2 weeks post op

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi 

Its my first time posting on here and I would like to say how glad I am so many people have taken the time to share their journeys it's so helpful . I'm 2 wks post op after a P&A repair my issue is I've had a look down below and am shocked at how lumpy and ugly it looks. Ihave a small bump with a hole which is bleeding I rang the hospital and they said it's probably from where a stitch has come away and to rest and see what happens over next couple of days also I only have a follow up with surgeon 7 weeks post op this seems along time .. is this all normal ? I don't think they explain recovery expectations enough post op wish I'd looked for advice before the operation. Maybe I've to much time on my hands and over thinkingsmile 

1 like, 55 replies

55 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

hi just wondering if anyone else still had bleeding 3 woks post op ? At the time of the surgery I had a mirena coil inserted to help with heavy periods and I'm not sure if it's that or the surgery causing the bleeding x

• Posted

Morning Jane. I had a little watery blood this morning, and not had anything for a few days. I would imagine a little now and then is to be expected? Are you feeling well otherwise? Hope it's stopped. Otherwise, my stitch pain is easing, I keep getting a fluttering feeling in my stomach (bowel area), and I am aware of feeling inside 'down there' after sitting for a while but I guess that's probably normal. I am trying to keep positive that's it's just the healing process. X

• Posted

Mine is like a light period it's still red blood especially when I've been resting and in the morning when I get up . I get the same feeling inside it's strange and hard to describe as it's not pain as such just a weird sensation internally like a pulling but I feel I'm healing and not worried about infection smile just missing being able to do things especially as it's Easter and everyone is off walking but it's not much longer now . Glad your healing well and keeping positive . I'm going to try a short drive tomorrow as I have a GP appointment not looking forward to it so might have a trial today smile keep up the positive thoughts xx

• Posted

Forgive me for butting in but I understood that we're not supposed to drive until about 6 weeks or when we can stamp hard on the floor without pain or discomfort! This is to check if you can do an emergency stop without causing damage to your repair. Three weeks is a bit early I think but I'm sure others will come on give their opinions. Good luck Poll x rolleyes

• Posted

You are absolutely correct Pollyanna and most insurance companies will not cover drivers in the U.K. A lot of women after this surgery only want to take their children to school and my response is that this can be one of the most dangerous journeys you can do. What if a child runs out into the road and you can't push your foot hard on the brake? The stamping on a hard floor is a test recommended by urogynaecologists but to only attempt around 6 weeks.

• Posted

I'll check with insurance company tomorrow. The leaflet I was given on discharge was vague about when to drive and just said when you feel ready and can control your car in an emergency. It also advices return to week between 2-4 weeks depending on job so will see how recovery goes . Thanks for replys x

• Posted

Hi Matron

I originally went into hospital for what was expected to be an

anterior repair. However, it turned out to be a hysterectomy,

anterior, posterior and unfortunately small injury (1cm) to bowel. I

recovered well from the op whilst in hospital and I am now five weeks post

op. I have built up my walking and and do pelvic floor exercises

as much as poss but still feel a lot of pressure in my abdomen.

Would you consider that this is normal at this stage? My follow

up check is not until June.

Kind regards. 

• Posted

Hello Woodie. You have had a lot of major surgery and I'm amazed you are doing so well. 5 weeks isn't long in terms of recovery from the amount of surgery you've had so well done. Yes you are doing better than I would expect at this stage, you're obviously fit. The pressure you feel is normal because you'll still have some internal swelling and all of your sutures won't have dissolved yet, they can take up to 16 weeks. Still be cautious and don't overdo things, rest as soon as you feel tired but well done x

• Posted

Goo good idea checking with your insurance company and if they say it's ok please be careful, don't undo the good work your surgeon did. You won't have healed very much internally so driving and using the pedals can be painful. Most insurance companies in my experience say it's up to the consultant. Information on discharge is sadly inadequate in many cases which I hope is going to improve 100% providing NHS Trusts accept the new standardised information which will hopefully be published very soon. Just to add returning to work between 2-4 weeks is far too early.

• Posted

You sound like your doing great it must have been a shock to be told you were going in for one op and then waking up having had lots of other procedures thats a lot to come to terms with if you weren't prepared. keep up the good work and take care of yourself xx

• Posted

Just a short trip to garden centre has tired me out so won't be rushing into anything too soon just sit with fit up giving planting instructions I'm becoming quite the forewoman lol. 3 years ago I was diagnosed with an eye condition called Blephrospasm and wasn't able to drive until eye spasms where controlled by Botox and DVLA permission it was over 10 months so I can be patient it's just when you read guidelines it makes you think your not trying hard enough or being wimpy but my body has served me well so far so will trust the signals ... and everyone's wonderful advice thanks again xx

• Posted

My motto has always been "listen to your body" so you are absolutely right to do so and take one step at a time. At this stage of your recovery you will tire very easily and it's normal so don't worry.

• Posted

Thank you for replying so quickly. I first become aware of my prolapse

in 2004 but had no problems until last year after I retired at 67 (with

hindsight perhaps I should have carried on working!!!😏

I was made fully aware by my consultant on signing the consent form

that further procedures 'may' have to be carried out in my best interest. 

I was well taken care of in hospital and had lots of information on discharge. Thank heavens for the NHS.

I had not been doing a lot of exercise in recent times so hopefully it's kick-started me into being more active in the future. For now, as you have

said, I'm taking things steadily....x

• Posted

Hi so sorry for butting in i have some questions and dont no who to ask

I had posterior repair and tubes tied 13 days ago i feel itchy down below n kinda dragging feeling is this normal also my tummy pretty sore too

• Posted

Hello ladies. Firstly I would like to say what an excellent discussion and thank you. I find that some days I feel ok and get a bit confident, and have to remember not to bend and lift, then others can feel tired and uncomfortable, so definitely listen to your body. It will be a massive improvement when the NHS standardise the recovery, as I'm currently using 3 for information, and trying my best to fill in the gaps with common sense! Although it's difficult when so much depends on your recovery. I was given a 2011 information sheet when I had my LAVH and BSO in January 2016, which left me with the prolapses. So my advice is definitely take it steady, it's been a long and tough journey for me, and wouldn't wish it on anyone. Sending hugs to you all, and hope you are comfortable today x

• Posted

Hi i feel the same i feel like i could do normal things its been 13days since post repair and tubes tied but im afraid il undo the work ..is it also normal to feel so exhausted?thanks x
    • Posted

Yes I think it is normal to feel so tired I'm just over 3 was post op and went to the garden centre and was in less than 15 min and had to come home and rest . I'm 49 and entering the menopause so I'm having restless nights and hot flushes as well as this so think it's a bit of a double whammy . I also think we underestimate the extent of the surgery and because it's all tucked away and we and others can't see it we forget what's been done smile thankfully we have these forums to say how we are truly feeling and to get honest advice from people who've had it done. if my hubby asks one more time "So what are your plans for today" grrr lol what can you say smile xxx

• Posted

Omg i know my eldest daughter is nearly 18 and shes like are you gona pull a sicky forever lol (just caz shes doesnt want to do housework)

I think i could live with the pain if everyone in my house understood i may not look sick but i dont feel great

You poor pet take it easy your body has gone through so much i no its hard and boring lol but try rest as much as poss x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.