20 years old and no job or social life

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hey guys!

This is my first time using a forum so bare with me. Basically I've had anxiety really all my life, I've never gone to social events or any type of social thing, parties or even a meal with friends. It's gotten far worse for the past year or so, to the point of not leaving the house at all apart from feeding my family horses, everyone in my family thinks I'm faking it or maybe they just don't understand.. I haven't had a job for a long time and my family keep telling me to stop being so lazy and to go and get one. Trouble is, I can't even leave the house... I get panic attacks, wobbly legs, my heart feels like it's beating out of my chest and I constantly feel on edge... My girlfriend lives with us and she tries her hardest to understand but I know she wishes we could go out and for me to get a job so we can move out, but I just can't at the moment. I have also felt seriously depressed this year and have had suicidal thoughts a lot lately (but only thoughts I haven't and probably will not go through with anything) I just don't know what to do... I have no friends, no job, and no family who wants to help... Even going to the doctors to talk to them is impossible... I just feel that I should just accept that this is going to be my life from now on... I just have given up. But I just wanted to try and talk to you guys and maybe make some online friends who I can talk to about stuff... Because at the moment I haven't got anyone apart from my girlfriend, and I don't want to burden her with this life.

Thanks for any and all replies.

Good luck to you all for living through this disorder!

Tom.

3 likes, 38 replies

38 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

That's not good at all. By staying in your house time will pass you by. You don't want that. You're young right now. It doesn't last forever time fly's by not trying to depress you even more but I'm saying this from the bottom of my heart. I just turned 25 in August and I am starting to regret not having gone out sooner I'm still stuck inside my house though. sad Been like that for 7 years after dropping out of college because it was too much for me. I tried to take my own life I was suffering from severe depression at that time. I have Anxiety/depression. I always  have avoided public places. I even avoid my family. I'm only good with my mom. I'm sorry your family doesn't understand. You're clearly not faking it. Who would willingly stay at home? No one. Everyone likes to go out. Then again everyone is different. But it's not good for you too inhibit yourself in your house. You need to go out. Have fun. Go with your family or gf to the movies, Beach, restaurant etc. Don't live a life of regret. Start doing now what you have always wanted to do. This is your Life! Don't waste it. Everyone is having fun out there and you're closing yourself inside your house. Good thing you're at least going outside. The sun is good. Being stuck indoors can make you worse. Cause depression because of lack of sun. I understand I won't go to the doctor either even though two days ago I was in great pain thought I was getting a heart attack. Don't give up. Push yourself you're the only one that can  really help yourself. My father never understood either until now after some things I did. Please try to get yourself help. I know it feels impossible. You feel you won't be able to handle it. But you can do it. Nothing bad will happen. I'm the worst adviser here. I can't even get myself out of my situation. Wish you the best!👍🙏You're not alone I've read so many more posts about the same problem. There's millions out there too. Have you tried online therapy? Small steps at a time. You can do this!👏💪🙏🙌

• Posted

Hey! Thanks for the reply!

I do really want to sort myself out and get out there, it just feels so daunting! And man, I'm sorry to hear that, I genuinely hope you and I can get through this! Ive only been on here a few days and I feel so much better that there is people who understand, I felt so alone haha. I think I'll call up my GP and speak to them.. I just need to get through this metaphorical wall in my head aha thanks again, I really hope you can sort it out as well, we all can do this!! 💪🏻

• Posted

I understand I feel the same way but with my family. They never go out when they come to visit in birthdays etc. We always make the party, cookout at home. I wish I could out with then to the beach, park, movies. Life passes by quickly. Time fly's by. The only regret we have is not doing these things. I know this may sound harsh. But now's the time don't wait and let years pass you by and you are still stuck in your house and land. You need to push yourself little by little. Nothing bad will happen our mind is controlling us at this point. We live in fear probably because of the panic we feel when trying to go out. 

