my hands and over thinkingsmile 

1 like, 55 replies

55 Replies

Next
  • Posted

They don't explain enough! This site was so helpful to me. I had the same looking lumpy and jellylike but apparently that was normal and then I had the all clear so was fine. I didn't have bleeding but just keep an eye on it and ask to go and get checked out if it doesn't improve. Just really take it easy. It's worth it x

• Posted

Thanks smile I was wondering if I'd done the right thing in having the op but realise it's a longer recovery than is told to you . So glad you have recovered well x

• Posted

Hi! I too was shocked at how I looked post op! It does settle in time, I'm now 9 weeks post enterocele and rectocele repair and all looks good down there now 😀. My check up was at 6 weeks but some women don't get a follow up at all! It seems to depend on where you live. Take your time to heal and look after yourself. It is a long road with many obstacles 

• Posted

Thanks I feel so much better to know it's not just me thinking these things and Dr don't prepare you for this at all. Thankfully this forum and support from its users fill in the gaps. X

• Posted

The information on the Genitourinary Prolapse home page under Useful Resources will help you particularly the South Tees information. 7 weeks isn't a long time to wait to see your consultant for a post op check because before then you won't have healed enough for him to assess if the surgery was successful or not. If you went earlier you would probably need a further appointment which would waste your time and take up another appointment. Mine post op was 10 weeks which is really a more sensible time because by then most women have had intercourse and that is a good indicator everything has gone well. Sutures take up to 16 weeks to dissolve, 2 weeks is early for one to dissolve but it depends on the type of suture used. 

• Posted

Thank you for your reply I think I was expecting it would be more like after having an fepisiotomy and tear after my first baby and you were checked by a midwife to see everything was healing ok . And I guess I had higher expectations of the recovery in my mind I was thinking well at least I don't have a baby to care for but after reading everyone experiences it's a bigger surgery than I thought .  Should have maybe asked more questions before . Now though I can relax just be patient for the healing to take as long as it needs biggrin

• Posted

This surgery can be difficult to recover from at times. It takes time in fact longer than a lot if ladies realise. You have to remember it is classed as major surgery and if you think along those lines then it's easier to accept the long recovery time. Rest is so important as is not lifting and if you are careful in the first weeks then the repair will heal well and hopefully last a long time. It's almost 7 years since my surgery and touch wood it's holding well and I intend it to last me a lifetime. 

• Posted

Thank you i tried to imagine if the scar was on the outside it would be easier to rest and not feel a bit of a fraud. I will be taking your advise so thanks again x
  • Posted

I didn't peek early on bc I knew I would be horrified by the swelling etc. after seeing people react that way and post here.   At 6 weeks after my check when I was told sex was allowed (wasn't ready - no chance). I checked my scar inside with my finger and the scar  was huge and thick.   Made me think of Frankenstein, and that was at 6 weeks!!  Rest assured the scar has calmed down now and feels fine, but it really does take a long time for the tissues to heal.

• Posted

Thank you wish I had not looked the mirror is off limits for a while smile I can't even think about sex , but it is a worry to me as this was a big issue for me post op so I'm going to try and relax and stop feeling guilty about not doing things . Can I ask how long you waited before having sex ( no need to answer if you don't want to ) I'm actually dreading it x

• Posted

I know I waited at least 12 weeks as I had read that was how long it takes for the scar tissue to get strong.  I can't remember exactly when it happened (op was last May) , but I would guess about 12-13 weeks.   

• Posted

Thank you everyone for your kind replies over the last couple of days I've taken on board all the advice and feel so much better . I've realised I've been doing too much but gone back to nothing just pottering around and resting. Thanks again xxx

• Posted

I'm pleased you are feeling a bit better and you have solved the clue to successful recovery from this surgery..........rest and more rest. Remember don't overdo things or push yourself, rest as soon as you feel tired.

• Posted

Hi. It's my first time on here, and just had a read through your posts ladies, which has also given me some comfort. I had laparascopic surgery last Thursday to sort possible endo, which was on my bowel again, a couple of adhesions, and a small anterior repair along with a larger posterior repair. I didn't expect the stitches to be so far down! When I first got showered I felt like I'd been sewn up by a butcher, but as I say reading your posts has comforted me. I'm now contemplating whether I may have an infection though. sad hate going to the GP so keep thinking it's just the healing. Apart from that, if only I could find a comfortable way to sit! Hope all you ladies are soldiering on x

• Posted

I know the feeling it's so difficult to discuss this with anyone who hasn't been through this type of op . I don't even mention it to my husband as I don't want to point out the fact my vagina looks like a plate of chopped liver lol but it is getting much better and the swelling is going down .I've used a post natal cushion it's a memory foam ring and so comfortable . It's still very early days for you and just make sure you rest and don't over do things . Seriously no lifting or stretching it will be worth it in the long run . Xx

• Posted

Go to the Genitourinary Prolapse home page where you will find a Pinned Post (Useful Resources) and you will find some good, well researched information there that may help.
    • Posted

Memory foam or ringed cushions aren't advised jane following this surgery because it puts too much pressure on other areas and can cause problems with healing. I know they are comfortable but it's something that will be highlighted on the new information currently being prepared for patients.

• Posted

Thanks things are always changing I've stopped using it now just in first week but glad it's going to put in advisory notes x

• Posted

Thanks Jane 29850, yes I'm being very careful. Just been for a walk too. I had a hysterectomy just over a year ago, so at least I've sort of been here before. Shame I was left with the prolapse after that, but hey, forward and onwards. Hope you're feeling ok today x

• Posted

Thank you matron, I'll have a look. Any information is a great help, especially having so much time on your hands. Much appreciated x

• Posted

Hi do you know if salt baths are ok

? I use Himalayan red salt usually but have only showered so far since op xx

• Posted

It depends on the sutures used and you should have received advice before you were discharged but I know from this forum a lot of ladies aren't receiving the correct advice. The majority of urogynaecologists use the type of suture that having a bath before you are 6 weeks post op can make them soggy and delay healing but if you are able to have a bath salt is perfectly safe. If you desperately want a bath you could always ring the ward and ask their advice or you won't do any harm dissolving the salt in warm water and gently bathe the area with a cloth. Some of the salt will be absorbed but there won't be enough water to cause any problems with the wound. Himalayan salt has excellent healing properties from what I've heard. Hope that helps jane x

• Posted

Thanks for reply I had different advice from physio and the ward I didn't see the dr after the surgery it was the nurse who discharged me and said read the leaflet which said you can have a bath after 3-4 days just didn't mention salt but I've had a quick one and was nice but will Probably stick to showers for now x

• Posted

You'll be fine with baths jane and they can be quite soothing. 

• Posted

Hi just wondered how your healing was going ? Hopefully things have started to settle down for you x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.