2 weeks post TKR and in agony.

Posted , 8 users are following.

I had a left TKR 2 weeks ago & cannot believe the awful pain I'm in. The wound bled and wept for longer than usual so only came out of hospital 2 days ago. I am on paracetamol & codeine but pain is constant. How much should I be walking around & how much should I be elevating & icing it? Also, feeling tearful all the time.

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

hi kim, after 2 weeks what you are going thru is normal, im 3 months post op, and still feel pain, althogh not as bad, i dont recommend walking around too much, keep up your exercises, but dont over do it, dont over do anything, icing is good, 3or 4 times a day, plus elevation. pacience is the virtue, you will get better as time goes on, my knee feels like concrete, but improving, best of luck. 

peter

• Posted

Thanks Peter. My hubby seems to think "no pain no gain" but I know that that is definitely not the case. I have Addison's disease...take steroid as I don't make adrenaline and am wondering if I reduced my extra dosage too soon. Can't believe the strength of the pain.

• Posted

hi i had knee replacement some 5 weeks ago, i was in so much pain i had to go back into hospital, they started me on mild pain killers which was not helping at all, i am now on garbapentine and shortec and co-codamol 30/500 the pain is bearable now and is getting better everyday, i exercise and ice about 5 times a day which helps, we are all different when it comes to pain, but i found these tabs i am on now are great, hopefully i will be able to go back to work in a few weeks, i am a bus driver and only work 3 hours a day so i am hoping this exercise will help and not make it worse one can only try, hope your pain gets better but please dont put up with the pain there are tabs that will reduce your pain its a matter of trial and error. max
  • Posted

This is still very early days.You could ask doctor for stronger pain relief such as a bottle of oramorph but don't become too reliant on it. Only take it as a last resort.

I presume you will be having some physiotherapy?

Hang in there.

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah xxx

• Posted

Yes will be having some physiotherapy soon. I was prescribed a small bottle of oramorph but am trying to save it for after physiotherapy. Will keep in touch. This forum really helps.
  • Posted

Hi I am so sorry to hear this. I understand how you are feeling completely.

I am now nearly five weeks inyo mine and at two weeks I was in total pain and very tearful.

I think you need to really take your time to rest and to look after yourself. Are you sleeping? Being tearful is how i felt. My doctor explained it was all the drug and no sleep.

Maybe go back. I ended with something that helped me to sleep.

Once you can start doing a few more things for yourself.. Which h you will and hopefully getting some redt you will slowly start to feel a but better.

I am by no means recovered but compared to a few weeks ago i have noticed a difference. This forum has helped enormously. Take care

• Posted

Thank you. No not sleeping properly...a few hours at a time then wide awake for a few hours. It's very encouraging to hear that you're already seeing a big difference between weeks 2-5. Yes...this forum is just what I needed. I wish someone had prepared my family for what to expect after surgery.....so I don't have to keep trying to justify my constant need for rest. Please keep in touch.... glad to hear that you are slowly able to do more. Kim

• Posted

I completely get it about family. I made the mistake of trying to show i could still do small things like put washing on

Prepare dinner. Big mistake. Now I am more able to do a bit more. But really at the beginning which you are at you shouldn't really be doing very much. Apart from your exercise and choosing something nice to watch on tv! Take care x

• Posted

Hi Kim I'm 12 days post op with 2nd tkr .1st one 3 yr ago. My wound is gungy and stinging like hell so I'm taking each day as it comes. I try and do exercises 3 times daily and pottering round house but allowing myself privalage of resting and not pushing myself beyond my limits. There's lots of healing to do inside and out. I followed this rule 3yr ago with other knee and was back at work within the 12 week and can honestly say i don't know the knee is not my own. Take each day as it comes eatvwell with protein and vitamins and don't beat yourself up if you have a couple of "lazy days"there is a light at the end of a long tunnel xx

• Posted

Thanks Linda. Your message is very encouraging. I'm only managing exercises once or twice as knee extremely swollen....using a special compression pack to try to ease the pain & swelling. Taking each day at a time. X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.