2 weeks post vertical laparotomy

Posted , 3 users are following.

Tomorrow I will be two weeks post op so thought it's about time I check in to see how everyone is a to leg you all know that my surgery went really well.

my cyst was aprox 35cm, weighing 10lbs! I had that and my right ovary removed via a vertical laparotomy.  Thankfully the surgeon was able to keep my incision below my belly button, although it is large at 7" which required 23 staples.

Over all I am happy how it went and how my recovery is going. 

1 like, 40 replies

40 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

As long as you are walking about I wouldn't have thought you needed them.  I hated them and when I went for a shower in hospital two days after my op I was a bit naughty and accidentally forgot to put them on again and nobody noticed lol so I only wore mine for 2 1/2 days lol
    • Posted

The nurses where really strict with us. It was ridiculously hot on  our ward so I'd asked my Mum to roll them up a bit on my feet so my toes were poking out, next thing I know I'm getting a lecture from a nurse as she unrolled them back over my toes lol. 
    • Posted

They were strict at mine too. Because if clot risk hence the dAily injection . My hospital discharge you normally and

The injections supposed to last 28

Days

So you carry on doing your own . Pleaded with my doc who said as it

Was benign and I had no other medical conditions I did not have

Two but stressed about wearing the

Stockings for

Two weeks 

Xx

• Posted

I had the daily injections but they didn't give me one the day I went home and they never mentioned anything about socks being worn at home
    • Posted

I hated them stung like hell, I was in for seven nights and had to have them every day. There was a lady who was in overnight and she still had to have the whole course. She said she could not do it to herself and her husband said he could not so they had to arrange. District nurse. Reckon it is a new thing for my health authority. Won't last
    • Posted

Wow you was in a long time wasn't you June, I only stayed 3 nights, wouldn't have minded another night actually cos I had a good natter whilst I was in there and the cleaner who came round each morning was a right laugh and all the nurses were lovely.  I loved the cups of tea too, had loads lol. 
    • Posted

I was meant to be in 5 nights but persuaded my surgeon to allow me home a day earlier. The ward was far too hot and it was becoming unbearable. I wasn't very mobile at the time (couldn't roll onto my side and getting out of bed took nearly 10 minutes) so I was left to sweat whilst lying on a horrible incontinence pad ( that I didn't need).  Unfortunately the nurses were terrible. They took forever to respond to our buzzers and even moved mine out of reach whilst I was still unable to move! 

One day they took over an hour to move a bowl of vomit off one woman's bedside table, they even served us all lunch whilst it was there! 

• Posted

OMG that sounds horrible :-(.  I had no complaints about the nurses at all they were all cheery and I didn't need to use my buzzer except the once when I got out of bed the second day and the nurse washed my back and then left me to wash myself as I wasn't up to a shower.   She told me to buzz her when I was ready and she would help me into a clean nighty but I managed to put it on myself so only needed to buzz her to remove the wash stuff.  This was the first time out of bed cos I still had the drip and catheter
    • Posted

I had quite a lot of adhesions from

Hysterectomy and

Was stuck to bladder and

Bowel. Catheter had to stay in

Four days as was full of blood so just delayed it all.

Then I sparked a temperature so would

Not let me home hence the

Extra time x

• Posted

That is terrible. Must

Say I was looked after extremely well and yet they were under staffed. Hygiene standards were excellent . They always made

Sure your buzzer was within

Reach x

• Posted

Aw you sound like you had a bad time June :-( xxx.  I think mine was pretty straight forward thankfully.   I don't even have to go back to see my consultant like I was told I would, he's discharged me back to my GP again now.  I was surprised I didn't wake up to find a drain as when I had my ovary out years ago I had a drain in when I woke up.  I haven't bled either from my wound or down below, everything seems to be healing great, I've been lucky xxx
    • Posted

June it sounds like you had quite a time of it x Hopefully now on will be a lot easier! I'm pleased with how well the surgery went and how good my recovery is going. As soon as I got out of hospital things started to improve smile  I'm due to go back to see my surgeon at the 8 week mark.

how long do you both expect to be off work? I was told 8 weeks, at least!

• Posted

Hiya

Was only doing part time but not been working for a while as my husband is ill and been having treatment . When I had hysterectomy they said 12 weeks but I went back after 10. Think it can be down to what type if job you do xx

• Posted

Sorry to hear about your husband.

I work in an office but do horrible shifts (5am starts, 1pm finishes, 7 of each in a row) and often work alone. There's not much heavy lifting so that wouldn't been an issue but I'm not keen on rushing back to the tiring shifts. I'm still taking naps but I guess that will lessen over the coming weeks.

• Posted

These ops are big things so you have to let your body tell you how it's coping. I would speak to your gp to see what they say. Perhaps when you go back you could ease yourself back and do part time for first couple weeks xx
    • Posted

I might ask about the part time, I could do times when someone else is there just for the added reassurance. I'm following the doctors orders closely and taking it very very easy. I want to make a full recovery before I start back at work. It's just not worth the risk of damaging yourself. 
    • Posted

No I do agree but the better you feel the

More you start doing (even when you shouldn't lol) x

• Posted

Lol I can imagine! I've already caught myself thinking about doing something I shouldn't, I guess it's a matter of time before I start doing stuff without thinking! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.