2 weeks post op after surgery for broken ankle...what to expect

Posted , 15 users are following.

So 2 weeks ago I was carrying my 3 month old and going outside. I stepped on some uneven ground and fell, breaking my ankle in 3 places and also dislocated it. I had surgery the next morning and have had it in a cast since then elevating it always unless I go to the bathroom. However it still aches and I get some shooting pains in the side of my foot. I am only taking Tylenol now and have my first post op appt tomorrow. They'll be taking my cast off and removing my staples and doing xrays. Will i have another cast put on? I'm also terrified it's going to be incredibly painful...anyone have advice?

0 likes, 64 replies

64 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Your story is mine minus the baby. U will either get a new cast or a post op boot. I'm in a post op boot -- still NWB (mom weight bearing ). It acts as a cast. I am four weeks post op. I fell again today! It scares me! I'm sore but icing and took Tylenol. Be careful! I'm sorry you are going through this also.

• Posted

I'm glad you're starting to feel better!

It's been a tough two weeks. And I'm honestly terrified that when they remove the cast tomorrow it's to hurt so bad. I'm more afraid of feeling that pain again that I felt when it happened then anything else.

Did you have the tingling in your foot after?

• Posted

The only pain u will

Have will be the removal of stitches. Yes on tingling, burning, and shooting pains. It subsides in a few days. All normal!

• Posted

Hello Melisa

I'm so sorry about your acident. You shouldn't be getting another cast, if your incision is healed enough. They probably will give you a boot to wear

Be careful with the booth!! it can tear the incision area to reopen back up. That happen to me, I can't

Wear the booth at all, it tears my skin. I'm now in the hosiptal for a month to get treatment for a infection in my incision that reopened and I got an infection ( mrsa) infection. So be real careful with that booth, I think the booth is not made well

For people that have incisions. Because the plastic on it rubs, on the incision. I wish you the best with

Your recovery. Thank you Veronica

• Posted

That's good advice! I'll keep that in mind.

I'm really scared for tomorrow's appt. I'm scared there will be lots of pain and I'm also terrified that they'll tell me there's been no progress or something. That may be a bit irrational though. I've never broken a bone before, let alone this bad. How long until I'm able to walk again? I googled it and that was prob a very bad idea because it just has made me worry that I won't be able to walk again for a year...

• Posted

She's right about the boot running. They put a gauze pad on both sides and wrapped me in an ace bandage. I also ordered an aircast bootsock. With all that it helps. But yes the boot runs and digs .

• Posted

Ten weeks post op. Walking around with a cane still sore lots of burning at times one aleeve during the day helps the gel ones seem to work better. This was fifth surgery May 1st been working this for two years July 26th. First was plates and screws cartilage was shot bone on bone then a fusion then infection with a pick line six weeks ivs at home. Then broke screw and a new plate and different screws now stainless steel I think this time is it. Be very careful with your incision to not get infection best to wear a glove when changing dressing. It will get better hope the baby is ok.
    • Posted

We will be walking soon! My dr said I will start FWB full weight bear aug 16th if all looks good. I had surgery June 23. Those stories are unusually. We will heal normally and do what we r told. We r healthy and never have broken a bone before .
    • Posted

That is scary. I'm terrified of that happening.

Baby is ok. My injury wouldn't have been so bad of i wasn't holding him but I knew I had to hold on to him so he didn't fall put of my arms which meant no breaking my fall or grabbing anything to steady myself unfortunately. But luckily because I did that the baby is fine.

• Posted

Positive thinking right? It's super hard sometimes though. I've read so many horror stories about people taking forever to get bettwr.

I've been taking magnesium and vitamin D supplements and calcium supplements and also bought some daily greens drink to drink daily. Hoping it helps. Plus trying to keep up with my protein intake as well.

• Posted

I would take something stronger like whatever you were given after surgery and/or maybe some Motrin for inflammation about an hour before you go in. I was worried too but I had dissolvable sutures so I too something for nothing a week ago. As for the cast or boot-idk what you'll get, but I got the air cast boot at my appt for that. I do get the pains you speak of and so do many people here. Sharp, hot poker-ish, sudden, burning, random, intermittent, tingling, and so many sensations I've noted. They HURT. Pay attention to them and your incision for changes after your appt. Write things down, and any other questions you have if you want to, and then you can run them all past your dr office for clarification and psychological comfort! You're gonna do great. smile

• Posted

It's so great to have someone who has gone through it before! I'm just scared of pain now. And all the tingling and sharp pokes in my foot and the rushing of blood when I put my leg down is driving me crazy. None of it is a good feeling. And I've found that when I'm sleeping I sometimes try to move my ankle and wake up because of the pain. It's so frustrating. I think I've cried more in the last two weeks than I have in the last two years.

• Posted

Motrin helps with inflammation-some of the swelling you are having. Ice and elevate are your best friends multiple times a day. Too much inflammation can interfere with wound healing so keep that in mind when you are discomforted, your body is talking. I'm wondering if your pain isn't as controlled as it could be. My dr told me the tingling comes from the inflammation and elevating should help some. I ice like, at least 3x a day, never directly on incision but with a towel under. This is such a slow process it frustrates the strongest of people. It will happen though!

• Posted

You absolutely can. The nice thing about the cast is that it's your barrier, since you never want ice on your skins directly. Cooling your cast also helps keep the sweating down! I ice ALL the time. I'm icing right now after waking.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.