2 weeks post op after surgery for broken ankle...what to expect

Posted , 15 users are following.

So 2 weeks ago I was carrying my 3 month old and going outside. I stepped on some uneven ground and fell, breaking my ankle in 3 places and also dislocated it. I had surgery the next morning and have had it in a cast since then elevating it always unless I go to the bathroom. However it still aches and I get some shooting pains in the side of my foot. I am only taking Tylenol now and have my first post op appt tomorrow. They'll be taking my cast off and removing my staples and doing xrays. Will i have another cast put on? I'm also terrified it's going to be incredibly painful...anyone have advice?

0 likes, 64 replies

64 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I had surgery to fuse a joint so I was in a cast for 6 weeks, but I did graduate to the boot. I didn't have any problems with the boot rubbing or digging, but I have a narrow foot and I never put the boot on without socks. If it rubs, try two pair of socks - the thicker athletic kind, not a decorative dress sock.

Good luck. I'm sorry that you hurt your ankle so badly but I know that you're glad the baby wasn't hurt. I fell with my infant grandson one time and it scared the daylights out of me. He wasn't hurt, either, but that was all I could think of when I hit the ground.

• Posted

Thanks for the advice.

I was terrified when we fell but it was him or me and is rather me be hurt then him. Just sucks that it had to be like this. I'm hoping recovery will go by quickly. I'm already pretty frustrated.

• Posted

It is extremely frustrating to lose your mobility, especially with a baby to take care of. At least he's young enough that you don't have to chase him around. If you're like most women you thought he would never get here when you were pregnant and then in the blink of an eye he was three months old. (The same is true when waiting for a grandbaby. My 3rd one is 1 month old.) Recovery will be like that, also. It will seem long when you're in it, but before long the injury will seem like a long time ago. Try to relax and enjoy time sitting with the little one. Good luck at the doctor.

• Posted

Hi

I broke my ankle 6 weeks ago, plate and screws, had cast off at 2 weeks then air boot. Like you I had lots of tingling when I put my foot down, but also it took a very long time to recover when I lay down again with my foot up,which really concerned me. Like most people though the taking off of the plaster was absolutely fine, and not painful,and there is nothing they are going to see progress wise except to check the incision. I asked the dr about the tingling and they put me in an air boot. My excessive tingling and numbness turned out to be the nerves being over sensitive and it settled with massage. This is pretty unusual, and most tingling is just the poor ankle starting to heal. The air boot was great because I could start to get my ankle range of movement working again, and showering is a lot easier because you can take it off. I have just started walking with shoes and 2 crutches, and the physio said I should be off crutches in 3 weeks, so I think I am very lucky, and represent a straightforward recovery, which is what we all hope you have.

I do feel a bit worried that with the twin risks of a small baby, and sudden loss of mobility, you are at risk of post natal depression. Feeling that you have cried more in 2 weeks than you have in 2 years, does sound rather low. Do talk to your dr about  your feelings, as these things are often very difficult to spot yourself.

It should be fine tomorrow and a lot better than you feared!

Best wishes

Janey

• Posted

Thank you so much for all the advice! I'm so happy to hear your recovery is going well!

I have been struggling with post partum depression since the baby was born and have been on medication. However I can feel myself slipping into a deeper depression. My husband has been amazing and is taking good care of me and the kids and the house but then the guilt sets in that I can't do anything. And the frustration is is difficult for me.

I have tingling even when my foot is elevated? Is that normal?

• Posted

Yes it is

I couldn't ice whilst in a cast

The guilt,helplessness and boredom really got me down and I would cry often and still do. They are long days of doing nothing. I am normally véy active bake walk and go to the gym around 5 times a week.

The frustration of nother being able to do anything.

This week finally feel I am starting to get there.

You will too 😀

• Posted

Thanks for the positivity. I find it hard to be optimistic st this time. Although last night I finally slept through the whole night and didn't wake up with pain so I'm quite happy about that. It's been a struggle so far. Hoping for good news today at the appt. I'm so scared, but mostly because I've never been through this before. And I really should have stayed off of Google. That just made me scared and worried.

• Posted

It will be fine take some painkillers before your appt and breath ( I was holding my breath anticipating pain that didn't come )

Let us know how you get on

• Posted

I can't imagine having this injury and a newborn! You Might callThe dr and ask for a higher doseage of your antidepressant .

• Posted

Hi Melissa

Sorry to hear of your fall and glad the baby is ok

I am 9 weeks post surgery

Broke my ankle and fractured it and have a metal plate and screws in

At week 2 they removed my stitches thought it would be horrendous but is not that painful at all waxing hurts more lol

I was put into another back slab cast for 2 weeks and then into a boot at week 4

At my 6 week check up was given the go ahead to start wb and walking again

Easier said than done

I was so scared of putting my foot down and worried my ankle would turn but last weekend at week 8 started physio and am now walking with 1 crutch and have taken a few steps unaided at home

I can also now go up and down stairs without crutches

My foot is still sore and still get swelling but it quickly goes down after elevating

I wish you a speedy recovery too

All the best

• Posted

I wish it was as simple as getting the cast off and able to just walk again.iys frustrating to know that I'll still be somewhat immobile once the cast is off as well.

• Posted

Hey Melissa sorry about your injury. I also broke my ankle in 3 places and dislocated it. I suffered my injury in a volleyball game on 06-12-17 and had surgery on 6-19-17. I was in a splint for 2 weeks and have been in a cast since 07-03-17. In addition to the three fractures and the dislocation I also had a sprained foot and a syndesmotic disruption between my tibia and fibula. So as a result one of the screws I had inserted was a long horizontal screw that has to come out before I can bear weight. I'll find out at my next appointment when that's going to happen but more than likely sometime next month. Pain wise I'm okay as long as I don't overdue it and stay on my crutches too long lol. I do vividly remember having those same shooting pains 2 weeks post op. My foot had to be up at all times or it was just unbearable. I know it's frustrating but elevating is the best thing you can do especially 2 weeks post op. Hope your appointment goes well and wish you the best in your recovery. Take care of that ankle.

• Posted

Thanks! Glad that you're doing better! I never realized what goes into healing a broken bone. I always thought it was casted and then removed and that's it. But this has been a whole new experience.

I keep my leg elevated for the majority of the day. The only time it is down is when I'm going to the bathroom. Pain is getting better daily, but the tingling and shooting pains freak me out a bit. Google has not been my friend through this. It has just scared me more and made me think of worst case scenarios!!!!

• Posted

There's definitely a lot that goes into it especially when you break it in 3 places lol. I knew surgery was in my future when it happened because I saw my foot hanging from my leg so I already knew it was a major injury lol. However I do feel better each day. Pain is about average with some tightness at the back of my ankle from time to time but nothing major. Elevation is the key especially at this stage. I have my leg on about 4 pillows right now and I'm 4 weeks post op. Just try to be patient and stay positive. This is only temporary albeit a long temporary lol.

• Posted

I'm doing my best with being positive. I'm a person who doesn't like the unknown and this is def an unknown experience for me. I keep my leg elevated for the majority of the day-only down to go to the bathroom. Even when I shower I have it elevated. We bought a removable showerhead and a chair so I don't have to keep it down.

Have you found you have a lot of tingling in your foot? The sharp shooting poking pains I get are one thing but I find I have a ton of tingling in my foot even when it's elevated.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.