20 weeks on 40 mg. I'm lost as what to do.

Posted , 8 users are following.

Well 20 weeks on 40 mg. If fluoxetine and I'm still down I've had some good or better days and weeks but this up and down routine is about to wear me down. I haven't felt well since the end of October. I'm tired. Could someone please give some reassurance on how they're journey on this stuff was a success. I know they say it can take months but after 5 I'm about worn down. I've lost too much weight and emotions are a roller coaster.

1 like, 52 replies

52 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Danny,

I have just found your post as I was searching for someone who has the same experience as me, and reading your posts is like reading about myself! I was on Citalopram for three years but I felt lathargic and sick on it, so I swapped to Fluoxetine. I have been on it now for 29 weeks, but only 21 of that on 40mg, so I am counting it from then. 

I have had had some very good weeks in the mix of the last few months, but no stability of mood. I thought I was completely better a couple of weeks ago, but since then have had nearly three weeks of feeling rotten again. I wake up early twitching and unable to get back to sleep, I feel low and anxious in the mornings and also after lunch particularly. I also have headaches and stomachaches. 

I too am wondering if this is as good as it gets, if I need to change again, is this really working etc. 

I am am happy to wait if this is going to work, but am scared it isn't working and I'll have to change again- I can't cope with this thought!!

J

• Posted

Hey Joanna.

Yeah I'm in the same boat. I too am hoping this is the last down before turning a corner. As you said just waiting and hoping for it to get better. I've been praying that it does. I started taking mine in the morning and afternoon hoping it would lessen the amped up feeling. Not sure that it has. Are you on 40 as well?

• Posted

Hi Danny,

Thanks for responding! Let's hope that this is our last down! It's not a pleasant one. I think once we hit the 6/7 month mark we will feel a lot better. I read somewhere that every time you restart an antidepressant it takes longer, and Fluoxetine takes longer anyway!

I am taking 40mg. Was previously taking 60mg Citalopram. 

I really relate late to what you were saying on the other thread about when some change occurs it sets you back. I had a funeral last week after a friend had a terrible accident, and I had a massive anxiety surge directly afterwards. I have also struggled today as I started back at work. These things would never have normally provoked such a strong reaction, so I can only suppose it's the Fluoxetine and the recovery process that's doing it.

It sucks!

• Posted

Hi I'm a little disheartened after reading this . I'm 3 weeks on these and it is hell . I really don't want to live through much more hell

• Posted

Hey Joanna. They had me on 60 cit as well trying to settle me on it then was gonna lower me back down but a manufacturer change got me. So they switched me to fluox at the end of Dec. and down to 40 from 60 of fluox. Still waiting. I've had good weeks and a good month not 100% but they were good. Sure ready. Today was not a good one anxiety and crying spells today. Almost felt like square one again.

• Posted

I shouldn't say that. I'm better than I was but not feeling well is not feeling well. I'm just ready to feel even better.

• Posted

Don't panic Spice- everyone is different. Most people will recover a lot more quickly than Danny and me. If you notice on this forum most people seem to be better at 12-16 weeks, so the likelihood is that you will be one of these. 

The start up on these is hell, you are right. I am better than I was at your stage, just only 50% better, which doesn't feel enough. Im sure you will be better very soon, just hang in there. And if it takes longer you will make it- I felt exactly as you do at your stage and I have somehow made it through 21 weeks! You have better times amongst the not-so-good times, so it isn't all bad.

Feel free to ask any questions. Is this the first time you have taken antidepressants?

• Posted

I am the same as you- a good month and some good weeks in the mix but also some bad weeks (this last two weeks being two of them!). I'm sorry you are having a bad week too.

Are you having trouble sleeping and eating? These are the most troublesome symptoms for me along with the anxiety.

• Posted

Thanks Joanna. Sorry your having a bad time as well. Yeah eating and sleeping are a problem for me as well. I eat a little for lunch and eat more at dinner. Sleep is just when I can fall asleep and awake usually early; very unsettled sleep. Not real restful. But gotta be thankful for what I get. I have a review tomorrow. I've let them know how I'm feeling. Just don't know what course to take. Stay the course I suppose. I'm sure they will want me to do something. Just don't know when the time is to say "try something else."

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.