200 ml of vodka...roughly 5 nights a week...best way to stop? Worried sick!

Posted , 10 users are following.

So for the last 8 months or so I have been drinking roughly 200 ml of vodka 5 or so nights a week. I usually start around 8 p.m. and go to bed by 10 or 11.

I just purely enjoy the relaxation. I rarely crave it, and when I dont drink I seem fine, but I know withdrawl symtpoms can take more than 2 days.

I have recently gone through some health anxiety scares and all of a sudden I am worried sick about my drinking habits and the long term affects and want to quit. However wanting to quit has also had me researching the best way to do it and I am scared of withdrawl. I dont know if 200 ml is a large amount or considered awful, although I know it's not good. My biggest concern is the length of time. 8 months is almost a year, and while I do have a night or 2 a week where I drink less or nothing...I am still worried.

200 ml is roughly equal to 4 beers. So it doesnt sound the worst, as I know people who drink 3 times that much...but I have literally found myself shaken over the thought of quiting.

I have a great life all in all. Work full time, have 4 kids, married 10 years and can wake up and get moving without a problem. It does not affect my daily life.

Can somebody please give me some pointers on how to quit on my own? Anybody else drink roughly that much? I appreciate any input. I do not want to seek help from my doctor, as I know I can quit on my own. I am just looking for the best way to do it as I hear cold turkey is worst.

Thank you for all your help and for taking the time to read.

2 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi, that is not a great amount - but it is to you and that will cause anxiety big time.  I have cut from 2 bottles a night to a glass and the only withdrawal I have had is lack of sleep.  No shakes, well I did whilst drinking heavily, but since I have my one glass, they have stopped.  I had slight dizziness the first few days but then it went and I started to feel more energy and more alive.  Then the lack of sleep came into it and spoilt it for me.

I have been drinking for 40 plus years daily and am fine with my glass of wine as my treat.  Defo don't just stop - lower it like I did to a little less each night.  Then you will be fine. 

Take care and keep on this forum, it is the best.....................G.

• Posted

hi amy...I haven't read any of the replies so forgive me if I am repeating someone else.

4 beers is not a lot...and if you have stopped for 2 days with no effects...just tell yourself...over and over...you will be ok...I have drank for much longer periods and much more alcohol and quit on my own (which is highly frowned upon) and got thru it.

I'm NOT saying you don't have a problem...maybe you do if it is affecting you to the point of finding a website to post this on....So, nip it in the butt....start being healthy as you want to be and I can pretty much assure you...you are not going to suffer horrible WITHDRAWAL.

if you still feel nervous...and feel safe talking to your Dr..ask for a couple of benzos...to get you thru about 1-5 days to reassure yourself that you aren't going to feel "edgy"...which with the amount your drinking my opinion is that all you may feel is a LITTLE edgy for about 4-5 days.

Good luck.

• Posted

rock on girl....you got this!

Live a long happy life....

• Posted

I guess my biggest concern with quitting is seizure or DT's....I have heard that you have to drink pretty heavily for that to occur, but I have also heard that it can occur with any amount. I am so scared of that happening. I lead a completely normal life other than drinking this 200 ml at night and yet, the thought of such severe side effects over something I thought nothing of makes me sick to think about.

• Posted

I think you are being overly cautious. Step down to 100ml per night for three nights and then you will be fine.

I am not medically trained, but speak from experience.

• Posted

Thats what I needed to hear...I feel like I am also being overly cautious as well, but just dont want to take any chances with 4 kids...I am on Lorazapam for Anxiety, and only take it when I absoutely have to...but I heard it can help while cutting down?
    • Posted

Lorezapam is a benzo, which is what they give you for a detox. You're probably only on 2mg tablets, but that will still help.

Now, it is up to you whether you want to stop ot not, but I doubt you will have any problems, other than missing the comfort of an evening drink. And that goes in to psychology, which I have explained many times in other threads.

I'm going to bow out the thread now, best of luck.

• Posted

You may not have any side effects. I stopped completely after many years of heavy drinking, with no side effects at all. Lucky maybe? Only a feeling of relief and achievement. Good luck! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.