2 weeks post TKR and in agony.

Posted , 8 users are following.

I had a left TKR 2 weeks ago & cannot believe the awful pain I'm in. The wound bled and wept for longer than usual so only came out of hospital 2 days ago. I am on paracetamol & codeine but pain is constant. How much should I be walking around & how much should I be elevating & icing it? Also, feeling tearful all the time.

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

The worst part of TKR is recovery and I am well aware how much it hurts and it just does not go away. Since your only 2 weeks out keep the walks short maybe 150ft. it all depends on how you feel. If your ok with a short walk great then slowly build up to a longer walk. One thing for sure do not push it to the point your in agony!! When your laying in bed or on the sofa with your legs stretched out ( this is going to hurt be warned ) put a pillow under your ankle. The reason behind this is to allow gravity to help straighten your leg. I am also aware your not going to do it for very long it hurts. If your done with your exercises for the day and you want to relax put some pillows under your calf keep your knee above your heart( this helps with swelling ) As far as icing as long as you need to. I sometimes ice 5 to 6 x a day to me if it was not for pain meds this is the next best thing. Just wanted to let you know so there are no surprises you can expect to be in pain for awhile. it may take 6 months or longer or shorter before it feels better but what you do not want to do is compare yourself to anyone else all of us are different. Hopefully as time passes you will notice the pain gets less with time. the key word is Patience!!!! If you want to feel better about your knee read about mine
    • Posted

Thanks for the advice. I'm sort of getting the impression from many people that the 'you will be able to drive in 6 weeks, play golf' etc as rather too optimistic! I am trying to focus now on day to day.

• Posted

Before you can drive you need to be able to bend your knee 85?? ( I forgot ) only because in the event of an accident your knee has to flexible enough to withstand it. I do not want to rain on you parade and really I hope you achieve your goal on playing golf in less then 2 months but I would not bet money that it going to happen. You have to understand this was a major operation it is going to take time. How much time everyone is different. You are going to have good days as well as really bad ones as well. I can assure you from what I have been thru it took mealmost 6 months before I could walk a half a mile and once I finished I was done for the day. If you push yourself too hard ( speaking from experience your going to be hating life. Be patient as long as you do not develop complications you will get there but not right away.
    • Posted

Out of interest NWF does knee bending apply to an automatic car where you don't use the leg ?, can see strong pain killers affecting reaction though.

• Posted

Sort of with an automatic your worry is getting in and out of the car which is still a pain with a clutch its even worse even more so if its the R knee that had the TKR. My situation is not like yours I have to lift my L leg in and out of the car. I can bend the heck out of it same as my R knee but as far as lifting very hard. When I had my first TKR I asked the same question. No matter how you look at it your knee will be bent inside the car. Once you get passed a certain degree then the at home nurse will allow you to drive. It takes about a month provided you go by the rules.
    • Posted

I goofed L leg you use the clutch not R . Sorry about that.
    • Posted

Just on 4 weeks now and have been a couple of miles down the road, no problem getting in or out as large 4 x 4, and can get seat well back , don't think i would want a long drive for a while.

David

• Posted

I know for me the way it worked once I got home the first week did nothing starting the 2nd week I had 2 nurses one to monitor my blood due to the blood thinners and another nurse/ therapist I had them for 1 month. I made the mistake of telling one of them I had to drive somewhere and I was almost dropped from their care. I know its great once your able to get back in a vehicle again but then you realize you can only tolerate it for so long. 
  • Posted

Kim,  I am 4 weeks today and had the same, partly due to blood thinners. Have a word with your Dr as I think you need stronger pain killers as I have Gabapentin in the day and Tramadol at night. Am having problems doing bending knee exercises as it still seems to bleed and form a crust so seeing my Dr today. I walk 3 times a day and go for a nap with my feet up in the afternoon. In middle of night I am really sore and don't know where to put my leg in bed. Judging by comments on here it will get better, and I can do short walks without my stick now.  Keep smiling if you can  and best of luck with progress.

David

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. I was thinking about contacting my doctor for stronger pain relief but was thinking that I should be able to manage with codeine. I was on Gabapentin in hospital & ibuprofen. I will ring tomorrow morning & ask. Does the tramadol make you feel nauseous?

• Posted

For me Tramadol is good at night and no reaction for me.  You are doing right speaking to Dr, like me knee is sore bending and am wary of opening it up again.

David

• Posted

Thanks..will ask for some tomorrow. Trying to summon up the enthusiasm to do my exercises...it's tricky knowing that you are probably going to have more pain but in the long run I know I must do them Good luck!

• Posted

Kim, Just been to the Dr and she said remove the dressing to let the air in. Large amounts of dried blood, plus a flexi lump growing out like a skin tag, looks full of blood so don't want that broken, but she wants more exercises done.

David

• Posted

Hi. I have been given strict instructions not to remove the dressing to avoid infection. I guess your wound must be healing well...you're a few weeks on. Hopefully you'll be able to flex your knee more without the dressing. Good luck!

• Posted

Geez you guys make me sooooo  jealous. You can take Tramadol and Gabapentin and you can deal with the pain here I am 2years out and I am on Hydrocodone 10 w/atc 325 and a pain patch Buprenorphine 15 MCG/HR patch weekly. and if was not for another knee surgery coming up I would probably be on something stronger.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.