Wish you the best! Life will get better once out of your comfort zone. Your house. Don't be a prisoner you are free go out and have fun. I say this from the bottom of my heart. I have been trapped inside my house for 7 years by my fear, avoided going out because of my panic attacks. Now I'm 25 and how would I like to turn back time. But that's impossible. I dropped out off college in 2010. I was very depressed and took bottles of p*lls. This is never the way out. We are vulnerable when depressed to act impulsively. Hope you get help. I understand the feeling I can't go get help either. Have you tried online therapy? Maybe some otc mediation so you can be more relaxed and go see your Doctor. Hope you get better very soon. 🙌👍Stay Strong💪 

• Posted

Man, I really want to go to family outings or take my girl to wherever... But I just feel so trapped, I'm glad you're still around man, the world is better thanks to you being here suicide is never ok, there's always people everywhere that will love and respect all of us, that's why I stopped myself a few times. And yes I agree I need to seize my life for myself! I hope you can finally message me back telling me you managed to leave your house man! I genuinely wish you all the best!😀

Tom

• Posted

Thank you for your kind words Tom but I don't think I will ever be able to go out. I hope you do go out in public with your gf and family.👍I understand the feeling I feel trapped too. Small steps at a time you can do it!

Ashley💖

• Posted

Small steps, we all can do this, you seem really cool and I think you could try your best... I get how you feel, but I'm always hear to talk to, if you wanna pm me we could maybe talk about stuff and see if we can help each other out x

• Posted

Thanks. You can pm me if you want to talk too.smile
  • Posted

I'd say this.  Where you're at.  Medication might help you a LOT.  I don't say that with any malice.  I say this as someone who was in the same situation.  I was always a social butterfly who became crippled with agoraphobia following a horrendous panic attack.  I was 19 at the time.  Couldn't even jog 1/2 way around my block without a full blown panic attack.  I couldn't see a way out.. fast forward, and now I'm enrolled in college with straight A's and in full pursuit of a nursing career of all things (talk about nerves).  I say all that only to not buy into the stigma that it has to define you.  Personally, I think If someone has a true panic disorder, just like a major depressive order, medication IS necessary.  Therapy along side it when medication kicks in can severely smooth out your life.  Anxiety boxes you in.. life wants to be free flowing.  You too can go along with that flow.  Good luck man.

• Posted

Hey thanks for the reply!

At this point I'd try anything haha I've heard it genuinely works.

I'm so glad to hear that, you must be very proud! It's so cool to hear others who figured it out and are now living great lives! I'm going to try to not let it control me anymore... It's best to act now rather than later!

All the best

Tom

• Posted

Hi Tomski,

Don't give up!! I've only been dealing with anxiety for a few months now ( & im 20 as well) and I know how awful it is and I can't imagine going through this my whole life. Even in the comparatively short time that I've been going through this , I also get depressed sometimes and wonder if it's even worth living like this. However, there are so many options out there for people with anxiety to get help. Have you tried therapy and/ or medication? It can take a lot of trial and error to find what works for you. I haven't found that yet but I'm trying everyday to continue living my normal life. its very hard for me To go out in the world everyday, and I get those feelings of feeling like I'm going to pass out, chest pains, shortnesst of breath etc., but somehow I push through and go to work/ school/ errands etc and sometimes I feel better about it than other times. I think it's important to push yourself and actively try to fight for your mental health and keep trying to feel better. I know how hard it is, and I still haven't found what works for me but please don't give up on yourself! I'm here for you

• Posted

Thank you so much for the message,

Im really glad you are able to start going to do things you find hard, it shows you're strong! And I know, I really gotta try, I'll try real slow and try to build up, and no I haven't tried that, but I think I'll try!!!

Thanks again :D

Tom

• Posted

Thank you very much! I may just take you up on that offer haha
  • Posted

Hey Tom. I saw your question and had to reply because your situation is the same as mine except i am 21 and don't have a girlfriend. You need to talk this over with people and maybe get on some medication. This is what I've done and I'm now going to 1 to 1 therapy and feeling much better. I think taking this step will make your parents aware that you are suffering. My parents never understood my anxiety, depression either but now i have that support now that I've talked about it. I have social anxiety too which it sounds like you may have, i simply hate being in public unless i get silly drunk on alcohol. Please see your doctor and ask about some therapy. Its a hard step to take, but if you don't, you may be like this forever. You gotta do it for your girlfriend, your family, and most importantly, yourself! Wishing you all the best. Sam. PS. feel free to message me on here if you have any questions or just wanna chat.

• Posted

Thanks for the reply Sam, i really think you may be right... Medication seems to be what people are suggesting the most... It's all a bit overwhelming ATM tho haha I hope I can resolve this and get better!

Tom

• Posted

I've just been coming off my medication lately and switching to something else and its putting me through hell right now. Its crazy how a matter of 19 days can change your views so much. Id say therapy then meds as a last resort if nothing works. Wishing you all the best.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.